Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a 75 gal cube build and was looking at a stocking list. Wanted to have a square tail bristle tooth tang as my centerpiece fish but figured I'd double check here before basing a stock list around it.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Starting a 75 gal cube build and was looking at a stocking list. Wanted to have a square tail bristle tooth tang as my centerpiece fish but figured I'd double check here before basing a stock list around it.
I think that would be ok. That's a small tang. I think it'll do well depending on the stock list for the rest of the fish.

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok 75 gal cube, will be sps dom. This is an upgrade from a 28 gal cube I have now. The fish I will be transferring over are a pair of clowns (black and orange storm) and a clown face goby. I plan on useing a fake sps insert for now to let my clown face gobey have his safe space till tank is mature enough to introduce some acros. The fish I would like to add are
Square tail bristle tooth
Randall's assessor basslet (if I can find one)
Red velvet fairy wrase
I would also like to add a pink bared gobey but think that may be over stocking. Open to input this is my biggest tank so far. Also open to stocking order suggestions.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a large Starry Blenny. I'm thinking about adding a Diamond Watchman Goby. Are they too close to the same body shape or should they be ok together?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a large Starry Blenny. I'm thinking about adding a Diamond Watchman Goby. Are they too close to the same body shape or should they be ok together?

They inhabit different areas, the watchman goby the sand and the blenny the rocks. More importantly have different appetites, as long as its not small or borderline line tank should limit the aggression issues.

Is a blenny so there could be the odd outlier that decides to be more boisterous.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They inhabit different areas, the watchman goby the sand and the blenny the rocks. More importantly have different appetites, as long as its not small or borderline line tank should limit the aggression issues.

Is a blenny so there could be the odd outlier that decides to be more boisterous.
Thanks, I was hoping that was the case!

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok 75 gal cube, will be sps dom. This is an upgrade from a 28 gal cube I have now. The fish I will be transferring over are a pair of clowns (black and orange storm) and a clown face goby. I plan on useing a fake sps insert for now to let my clown face gobey have his safe space till tank is mature enough to introduce some acros. The fish I would like to add are
Square tail bristle tooth
Randall's assessor basslet (if I can find one)
Red velvet fairy wrase
I would also like to add a pink bared gobey but think that may be over stocking. Open to input this is my biggest tank so far. Also open to stocking order suggestions.

If you are doing qt would do 2 groups.

The goby, assessor and fairy wrasse group 1. Added first.

Group 2 the clown pair and tang added last.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree 100%.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a exquisite fairy wrasse, red velvet fairy wrasse and a carpenter flasher wrasse be ok in a waterbox 130.4?

I'm looking for active swimmers that dont bury themselves and are pretty peaceful for a reef.

This should help, i believe a carpenter’s wrasse normally refers to a flasher wrasse.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This should help, i believe a carpenter’s wrasse normally refers to a flasher wrasse.
So they technically could all be together according to that little diagram. They arent in same group in that. If I understand it right.

The girl wants a leopard. But in worried they are hard to keep

Craigb350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Current stocklist is as follows

2 Tangs - Yellow and Purple
6 Wrasse - M&F Yellowtail tamarind, Pair of Black tail tamarind, Male Peacock wrasse and Potters wrasse
1 Goby - Pink spotted goby.

Tank is 100 Gallon 4 x 2 x 2

Mainly SPS, with Clams and inverts

Can I add a Pair of Watanabei Angels without too much drama?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they technically could all be together according to that little diagram. They arent in same group in that. If I understand it right.

The girl wants a leopard. But in worried they are hard to keep

They are difficult to acclimate, also hard to keep fed in newer systems. Microfauna eaters like these wait 1 or 2 years after you setup the tank and gauge if your system has matured to enough by eye at that time to try one of the easier species.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Current stocklist is as follows

2 Tangs - Yellow and Purple
6 Wrasse - M&F Yellowtail tamarind, Pair of Black tail tamarind, Male Peacock wrasse and Potters wrasse
1 Goby - Pink spotted goby.

Tank is 100 Gallon 4 x 2 x 2

Mainly SPS, with Clams and inverts

Can I add a Pair of Watanabei Angels without too much drama?

I would not add them given the foot print and the aggressiveness of purple tangs.

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSR 250 (54 gal DT, 35"x20"x21"), it has been cycled for a few months now. Sand bed is ~1" Reef Flakes. Rock work has a few large overhangs, and caves.

Current livestock - 2X Clowns and a Lawmower blenny. Also, some softie & LPS frags and CUC

Future plans (in order of adding):
1. Bangai Cardinal
2. Royal Gramma - probably will QT & add with the cardinal
3. Diamond Goby - Do I need a deeper sandbed, and are the reef flakes too big?
4. Reef safe flasher wrasse - not sure yet which one.
5. Starki Damsel
6. Green Mandarin (awhile down the road)

In general, will all those play well together?

Is that over stocking?

I chose those fish as I wanted to get a wide spread of color and also have fish in all levels of the tank. Is there something I am missing?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSR 250 (54 gal DT, 35"x20"x21"), it has been cycled for a few months now. Sand bed is ~1" Reef Flakes. Rock work has a few large overhangs, and caves.

Current livestock - 2X Clowns and a Lawmower blenny. Also, some softie & LPS frags and CUC

Future plans (in order of adding):
1. Bangai Cardinal
2. Royal Gramma - probably will QT & add with the cardinal
3. Diamond Goby - Do I need a deeper sandbed, and are the reef flakes too big?
4. Reef safe flasher wrasse - not sure yet which one.
5. Starki Damsel
6. Green Mandarin (awhile down the road)

In general, will all those play well together?

Is that over stocking?

I chose those fish as I wanted to get a wide spread of color and also have fish in all levels of the tank. Is there something I am missing?

Thats a lot of fish for a 50 gallon. I would narrow the list down to 2 additional must haves and 1 optional down the road if the tank remains peaceful and bio filter holds.

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot of fish for a 50 gallon. I would narrow the list down to 2 additional must haves and 1 optional down the road if the tank remains peaceful and bio filter holds.

That is understandable. So I am thinking:

1. Bangai Cardinal - not a fan, but wife loves them
2. Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
3. Starki Damsel

Should I introduce in that order, or could I do the Starki before the Lineatus? I can not find either available right now, so I am thinking I would just have to jump on whichever becomes available first and wait several months for the other.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is understandable. So I am thinking:

1. Bangai Cardinal - not a fan, but wife loves them
2. Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
3. Starki Damsel

Should I introduce in that order, or could I do the Starki before the Lineatus? I can not find either available right now, so I am thinking I would just have to jump on whichever becomes available first and wait several months for the other.

Ok so few words of caution on that list.

The starki there may be aggression issues
With your existing clown. They are both in the damsel family. While are a more peaceful damsel to other fish just not conspecifics.

And the lineatus is overly active for a 3 foot tank. Look at fairy wrasses around 3” like C. isosceles.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back