Need help guys please

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys , so I need some help/advice on the following. As you know we passed thru a hard time with the whole COVID. I lost my job and have to sadly move back with my parents for the time being. As of now I have a 75Gallon Display tank with a 40G sump. Realistically I can’t afford to take both(won’t fit in my old room).

My Question is If I did a 40G display and used my FX6 , and a AC 110 I have laying around would I be okay with filteration? I know canisters are a bit harder and more work to clean . But I assume as I keep it clean and clean out the filter floss I should be fine correct ? I would also turn the AC110 into a refugium(with 3D printed skimmer box). And later on add a Skimmer but as of now that’s my only option. (Money is super tight rn).
I only have LPS and a few softies nothing crazy.

but in your guys expertise should I be fine with that filteration just as long as I keep up with maintenance?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys , so I need some help/advice on the following. As you know we passed thru a hard time with the whole COVID. I lost my job and have to sadly move back with my parents for the time being. As of now I have a 75Gallon Display tank with a 40G sump. Realistically I can’t afford to take both(won’t fit in my old room).

My Question is If I did a 40G display and used my FX6 , and a AC 110 I have laying around would I be okay with filteration? I know canisters are a bit harder and more work to clean . But I assume as I keep it clean and clean out the filter floss I should be fine correct ? I would also turn the AC110 into a refugium(with 3D printed skimmer box). And later on add a Skimmer but as of now that’s my only option. (Money is super tight rn).
I only have LPS and a few softies nothing crazy.

but in your guys expertise should I be fine with that filteration just as long as I keep up with maintenance?
Yes, I think if you keep up with maintenance you should be fine

Hang in there - this post shows you have lots of BBA - Bounce Back Ability - that's good both for you and for your tank! We're rooting for you - at least you have options.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your bioload is light on the fish side you can probably make it work just fine.

My quarantine/hospital tank is a 40 breeder. I only have a single HOB filter that I put sponges in and never had an issue keeping a few fish at a time in it. I wouldn't load it up with lots of fish like a display tank though so thats why I say light bioload would be ok.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine using a properly maintained canister filter.

This is probably not the answer you would expect from a hobbyists forum, but if your plans are to get back on your feet and move again in the near future then why not just hold off on setting up a tank. If money is that tight there is still a cost to keep a tank running properly. If I were you I'd wait until you get back on your feet before setting up a tank. Then when financially ready setup a tank that is what you want.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back