Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO! New Reefer here :)

My tank is a FOWLR 36 gal bowfront with a 20 gal sump.

Here is my current gameplan:

1x Valentini puffer (have)
1x Yellow watchman goby (have)
10x Hermits and 2x turbo snails (have)

2x Mocha Vinci Clowns (ordered)

Help Me Choose:

Swimmers-

Orchid dottyback
Midas Blenny
Zebra bar dartfish
Pink streak wrasse
whitespot pygmy filefish

Perchers-
Pygmy Coral Groucher
Flame Hawk
Fingered dragonett (tank too small?)

Inverts:
bubble anemone
brittle star
pistol shrimp
pencil urchin
emerald crab

any other additions are HIGHLY welcome. I want a colorful balance and to make sure all of my bases are covered with cleaners. Eventually I will add corals, but I may wait until I upgrade to a larger system.
I wouldn’t get married to having inverts with that puffer. I had a valentini puffer too (swim in peace little guy) and he absolutely decimated any invertebrate I threw in there to attempt to help control algae. Completely eviscerated a large sally lightfoot crab in less than 3 hours

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t get married to having inverts with that puffer. I had a valentini puffer too (swim in peace little guy) and he absolutely decimated any invertebrate I threw in there to attempt to help control algae. Completely eviscerated a large sally lightfoot crab in less than 3 hours

Holy cow! So far my guy is okay with the hermits. Hes not attacking them too bad.

Gxry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 88g reefer with

2 black ice clowns
1 FireFish
1 Yellow Tang
2 Cleaner shrimp

was hoping to add a few more fish in the future and was think about a neon goby and black cap basslet. Would love a pistol shrimp but am unsure what to pair him with. Any ideas or suggestions as to stocking would be appreciated

KimberlyMary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

just starting out with 60g fish only tank. My cycle seems to be nearing an end and I had some questions about CUC stock. My questions go a little deeper than stock alone so sorry if this isn’t the appropriate thread!

I wanted Mexican turbo snails and Cleaner shrimp. Did research and see that calcium is a factor for the turbos so decided nassarius & astrea snails may be the better way to go. Was also doing research on Cleaner shrimp and seen one site mention iodine needs but I want to stay away from a lot of deeper chemistry and supplements until I’m ready to transition to keep corals.

Would Nassarius snails, Astrea snails and Cleaner shrimp be appropriate for my tank? Do Cleaner shrimp require iodine supplement or was this irrelevant information? How many of each would you recommend? Do you have any better recommendations? Should I try and focus on some of the deeper chemistry now instead of waiting?

Da_Neefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I set up a new 22g long tank 36x12x12 almost 3 weeks ago and am contemplating what fish to get for it when the cycle finishes. I'd like utility in pest control as well as personality and of course, looks. Please let me know what you think of this stocking list

Aquamaxx HF-M HOB filter, skimmer, fuge for filtration along with an inch of aragonite sand.

Possum wrasse
Orange striped prawn goby
bicolor or 2 spot blenny
pair of clowns
pistol shrimp
cleaner shrimp
peppermint shrimp
trochus snails

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

just starting out with 60g fish only tank. My cycle seems to be nearing an end and I had some questions about CUC stock. My questions go a little deeper than stock alone so sorry if this isn’t the appropriate thread!

I wanted Mexican turbo snails and Cleaner shrimp. Did research and see that calcium is a factor for the turbos so decided nassarius & astrea snails may be the better way to go. Was also doing research on Cleaner shrimp and seen one site mention iodine needs but I want to stay away from a lot of deeper chemistry and supplements until I’m ready to transition to keep corals.

Would Nassarius snails, Astrea snails and Cleaner shrimp be appropriate for my tank? Do Cleaner shrimp require iodine supplement or was this irrelevant information? How many of each would you recommend? Do you have any better recommendations? Should I try and focus on some of the deeper chemistry now instead of waiting?
The trace amounts of iodine and such will usually come in 99% of salt mixes. And calcium will only ever be a problem if your tank is full of sps and clams. You should be perfectly fine with all of those CUC members you listed, including the turbo snails.

KimberlyMary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trace amounts of iodine and such will usually come in 99% of salt mixes. And calcium will only ever be a problem if your tank is full of sps and clams. You should be perfectly fine with all of those CUC members you listed, including the turbo snails.
Thanks! I'm currently using Instant Ocean salt.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I was planning to do a bit more research before I posted here but figured I could use some help and continue research at the same time. This is several years out as I will be moving in 2 years and I'm in Hawaii so no reef tank. I plan to have a 10'+ long x 36"wide x 30" tall (subject to change but in that ball park) mixed reef. Some of the fish on this list are probe to nip meatier corals, clams, etc. This list is more of a list of fish I would like rather than a list of fish I think I will keep so I'm asking for help in whittling it down and or some advise in alternatives. Equipment will be something like this: lighting will most likely be LEDs or perhaps LED/T5, a large fuge, CA Rx, skimmer in a fairly large sump with enough room for any additional reactors, filter socks perhaps, a boiler powered heater (similar to @AlexGif you are familiar with his setup), 2-3" sanded and rockwork with many caves/ swimthroughs/ arches/ etc.
On to the potential inhabitants:
• *Achilles tang
• Yellow mimic tang
• Maculiceps tang
• Yellow eyed Kole tang
• Chevron tang
• Spotted yellow eyed tang
• Lieutenant tang
• Purple tang
• Blue hippo tang (yellow belly)
• *Desjardin Sailfin tang and/or red sea
• dussumieri tang or fowleri tang (probably will never have either but its nice to dream)
• CBB (more likely to try than moorish idol but same concerns)
• *Pyramid butterfly and/or zosters (several)
• *Leopard wrasse (potter's, blue star) after established pod population
• Lenardi wrasse
• *Flasher wrasse harem of perhaps 4 or 5 (mccosker's or filamented)(flasher wrasses would be chosen over anthias probably)
• Group of anthias (psuedoanthias) if there are any that might be compatible with flasher wrasses.
• Fairy wrasse (purple-lined wrasse?)
• Borbonius anthias (not sure if they also don't get along with flasher wrasses)
• Bangai cardinals (no more than 2 and I may not chose to get them due to the short life expectancy)
• Court jester goby
• Gold lined rabbitfish and/or orange spot rabbitfish
• Two spot goby and/or orange prawn goby
• *Dragonette (blue or red) once pods are established
• Two spot blenny
• Midas blenny
• Eibli angel
• Japanese swallowtail angel
• Majestic angel
• Goldflaked angel
• Scribbled angelfish
• Moorish idol (not likely to get due to low survival rate)
• *Marine beta
• Royal gramma (several not sure how they would do i have seen that they don't do well with conspecifics but I was hoping to be able to have 2-3 in such a large tank)
• Scisortail damsels (Chrysiptera genus)
• Some type of dartfish (zebra barred and/or firefish)
• Bluehead tilefish (live aquaria says 3" substrate)
• Randal's goby/ orange striped prawn (and shrimp)
• Panda goby
• occelaris clown pair or 2

Its a lot to read through thank you to anyone who made it this far, double thank you to anyone who offers advice ;)

*almost definite additions

I'm not married to having that many angels as I know they are likely to nip clams and corals but I would like a couple if possible.

Byrd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm still in the process of setting up my tank (280g) but I want to start planning my inhabitants so take a look at the list and let me know the compatibilities and also make any suggestions of fish and inverts that would go great in a peaceful reef

2x mandarin gobies (after established pods)
2x red scooter blennies (after established pods)
4x flasher wrasse
Yellow watchman goby
Yellow banded possum wrasse
Gulf signal blenny
Starry blenny
Royal gramma basset
2x ocellaris clowns
2x fire fish
2x scissortail dart fish
Block clown goby
Yellow tang
2 Scarlett skunk cleaner shrimp
2 sexy anemone shrimp
Pistol shrimp
Blue banded coral shrimp
Emerald crab
Pom pom crab
Strawberry crab
Porcelain anemone crab

Seems like a lot when I was typing it but I think its going to be a rather bare tank. Any suggestions for free swimmers?

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you will be able to find a gulf signal blenny and if I remember right they are a cooler water fish. Beautiful but I don't think suitable for a reef tank.

nick76lebanon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I am new to the hobby and just bought a 75g tank. I was hoping to get some advice on some cool looking reef safe fish. I wanted a couple clowns for sure and maybe some tangs, but not sure which ones are reef safe. Thanks!
I also have a 75 gallon tank and I really like my yellow tang. If you plan on having more than one you need to add them at the same time though because they can be aggressive towards each other. Another reef safe fish I have that I think is interesting is a bicolor blenny. When I first got mine he didn't come out for the first week or so but now he's all over the tank perching on the rocks and the corals, he seems to really like swimming through small holes in my rocks as well. I just added a jewel damsel and its also a really gorgeous fish you can keep!

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just got a new 60-gallon tank. I also have a 20-gallon tank with one Orchid Dottyback and 2 ocellaris clownfish. I am going to let the new tank cycle and then in the future add my fish from my 20-gallon tank. I am not planning on getting any new fish anytime soon but I am wanting to plan ahead and do lots of reacherch. What other fish would you recommend for me? I am new to the hobby and I would like if possible some fish that help clean the tank but also look stunning. Thank you!!!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm still in the process of setting up my tank (280g) but I want to start planning my inhabitants so take a look at the list and let me know the compatibilities and also make any suggestions of fish and inverts that would go great in a peaceful reef

2x mandarin gobies (after established pods)
2x red scooter blennies (after established pods)
4x flasher wrasse
Yellow watchman goby
Yellow banded possum wrasse
Gulf signal blenny
Starry blenny
Royal gramma basset
2x ocellaris clowns
2x fire fish
2x scissortail dart fish
Block clown goby
Yellow tang
2 Scarlett skunk cleaner shrimp
2 sexy anemone shrimp
Pistol shrimp
Blue banded coral shrimp
Emerald crab
Pom pom crab
Strawberry crab
Porcelain anemone crab

Seems like a lot when I was typing it but I think its going to be a rather bare tank. Any suggestions for free swimmers?
Actually sounds good for the 280g. I like smaller fish too. Careful to have lots of pods for those 4 fish unless you can get them eating frozen or prepared foods. I love Genicanthus spp. angelfish and they are good free swimmers. Out most the time. Kole tangs are out all the time once established. Are you having corals or clams? What kind? Impacts fish a lot. Foxface are fun too.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I was planning to do a bit more research before I posted here but figured I could use some help and continue research at the same time. This is several years out as I will be moving in 2 years and I'm in Hawaii so no reef tank. I plan to have a 10'+ long x 36"wide x 30" tall (subject to change but in that ball park) mixed reef. Some of the fish on this list are probe to nip meatier corals, clams, etc. This list is more of a list of fish I would like rather than a list of fish I think I will keep so I'm asking for help in whittling it down and or some advise in alternatives. Equipment will be something like this: lighting will most likely be LEDs or perhaps LED/T5, a large fuge, CA Rx, skimmer in a fairly large sump with enough room for any additional reactors, filter socks perhaps, a boiler powered heater (similar to @AlexGif you are familiar with his setup), 2-3" sanded and rockwork with many caves/ swimthroughs/ arches/ etc.
On to the potential inhabitants:
• *Achilles tang
• Yellow mimic tang
• Maculiceps tang
• Yellow eyed Kole tang
• Chevron tang
• Spotted yellow eyed tang
• Lieutenant tang
• Purple tang
• Blue hippo tang (yellow belly)
• *Desjardin Sailfin tang and/or red sea
• dussumieri tang or fowleri tang (probably will never have either but its nice to dream)
• CBB (more likely to try than moorish idol but same concerns)
• *Pyramid butterfly and/or zosters (several)
• *Leopard wrasse (potter's, blue star) after established pod population
• Lenardi wrasse
• *Flasher wrasse harem of perhaps 4 or 5 (mccosker's or filamented)(flasher wrasses would be chosen over anthias probably)
• Group of anthias (psuedoanthias) if there are any that might be compatible with flasher wrasses.
• Fairy wrasse (purple-lined wrasse?)
• Borbonius anthias (not sure if they also don't get along with flasher wrasses)
• Bangai cardinals (no more than 2 and I may not chose to get them due to the short life expectancy)
• Court jester goby
• Gold lined rabbitfish and/or orange spot rabbitfish
• Two spot goby and/or orange prawn goby
• *Dragonette (blue or red) once pods are established
• Two spot blenny
• Midas blenny
• Eibli angel
• Japanese swallowtail angel
• Majestic angel
• Goldflaked angel
• Scribbled angelfish
• Moorish idol (not likely to get due to low survival rate)
• *Marine beta
• Royal gramma (several not sure how they would do i have seen that they don't do well with conspecifics but I was hoping to be able to have 2-3 in such a large tank)
• Scisortail damsels (Chrysiptera genus)
• Some type of dartfish (zebra barred and/or firefish)
• Bluehead tilefish (live aquaria says 3" substrate)
• Randal's goby/ orange striped prawn (and shrimp)
• Panda goby
• occelaris clown pair or 2

Its a lot to read through thank you to anyone who made it this far, double thank you to anyone who offers advice ;)

*almost definite additions

I'm not married to having that many angels as I know they are likely to nip clams and corals but I would like a couple if possible.
That is a large list. Are you having any clams? When you narrow it down a bit, let us know. Also, the final tank size will matter. Good luck on the move.

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great BUT! I've got "expert only" fish that don't die. Easy GSP won't live in my tanks. My ''reef safe" Hippo tang does the most damage, moving rocks, flipping over corals.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to have clams and the size mentioned is what I'm planning for right now. I was hoping to get some help with narrowing down the list. Do you have experience knowledge with these angels? I know it can be hit or miss with angels and inverts but I would like to have a few angels.
That is a large list. Are you having any clams? When you narrow it down a bit, let us know. Also, the final tank size will matter. Good luck on the move.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest worry is the clams. I keep clams and have to be very careful with my fish choice. They can suddenly decide to nip and clams do not handle that well. Same with some inverts.

I would not keep angels outside of Genicanthus spp. No butterflies (I had a copperband, eventually began eating lps). Not had experience with zosters. Have thought about it, but clams are an issue with them too in my research.

I do not have lots of personal experience with tangs except the Zebrasoma and Bristletooths. Any of those would be fine in the tank. Multiple yellows can be done if added same time. I havehelped my friend though many issues with powder blue, hippo, and larger angels tho.

Anthias are great if you get them healthy and feed often. I had a group for many years that i put through qt. They lived a bit over 5 years, so good lifespan. I had two other groups that did not live as long due to aggression by current ones and other fish. Heartbreaking to lose them after getting them healthy through qt and seeing them dwindle in dt over many months.

I like blennies, but careful adding too many similar. They can be jerks. I love lawnmower ones as they are great cleaners and such cool personalities.

I like clown gobies. They are fun too. Love any of the shrimp gobies and shrimp. Such a fun relationship to watch.

Tilefish and dartfish I have not had. I know their is a reason, cannot remember off hand. I know I have carpet nems, so I have to be careful with some. My hadonnis are in a special tank now after eating three dragonettes, one magnificent foxface, kole tang, ugh!

Bangaii are fine and generally tolerant of others except sometimes their own kind. They hover, so very different from active swimming fish.

In a large system, you can get away with multiples of those single only specimens because you can provide more caves and shelter and more territories. Good luck!

Byrd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually sounds good for the 280g. I like smaller fish too. Careful to have lots of pods for those 4 fish unless you can get them eating frozen or prepared foods. I love Genicanthus spp. angelfish and they are good free swimmers. Out most the time. Kole tangs are out all the time once established. Are you having corals or clams? What kind? Impacts fish a lot. Foxface are fun too.
I do plan on having corals but I'm going to stick with easy beginner stuff, I like the thought of a clam but I haven't done much research on them, I have also been floating the idea of some rock flower nems but still researching them.

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just got a new 60-gallon tank. I also have a 20-gallon tank with one Orchid Dottyback and 2 ocellaris clownfish. I am going to let the new tank cycle and then in the future add my fish from my 20-gallon tank. I am not planning on getting any new fish anytime soon but I am wanting to plan ahead and do lots of reacherch. What other fish would you recommend for me? I am new to the hobby and I would like if possible some fish that help clean the tank but also look stunning. Thank you!!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back