Need help determining the right size jabeo ow wavemaker.

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers! I have a 4ft, 55 gallon, lps and softie tank. My current flow (excluding sump return) is a korlia 425 and sunsun 540. I had 2 korlias but bent the shaft on one while cleaning it, so I threw in a sunsun that I use for mixing water. I'm far from happy with the flow/flow pattern, as it doesnt kick up the detritus, which is feeding cyano. I've been wanting a wavemaker for quite some time now, but due to financial constraints from covid, I've had to push it off.
I recently came across the jabeo wavemakers and am looking at the ow models (or possibly sow) because of the price point. The ow-10 and sow-4 are rated at up to 1000+gph. Would 2 of these be a good fit for a 4ft, 55 gallon tank? The next model up is said to push over 2000gph and I've read about others buying 2 but only running 1 because it's too much flow. I know that running 2 alternating pumps would be best and that running them in "else mode" they ramp up to full power. I dont want over 2000gph (else mode) blasting my corals closed, but I also dont want to end up not having enough flow.
I'm hoping you guys can help me determine which wavemaker pair to choose for Lps and softie? Please keep in mind, that I'm only asking about the jabeo, not other brands, and I know that some people have had bad luck with jabeo wavemakers. Thanks in advance to everyone who takes time out of their day to help.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would HIGHLY recommend their sine SLW wavemakers. I just got one for my mixed reef and wow does that thing have a very wide flow

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two SOW-8 pumps in my 40g breeder, flow is good. I'm planning on having two in my 50g coral frag tray as well.

If you do go with the OW pumps, be sure to get the SOW model. They're newer and are better than the OW line.

OP
OP
N

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would HIGHLY recommend their sine SLW wavemakers. I just got one for my mixed reef and wow does that thing have a very wide flow
I was looking into those because of the wide flow but saw that they dont push water very far across a tank and are priced a bit higher than the models I'm looking at.. Im curious what slw you would recommend for my tank though? And if just having one larger slw would be a better idea then 2 of the ow/sow models?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I've run a softy tank - so I'm not really up on what they need.

I have a pair of OW-10s in my Nuvo40 (like 28 gallon actual tank) - and they move quite a bit of water. My tank isn't really analagous to yours - so tough to judge what you need (barebottom - they point straight down and push all waste to the front). They're dead silent.

They're also tiny.

This is like the worst possible way to test wavemakers - but it gives an idea of scale:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into those because of the wide flow but saw that they dont push water very far across a tank and are priced a bit higher than the models I'm looking at.. Im curious what slw you would recommend for my tank though? And if just having one larger slw would be a better idea then 2 of the ow/sow models?

I have the slw 20 on my 75g with a 1200gph sicce voyager 2. I wanted a wider flow and a variable pattern which I why I bought it as it is my main powerhead for my SPS. I think that two smaller wavemakers may be better than one larger but it is hard to say because your rockwork is different than mine so that is more of something you would have to figure out. I think the type you get depends on your goal.

OP
OP
N

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I've run a softy tank - so I'm not really up on what they need.

I have a pair of OW-10s in my Nuvo40 (like 28 gallon actual tank) - and they move quite a bit of water. My tank isn't really analagous to yours - so tough to judge what you need (barebottom - they point straight down and push all waste to the front). They're dead silent.

They're also tiny.

This is like the worst possible way to test wavemakers - but it gives an idea of scale:

Thanks for your input and taking time to post the video! I watched it a couple days ago lol

OP
OP
N

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the slw 20 on my 75g with a 1200gph sicce voyager 2. I wanted a wider flow and a variable pattern which I why I bought it as it is my main powerhead for my SPS. I think that two smaller wavemakers may be better than one larger but it is hard to say because your rockwork is different than mine so that is more of something you would have to figure out. I think the type you get depends on your goal.
So, would you recommend 2 slw'10's?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers! I have a 4ft, 55 gallon, lps and softie tank. My current flow (excluding sump return) is a korlia 425 and sunsun 540. I had 2 korlias but bent the shaft on one while cleaning it, so I threw in a sunsun that I use for mixing water. I'm far from happy with the flow/flow pattern, as it doesnt kick up the detritus, which is feeding cyano. I've been wanting a wavemaker for quite some time now, but due to financial constraints from covid, I've had to push it off.
I recently came across the jabeo wavemakers and am looking at the ow models (or possibly sow) because of the price point. The ow-10 and sow-4 are rated at up to 1000+gph. Would 2 of these be a good fit for a 4ft, 55 gallon tank? The next model up is said to push over 2000gph and I've read about others buying 2 but only running 1 because it's too much flow. I know that running 2 alternating pumps would be best and that running them in "else mode" they ramp up to full power. I dont want over 2000gph (else mode) blasting my corals closed, but I also dont want to end up not having enough flow.
I'm hoping you guys can help me determine which wavemaker pair to choose for Lps and softie? Please keep in mind, that I'm only asking about the jabeo, not other brands, and I know that some people have had bad luck with jabeo wavemakers. Thanks in advance to everyone who takes time out of their day to help.
I picked up 2 of SCP-150 for 250 gallon tank, 2 of SCP-90, one in a specialized tank dendronephthya lotta flow. Other went to friend.
Depending on softies, some love very strong flow. You'll have to play with them, till right flow

IMG_20200907_205722_483.jpg

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this. I switched from an OW to SLW pump on my tank. The flow is much better and not as concentrated.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two SOW-8 pumps in my 40g breeder, flow is good. I'm planning on having two in my 50g coral frag tray as well.

If you do go with the OW pumps, be sure to get the SOW model. They're newer and are better than the OW line.

How do you have your (2) SOW-8's configured/located in your 40b? does the tank have sand or BB?
any threads/pics showing your setup?

I have a single SOW-8 now in a 40b, and was contemplating going with a second wavemaker....

OP
OP
N

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone to all the quick responses! I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to help. Looking on amazon, theres only a $7 difference between the sow and slw models. Does anyone have any input on whether 2 slw-10's would be sufficient?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone to all the quick responses! I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to help. Looking on amazon, theres only a $7 difference between the sow and slw models. Does anyone have any input on whether 2 slw-10's would be sufficient?
I would go with the slw-20s in a 4 ft. tank. I run a slw10 in my 10 gallon nano and can't see it doing much in a 4 ft. tank.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have your (2) SOW-8's configured/located in your 40b? does the tank have sand or BB?
any threads/pics showing your setup?

I have a single SOW-8 now in a 40b, and was contemplating going with a second wavemaker....

No, no pictures. I can try to snap some later. They're on the opposite ends, maybe 4" - 5" from the surface.

Bare bottom tank. It's a lot of flow, but if it's too much for you, you can always put it in the wave mode and play with the frequency and speed until you get the flow you like.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back