Need help identifying parasite. Possibly ich?

Hiram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've been looking around on this forum for information quite a lot the last year, but never really made an account or had something worth posting. Now however, I've made a fairly worrysome discovery on which I could certainly use the help of some more experienced reefers.

So, I had 2 clowns in a breeding tank that were quite close to spawning to the point where they were picking clean a spot on the terra cotta pot. However since I didnt expect this quite so soon, they only paired up last week, I didnt have a rot culture on the ready. So I decided to move them to my main display for a while in hopes to slow them down a few days. They'd been in my care for over a month and behaved as any very healthy clown would so i was fairly positive they were free of any parasites or diseases. Whilst acclimating them, since my main display uses a different salt and a different salinity, 2 little black spotted bugs dropped off them, one each, that started zooming around the water and actually noticably biting the clowns. They shook them off immediately and i seperated the clowns immediately from the bugs.

Any idea what these could be? Maybe ich in the theront stage? Theyre about 2 mm long. Thanks in advance guys.

^AA1CCF3A798C56E16C1E85C33C35CCB96C560B1E46FEC8FD22^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've been looking around on this forum for information quite a lot the last year, but never really made an account or had something worth posting. Now however, I've made a fairly worrysome discovery on which I could certainly use the help of some more experienced reefers.

So, I had 2 clowns in a breeding tank that were quite close to spawning to the point where they were picking clean a spot on the terra cotta pot. However since I didnt expect this quite so soon, they only paired up last week, I didnt have a rot culture on the ready. So I decided to move them to my main display for a while in hopes to slow them down a few days. They'd been in my care for over a month and behaved as any very healthy clown would so i was fairly positive they were free of any parasites or diseases. Whilst acclimating them, since my main display uses a different salt and a different salinity, 2 little black spotted bugs dropped off them, one each, that started zooming around the water and actually noticably biting the clowns. They shook them off immediately and i seperated the clowns immediately from the bugs.

Any idea what these could be? Maybe ich in the theront stage? Theyre about 2 mm long. Thanks in advance guys.

^AA1CCF3A798C56E16C1E85C33C35CCB96C560B1E46FEC8FD22^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Looks like a isopod to me.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not crypto. Parasitic isopod, aka fish lice.

OP
OP
H

Hiram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys. Freshwater dipped and it seems to have done the trick. Guess Im gonna have to clear that entire breeding setup huh.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back