Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

SeaMonkeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you will most likely regret the damsels since they are aggressive. As for schooling fish there really is none that will school more than two or three.

brianw3185

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1

brianw3185

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just what I was looking for, I have a 36B, set up for reefing; I have a Lubbock's Wrasse and a Green Mandarin. I would like to add a Swissguard basslet and a Royal Gramma to complete the fish inventory (I would also like to add a Red Dragonet, but not likely?). Thanks!

SeaMonkeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just what I was looking for, I have a 36B, set up for reefing; I have a Lubbock's Wrasse and a Green Mandarin. I would like to add a Swissguard basslet and a Royal Gramma to complete the fish inventory (I would also like to add a Red Dragonet, but not likely?). Thanks!
I dont have experience with the basket but the royal gramma will be fine. As for the dragonet I would worry about not having enough pods since the mandarin and the wrasse both eat pods as well.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried chromis in the past a couple times and they always seem to kill each other off until you are left with one.
+1 to this. I started my tank out with 3 chromis. Over the course of 4 months 1 very obviously became the most dominant and bullied 1 to the point of never coming out of a tiny crevice in a rock, even for feeding and was beating up pretty hard on the other one as well. People tend to forget that they are still a type of damsel and, while peaceful with most other fish, they'll beat the hell out of each other. I ended up returning all 3.

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this is in here somewhere, but couldn’t find it.

I see numerous 10 gallon tanks with a pair of small clowns in it, so I always planned on getting a pair for my 10 gallon once the cycle was over. I was surprised when I was last at the LFS to hear that it wouldn’t be recommended. How concerning would it be to do (I complete weekly 10%water changes)?

My plan was to get two really small/young clowns and within a year I was going to be setting up a 75-90 gallon DT that they would be transferred to. Hate going against my LFS advice as they have never directed me wrong to this point, but seem to see it all the time.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this is in here somewhere, but couldn’t find it.

I see numerous 10 gallon tanks with a pair of small clowns in it, so I always planned on getting a pair for my 10 gallon once the cycle was over. I was surprised when I was last at the LFS to hear that it wouldn’t be recommended. How concerning would it be to do (I complete weekly 10%water changes)?

My plan was to get two really small/young clowns and within a year I was going to be setting up a 75-90 gallon DT that they would be transferred to. Hate going against my LFS advice as they have never directed me wrong to this point, but seem to see it all the time.
It can definitely be done, but you might run into some nutrient problems. The small space shouldn't be a big problem in terms of swimming room, as clowns don't really need too much of it, but definitely do your weekly water tests and appropriate water changes. Also I don't recommend any other fish in there with them, especially after they become an established mature pair.

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can definitely be done, but you might run into some nutrient problems. The small space shouldn't be a big problem in terms of swimming room, as clowns don't really need too much of it, but definitely do your weekly water tests and appropriate water changes. Also I don't recommend any other fish in there with them, especially after they become an established mature pair.
What nutrient problems might you predict in this scenario? I am pretty routine with my weekly water changes. As far as other fish, I only anticipate having members of a CUC besides the clowns. This is the "more difficult" warm-up for my anticipated DT where I will be able to expand my fish collection/family.

JustTheGirlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! I'm waiting on my 20g Nuvo Concept Pro Drop Off tank to arrive here shortly! My boyfriend has years of experience in this hobby, and I've been all over this forum over the past few days - awesome stuff! With that in mind, I realize I've got quite some time before I add livestock to my future tank, but half the fun for me is just researching and planning all of this out!

I'm new to the hobby and I've read that the Leopard Toby Puffer is also quite new to the hobby! I've gotten a few opinions thus far before finding this appropriate thread, so thought I'd give it a shot for more opinions here - I'd absolutely Love a Leopard Toby Puffer! Thoughts on it being happy in my future tank?

I do have an aquascape in mind to emphasize the drop off feel for the little guy as I've read he likes steep slopes, and also caves to hunker down in. Only growing up to 3" I have hopes to keep him happy in the 20g. However, if he does outgrow it he'll have a second home in my boyfriend's 110g tank. Am I delusional for thinking of keeping a Leopard Toby Puffer in my tank?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! I'm waiting on my 20g Nuvo Concept Pro Drop Off tank to arrive here shortly! My boyfriend has years of experience in this hobby, and I've been all over this forum over the past few days - awesome stuff! With that in mind, I realize I've got quite some time before I add livestock to my future tank, but half the fun for me is just researching and planning all of this out!

I'm new to the hobby and I've read that the Leopard Toby Puffer is also quite new to the hobby! I've gotten a few opinions thus far before finding this appropriate thread, so thought I'd give it a shot for more opinions here - I'd absolutely Love a Leopard Toby Puffer! Thoughts on it being happy in my future tank?

I do have an aquascape in mind to emphasize the drop off feel for the little guy as I've read he likes steep slopes, and also caves to hunker down in. Only growing up to 3" I have hopes to keep him happy in the 20g. However, if he does outgrow it he'll have a second home in my boyfriend's 110g tank. Am I delusional for thinking of keeping a Leopard Toby Puffer in my tank?
most toby puffers will do best in a tank of 30 gallons or more

JustTheGirlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most toby puffers will do best in a tank of 30 gallons or more

Yes, I've read that. That's partly why I'm wondering though if a baby puffer would be fine in my dropoff tank and watch it until it gets cramped, and if it acts cramped then would be OK to transfer to my boyfriend's 110g..?

Also wonder how the gallons needed for each species of fish is calculated? Is it just per inch of fish? Or really based on activity of the fish? I wonder since the Leopard Toby is slower moving and provides the vertical depths more if it would be happier to start in a 20g drop off tank vs. a 30g long style anyway..?? Just really curious about any in-depth insight!

Thanks!

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am not a puffer expert but my understanding is that tank size recommendations are made based on numerous factors. 1) how many body lengths can the fish swim in a straight line. 2) how big is the footprint of the tank and how large of a territory does the fish in question need to feel comfortable/to not get aggressive with tankmates. 3) how many gallons of water does the tank hold. Is the fish a messy eater? Is it a deep bodied fish that produces more waste? Fish that produce more waste or that need to be fed frequently are going to have a higher bioload. 4) how many pounds of rock can you fit in the tank/do you have a refugium. This is more for fish that need to be pecking constantly at algae or pods. Even a tiny fish needs a large tank if the fish needs to be constantly eating without wiping out the population of whatever it eats.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about a Flameback angel.

I have a 60 gallon cube that I’m cycling and snails/crabs going through fallow. Probably another 2 weeks till I can put the fish in.

flameback angel, tailspot blenny and cardinal already went through copper quarantine and are in a 10 gallon.

I tried to add a yellow watchman goby to the 10 gallon (trying to get him out of copper tank) but the flameback went bats..t crazy on him. I had to put watchman back in copper tank.

this worries me and I’m looking for a plan.
Should I put the flameback in the sump of my 60 cube (refugium section) until all other fish are in the final tank?
Any other suggestions?
Or is this guy just mean with less assertive fish?

the cardinal and tailspot hold their own with him, but I’m worried about the other fish I have so far, that are still in copper the with watchman.
Yellow corris wrasse
Green Clown Goby
Firefish goby

this is the refugium where he would go so I don’t think it would be too cruel.
9201695D-CAE8-4E0D-924E-5876ADEB1FE5.jpeg

JustTheGirlfriend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am not a puffer expert but my understanding is that tank size recommendations are made based on numerous factors. 1) how many body lengths can the fish swim in a straight line. 2) how big is the footprint of the tank and how large of a territory does the fish in question need to feel comfortable/to not get aggressive with tankmates. 3) how many gallons of water does the tank hold. Is the fish a messy eater? Is it a deep bodied fish that produces more waste? Fish that produce more waste or that need to be fed frequently are going to have a higher bioload. 4) how many pounds of rock can you fit in the tank/do you have a refugium. This is more for fish that need to be pecking constantly at algae or pods. Even a tiny fish needs a large tank if the fish needs to be constantly eating without wiping out the population of whatever it eats.

Thank you for all of that info, really appreciate the in-depthness !

MaggieH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I will be adding more fish to my tank soon, but unsure what I can get with my current fish. I have 2 clowns and 1 Saddle File Fish (Mimic File Fish). I am moving them to a 4ft tank soon and will want to add more fish. I am looking for non aggressive fish that will get along with my established fish.

Any tips?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back