Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@mdbannister has been thinking of adding a Gold Back Trigger to his 60 cube, but he's afraid it'll fight with his Harlequin Tusk when they mature.

Neither is well suited for a 60g.

LOLOL!! But my panther grouper loves it in there. Just kidding. :D:D

Kids, remember to always check the appropriate size tank for your fish. Also, never believe anything @Rakie says particularly if I'm mentioned in the post! ;Troll LOLOL

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOLOL!! But my panther grouper loves it in there. Just kidding. :D:D

Kids, remember to always check the appropriate size tank for your fish. Also, never believe anything @Rakie says particularly if I'm mentioned in the post! ;Troll LOLOL

@mdbannister -- Whaa? Dude, the kid at Petco told me if you put a baby fish in a small tank it will stay dwarf forever. . .

Are you saying my baby sailfish tank won't work? :'(
KNQKi.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, not that I'm aware of.

Most of the butterflies are 8" and up, though the tinkeri / declivis subgroup seem to run a bit smaller. (Not smaller enough for a 58 gallon tank, I'm afraid...) They're also pretty active fish, constantly on the move.

~Bruce

Last edited:

KernanTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a 75 gallon tank that is up and running. Parameters are all good and have added bio-spira. Would like to start with a pair of clownfish. Since I cycled the live rock for five weeks prior to putting in the tank and all of my parameters are good, should I wait to add a few clean up crew? There isn't really anything for them to eat yet. I had also thought about a soft coral for the clownfish. Is it just too early for that yet?

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a young RSR525XL, approx 60l, 23w, 22h with about 110gal DT.
Current stock;
Ocellaris pair
White Tail Bristletooth Tang

Thinking of adding some green chromis, 5 or 6. An alternative might be the captive bred Azure damsel.
I’d like to add an orchid dottyback. Is it possible to add two orchid dottybacks? Or an orchid and a splendid?
Will either of these prevent adding a fairy or halichoeres wrasse?

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally put together my wishlist for my 180 (6ft) upgrade. Hopefully it looks alright... suggestions and substitutes definitely welcome.

Existing stock in 65 to be put in 180:
Ocellaris clown x1
Royal Gramma x1
Pink Streaked Wrasse x1
Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse x1
Firefish x1
Tailspot Blenny x1

Want to add to existing stock in 180:
Midas Blenny x1
H. Claudia x1
H. Chrysus x1
Chevron tang x1
Scopas tang x1
Hippo tang x1
Convict tang x1
Blue green chromis x1
Juvenile ocellaris clown x1
Lyretail anthias females x5
White banded Possum Wrasse x1
Derasa Clam

Major concerns are too many big fish leading to aggression issues and the tank looking small. Also will that many fish be a bioload issue with an SPS dominate reef? (30" lifereef skimmer + 20 gallon refugium)

Thanks in advance!

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally put together my wishlist for my 180 (6ft) upgrade. Hopefully it looks alright... suggestions and substitutes definitely welcome.

Ocellaris clown x1
Royal Gramma x1
Pink Streaked Wrasse x1
Firefish x1
Tailspot Blenny x1

Midas Blenny x1
H. Claudia x1
H. Chrysus x1
Chevron tang x1
Scopas tang x1
Hippo tang x1
Convict tang x1
Blue green chromis x1

Major concerns are too many big fish leading to aggression issues and the tank looking small. Also will that many fish be a bioload issue with an SPS dominate reef? (30" lifereef skimmer + 20 gallon refugium)

Thanks in advance!

That might be a little bit too much fish. Maybe have a trio of anthias instead of 5 or take away one tang.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a 75 gallon tank that is up and running. Parameters are all good and have added bio-spira. Would like to start with a pair of clownfish. Since I cycled the live rock for five weeks prior to putting in the tank and all of my parameters are good, should I wait to add a few clean up crew? There isn't really anything for them to eat yet. I had also thought about a soft coral for the clownfish. Is it just too early for that yet?

Have you been feeding the bacteria anything? A shrimp, some fishfood, or some ammonia to keep them ticking over while the rock is cycling? Have you tested the water over time, seen ammonia and nitrites rise, then fall? You could be good to go . . . I've added Cleanup Crew to my tank - ahead of fish - because a lights-on cycle left me with plenty of diatoms to feed 'em.

I have a young RSR525XL, approx 60l, 23w, 22h with about 110gal DT.
Current stock;
Ocellaris pair
White Tail Bristletooth Tang

Thinking of adding some green chromis, 5 or 6. An alternative might be the captive bred Azure damsel.
I’d like to add an orchid dottyback. Is it possible to add two orchid dottybacks? Or an orchid and a splendid?
Will either of these prevent adding a fairy or halichoeres wrasse?

Green chromis seem to have two problems going on; Uronema disease, and their tendency to whittle their numbers down to one. I've got a trio of azure damsels in a 65 gallon, and recommend them fairly highly. Two orchid dottybacks, added while they're small, will often pair up, and sometimes spawn. I'd go with two orchids, rather than an orchid and a something-else, and don't _think_ they'd automatically prevent you from adding a wrasse - though you might want to use a social acclimation box to do it.

Ocellaris clown x1
Royal Gramma x1
Pink Streaked Wrasse x1
Firefish x1
Tailspot Blenny x1

Midas Blenny x1
H. Claudia x1
H. Chrysus x1
Chevron tang x1
Scopas tang x1
Hippo tang x1
Convict tang x1
Blue green chromis x1
Derasa Clam

Thanks in advance!

Choose your "must-have" fish, and work those into the plan early - then test on a regular basis, and add fish as your system becomes ready. If you're worried about the look of too many big fish, maybe swap some big ones out for some smaller species; a shrimp/goby pair, perhaps a geometric perchlet or three...

~Bruce

~Bruce

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been feeding the bacteria anything? A shrimp, some fishfood, or some ammonia to keep them ticking over while the rock is cycling? Have you tested the water over time, seen ammonia and nitrites rise, then fall? You could be good to go . . . I've added Cleanup Crew to my tank - ahead of fish - because a lights-on cycle left me with plenty of diatoms to feed 'em.

Green chromis seem to have two problems going on; Uronema disease, and their tendency to whittle their numbers down to one. I've got a trio of azure damsels in a 65 gallon, and recommend them fairly highly. Two orchid dottybacks, added while they're small, will often pair up, and sometimes spawn. I'd go with two orchids, rather than an orchid and a something-else, and don't _think_ they'd automatically prevent you from adding a wrasse - though you might want to use a social acclimation box to do it.

Choose your "must-have" fish, and work those into the plan early - then test on a regular basis, and add fish as your system becomes ready. If you're worried about the look of too many big fish, maybe swap some big ones out for some smaller species; a shrimp/goby pair, perhaps a geometric perchlet or three...

~Bruce

~Bruce

Unfortunately my "must haves" for the new tank are the Scopas, Hippo, Chevron and two H. Wrasses, which I would want to introduce last correct? That would make things tricky it seems...

As far as the list goes, any possible compatibility issues? Would be a good first step in cutting out some options.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost wish I could see some... The closest I can see to conflict might be the two Halichoeres sp. or the two Wetmorella sp. - but I honestly don't think they'll be a problem if you socially acclimate.

~Bruce

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~Bruce
Uronema. I use CP in QT but risking my clowns for a few damsels/chromis seems like a bad idea. The Azures are captive bred but could easily be infected in the holding tanks.
Thanks

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is an opportunistic parasite - it doesn't have to parasitize (and often doesn't) but can lurk anywhere until a fish becomes compromised. Most fish, in good health, will be safe - fish with any injury can fall victim.

~Bruce

R€€F @DD¡ÇT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 75g or so tank. Stocked with:

Small tomini tang
Foxface
Sand sifting goby
Cleaner wrasse
Whip fin fairy
Melanarus wrasse

6 fish in total

Currently the tomini tang is probably the most aggressive. Nothing serious, justs won't let anything near his cave. Foxface is pretty timid, melanarus seems to mind it's own.

I want to change it up a bit and get rid of the whip fin, sand sifter and possibly the foxface.

I'd like to add:

3x zebra dartfish
Yellow banded Possum wrasse
McCoskers/Carpenters flasher wrasse
Smiths blenny
Orangeback fairy
Labouts/Ruby head/exquisite fairy
2x Chalk basslets

I will take the tomini out and move him to a frag tank for a few months and then add him last to let the others settle. So I'd end up with these fish in this order:

Melanarus + Cleaner wrasse + maybe foxface (existing)
3x zebra dartfish
Possum wrasse
Flasher wrasse
Smiths blenny
Orangeback fairy
Other fairy
2x Chalk basslets
Tomini tang

Total of 13 or 14 fish.

Currently with 6 fish I'm struggling to get my nitrates and phosphates up. Currently running a deltec rated for around 3x tank volume and Seachem matrix as filtration.

Any thoughts on this stocking idea?

John Lohsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to come up with a stock list for a 150 I am taking from a friend. I know I want:
a pair of occ clowns
a BTA.
Royal Gramma
6 line wrasse

some sort of tang, be it yellow or blue hippo
some sort of dwarf angel, either flame or coral beauty

He has a pair of cardinals he is giving me, and a sand sifting goby

Any other suggestions?
It will be a mixed reef tank. I am looking for peaceful, and fairly reef safe. I know the wrasse is a gamble, but my last one was fine.

Thank in advance!
I have a yellow tang and a foxface for algae control. I understand hippo fangs are not good at algae control. I was starting to get some green hair algae and these guys took care of it in a hurry.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 75g or so tank. Stocked with:

Small tomini tang
Foxface
Sand sifting goby
Cleaner wrasse
Whip fin fairy
Melanarus wrasse

6 fish in total

Currently the tomini tang is probably the most aggressive. Nothing serious, justs won't let anything near his cave. Foxface is pretty timid, melanarus seems to mind it's own.

I want to change it up a bit and get rid of the whip fin, sand sifter and possibly the foxface.

I'd like to add:

3x zebra dartfish
Yellow banded Possum wrasse
McCoskers/Carpenters flasher wrasse
Smiths blenny
Orangeback fairy
Labouts/Ruby head/exquisite fairy
2x Chalk basslets

I will take the tomini out and move him to a frag tank for a few months and then add him last to let the others settle. So I'd end up with these fish in this order:

Melanarus + Cleaner wrasse + maybe foxface (existing)
3x zebra dartfish
Possum wrasse
Flasher wrasse
Smiths blenny
Orangeback fairy
Other fairy
2x Chalk basslets
Tomini tang

Total of 13 or 14 fish.

Currently with 6 fish I'm struggling to get my nitrates and phosphates up. Currently running a deltec rated for around 3x tank volume and Seachem matrix as filtration.

Any thoughts on this stocking idea?

This sounds like a pretty well-though-out plan! I'd use a social acclimation box for the wrasses, but you should be pretty good here.

~Bruce

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
320ish gallons... mixed reef with usual cuc.

Fish stock currently (approx sizes in inches)
Breeding pair of maroon clowns (6 & 5)
Orange shoulder tang (8)
Yellow tang (5)
Regal tang (6)
Heniochus butterfly (6)
Copperband bf (6)
3 x humbug damsels (4, 4 & 3)
Caribbean blue bass (4)
Yellow coris wrasse (5)
Green wrasse (7)
Coral hawkfish (5)
Coral beauty (3)

The copperband is off to a new tank shortly and I should be getting a Sailfin tang and cleaner wrasse in the next couple of weeks, although I've the option to pull out of that purchase with no issues.

OST is the tank boss, no real aggression, just a bit of posturing at the other tangs and the clowns rule the brickwork, but they happily keep to their cave.

Would like a PBT, but the tangs currently all get along so don't want to risk upsetting the balance with a belligerent one, is this likely? Never had one before, so unsure and read such conflicting experiences with them.

I considered a vlamingi but had massive concerns over adult size so put out to a vote on here... head had to rule heart in the end and it was discounted.

So final consideration would be to a pair of blue throat triggers...

I have the option to move fish out to another tank (the misfit home!) which is occupied by another 3 Caribbean blue bass (they were the survivors when the 4th decided to go all Charles Bronson on them), a yellow boxfish and soon to be home to the CBB.

Whatever I get next is likely to be the last fish in the DT... I want something of a showpiece which I think both the PBT and the blue throats would satisfy.

What are the thoughts on which would be best or which would / wouldn't work?

If I plumped for the PBT for example, would I need to remove the other tangs and reintroduce all at the same time?

If I've missed an obvious candidate for a final resident feel free to suggest an alternative.

Cheers.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
320ish gallons... mixed reef with usual cuc.

Fish stock currently (approx sizes in inches)
Breeding pair of maroon clowns (6 & 5)
Orange shoulder tang (8)
Yellow tang (5)
Regal tang (6)
Heniochus butterfly (6)
Copperband bf (6)
3 x humbug damsels (4, 4 & 3)
Caribbean blue bass (4)
Yellow coris wrasse (5)
Green wrasse (7)
Coral hawkfish (5)
Coral beauty (3)

The copperband is off to a new tank shortly and I should be getting a Sailfin tang and cleaner wrasse in the next couple of weeks, although I've the option to pull out of that purchase with no issues.

OST is the tank boss, no real aggression, just a bit of posturing at the other tangs and the clowns rule the brickwork, but they happily keep to their cave.

Would like a PBT, but the tangs currently all get along so don't want to risk upsetting the balance with a belligerent one, is this likely? Never had one before, so unsure and read such conflicting experiences with them.

I considered a vlamingi but had massive concerns over adult size so put out to a vote on here... head had to rule heart in the end and it was discounted.

So final consideration would be to a pair of blue throat triggers...

I have the option to move fish out to another tank (the misfit home!) which is occupied by another 3 Caribbean blue bass (they were the survivors when the 4th decided to go all Charles Bronson on them), a yellow boxfish and soon to be home to the CBB.

Whatever I get next is likely to be the last fish in the DT... I want something of a showpiece which I think both the PBT and the blue throats would satisfy.

What are the thoughts on which would be best or which would / wouldn't work?

If I plumped for the PBT for example, would I need to remove the other tangs and reintroduce all at the same time?

If I've missed an obvious candidate for a final resident feel free to suggest an alternative.

Cheers.
The pbt should be fine in that size tank. Use a social acclimation box for a few days to prevent it from getting beat up to bad at introduction. However, over time he will likely become tank boss, but with a few other tangs in there aggression should be diffused.

A pr of bluejaw triggers should also work fine.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder with: an occelaris, a kole tang, a solonensis wrasse, and a melanurus wrasse

I am setting up a 5'x2'x2' 150 gallon in the next few weeks. I will have the opportunity to keep both tanks up for a short time, so I could have a specific order of additions. I will be keeping all the current fish.

Fish I would like to add:
-A group of anthias: recommendation on species and number?
-A single Bartlett's anthias
-A purple OR blue Caribbean tang
-Another fairy wrasse (like a Scott's or cyanopleura)

What would you recommend for this species list? Also, what would be the recommended order for adding the new fish with the current fish? I have a 75gallon sump + 55 gallon refugium and a vertex alpha 200, if that impacts bioload thoughts.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back