Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one successfully and it was very fun until it jumped the tank (through the smallest hole). One of my LFS's has natural tanks with sand and corals and that's how I got a healthy one. As for an alternative how about an engineer goby. They get massive and are as big of sand movers and buriers as a diamond but are also far easier.

Here's one uncovering all my buried pipes.
IMG_4951.jpeg
Would they get too big for a 120g?

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently working on my 36 gallon bow front only fish residents currently are a 4 line and blue devil damsels , had a small green spotted puffer till recently looking to replace him but with what? The aquascape is very rocky with tons of hidey holes what do you guys think would be a good fit?

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they aggressive towards tankmates/reef safe?
They're considered peaceful. Territorial with each other but otherwise not bullies. The only issue is they will eat very small fish or shrimp but I'm talking guppies and very small shrimp. I've seen them eat small ghost shrimp for example but not anything even the size of a small peppermint. Basically the same as any medium sized fish you may keep like wrasse, angelfish, etc.
As I can't think said though they do get absolutely massive and in the right conditions can get 2' but I've only seen them over 1' in this one tank at the Shedd in Chicago. They grow pretty slowly so you shouldn't worry about a monster for a while.
IMG_4310.jpeg

Also here's a better source than me:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently working on my 36 gallon bow front only fish residents currently are a 4 line and blue devil damsels , had a small green spotted puffer till recently looking to replace him but with what? The aquascape is very rocky with tons of hidey holes what do you guys think would be a good fit?
Fanged blenny of the genus Meiacanthus
Royal Gramma
Maybe this is one of the rare times a dottyback would be a good idea.
Hawkfish is also a good personality though will eat shrimp

Whatever it is you should use an acclimation box to try and mitigate aggression with those fish.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking the same on the dottyback since they're spunky and can hold their own , suppose you can't keep a striped blenny and a dotty back cause they're too similar? The hawkfish is gonna have to be a pass since I do want to keep coral banded shrimp again.

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently setting up a 50gal FOWLR tank and was wondering if someone could give me advice on stocking choices? Currently my list includes an engineer goby, 2 clown fish, naoko fairy wrasse, royal gramma, flame angel, and firefish goby. Would this tank be overstocked? I have an aquamaxx1.5 hob skimmer and fluval c4 hob power filter. Thank you!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently setting up a 50gal FOWLR tank and was wondering if someone could give me advice on stocking choices? Currently my list includes an engineer goby, 2 clown fish, naoko fairy wrasse, royal gramma, flame angel, and firefish goby. Would this tank be overstocked? I have an aquamaxx1.5 hob skimmer and fluval c4 hob power filter. Thank you!
It's maybe a bit small for the angel and maybe the naoko. Might want to swap out the naoko with a flasher wrasse. Its not overstocked in numbers just got some high energy fish.

Other considerations:
Other fish to consider are cardinals and either a pink streaked wrasse or a wetmorella(possum) wrasse. Blennys too but some people say that they don't get on with firefish. Consider inverts too. I love a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp gives great color. Since it's a FOWLR you could get some of the fancy hermits. I had a beautiful hairy red legged hermit.

Tips:
Add the firefish first (you could add a couple just must at the same time).
Make sure your rocks are resting on the bottom not on the sand or else the engineer may excavate below and cause a tumble.

kmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's maybe a bit small for the angel and maybe the naoko. Might want to swap out the naoko with a flasher wrasse. Its not overstocked in numbers just got some high energy fish.

Other considerations:
Other fish to consider are cardinals and either a pink streaked wrasse or a wetmorella(possum) wrasse. Blennys too but some people say that they don't get on with firefish. Consider inverts too. I love a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp gives great color. Since it's a FOWLR you could get some of the fancy hermits. I had a beautiful hairy red legged hermit.

Tips:
Add the firefish first (you could add a couple just must at the same time).
Make sure your rocks are resting on the bottom not on the sand or else the engineer may excavate below and cause a tumble.
This was very helpful! Thank you, I really appreciate it!

Ryanj_426

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! :cool:
Hi, I have a newly cycled 5 Gallon Spec. I added a Yasha Goby 2 days ago and its doing very well! I was wondering at one point, if the addition of a pistol shrimp and possibly a Clownfish would be too much bioload? I currently do weekly 10% water changes and my temp is 77°. I've kept freshwater tanks for 8 years but this is my 1st saltwater tank so any help is appreciated!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a newly cycled 5 Gallon Spec. I added a Yasha Goby 2 days ago and its doing very well! I was wondering at one point, if the addition of a pistol shrimp and possibly a Clownfish would be too much bioload? I currently do weekly 10% water changes and my temp is 77°. I've kept freshwater tanks for 8 years but this is my 1st saltwater tank so any help is appreciated!
Personally I think the pistol and the clown addition would be fine, as long as no more fish are added. The pistol may pair up with the Yasha. Good choice in goby!

Ryanj_426

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think the pistol and the clown addition would be fine, as long as no more fish are added. The pistol may pair up with the Yasha. Good choice in goby!
thanks! is there a certain point to add them? like weeks apart? or could i add them same day and do a 2nd waterchange that week to combat an ammonia spike

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! is there a certain point to add them? like weeks apart? or could i add them same day and do a 2nd waterchange that week to combat an ammonia spike
Your last sentence :)

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking the same on the dottyback since they're spunky and can hold their own , suppose you can't keep a striped blenny and a dotty back cause they're too similar? The hawkfish is gonna have to be a pass since I do want to keep coral banded shrimp again.
No big deal if you pass on the hawkfish but I'm really enjoying mine and he's in with a cleaner shrimp, imo they won't mess with the shrimp if the shrimps big enough

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i have a 11G (40lt net) tank, i already have 2 clown inside. I would like to add a third and last fish. Is it possible? A frend would give me a damsel for free but not sure if it can fit, sorry for the photo, only one at hand ATM.

1668809600030.png

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i have a 11G (40lt net) tank, i already have 2 clown inside. I would like to add a third and last fish. Is it possible? A frend would give me a damsel for free but not sure if it can fit, sorry for the photo, only one at hand ATM.

1668809600030.png

Damsels are similar to clownfish and won't get along in a small tank I don't think. I'd go for a goby.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sposed to receive a 100g tank maybe next week. I wanted to ask a genuine question because I know all fish types are different but would like clarification

Ok, so most places I see seem to say a yellow tang could exist in a 100g however a powder brown tang, which as far as I can tell, grows to similar size seems to require like a 6' tank. What are the differences in these two tangs and how much would I regret letting a small powder brown tang grow up in a 100g? I'm assuming its aggression, or easily stressed or much more active or a combination of all of the above?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sposed to receive a 100g tank maybe next week. I wanted to ask a genuine question because I know all fish types are different but would like clarification

Ok, so most places I see seem to say a yellow tang could exist in a 100g however a powder brown tang, which as far as I can tell, grows to similar size seems to require like a 6' tank. What are the differences in these two tangs and how much would I regret letting a small powder brown tang grow up in a 100g? I'm assuming its aggression, or easily stressed or much more active or a combination of all of the above?
The Powder Brown is not normally a species that swims close to the reef and instead prefers the room for swimming. The Yellow tang (I personally believe this species also needs a 6’ tank to thrive) is less active and stays closer to the reef and caves in the wild.

If I were you I wouldn’t do those tangs in the tank as they would most likely stress out in the long term due to swim room and potentially die - if you went a powder brown, if these stress they risk diseases which can wipe out your entire fish stock. Instead I would personally go for a small Ctenochaetus species as these don’t get overly huge for tangs and can thrive in 4’ tanks. The ones I would recommend are one of these;
- Ctenochaetus binotatus
- Ctenochaetus flavicauda
- Ctenochaetus trunctatus
- Ctenochaetus cf. striatus
- Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus
- Ctenochaetus tominiensis

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back