Need help identifying parasite. Possibly ich?

Hiram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've been looking around on this forum for information quite a lot the last year, but never really made an account or had something worth posting. Now however, I've made a fairly worrysome discovery on which I could certainly use the help of some more experienced reefers.

So, I had 2 clowns in a breeding tank that were quite close to spawning to the point where they were picking clean a spot on the terra cotta pot. However since I didnt expect this quite so soon, they only paired up last week, I didnt have a rot culture on the ready. So I decided to move them to my main display for a while in hopes to slow them down a few days. They'd been in my care for over a month and behaved as any very healthy clown would so i was fairly positive they were free of any parasites or diseases. Whilst acclimating them, since my main display uses a different salt and a different salinity, 2 little black spotted bugs dropped off them, one each, that started zooming around the water and actually noticably biting the clowns. They shook them off immediately and i seperated the clowns immediately from the bugs.

Any idea what these could be? Maybe ich in the theront stage? Theyre about 2 mm long. Thanks in advance guys.

^AA1CCF3A798C56E16C1E85C33C35CCB96C560B1E46FEC8FD22^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've been looking around on this forum for information quite a lot the last year, but never really made an account or had something worth posting. Now however, I've made a fairly worrysome discovery on which I could certainly use the help of some more experienced reefers.

So, I had 2 clowns in a breeding tank that were quite close to spawning to the point where they were picking clean a spot on the terra cotta pot. However since I didnt expect this quite so soon, they only paired up last week, I didnt have a rot culture on the ready. So I decided to move them to my main display for a while in hopes to slow them down a few days. They'd been in my care for over a month and behaved as any very healthy clown would so i was fairly positive they were free of any parasites or diseases. Whilst acclimating them, since my main display uses a different salt and a different salinity, 2 little black spotted bugs dropped off them, one each, that started zooming around the water and actually noticably biting the clowns. They shook them off immediately and i seperated the clowns immediately from the bugs.

Any idea what these could be? Maybe ich in the theront stage? Theyre about 2 mm long. Thanks in advance guys.

^AA1CCF3A798C56E16C1E85C33C35CCB96C560B1E46FEC8FD22^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Looks like a isopod to me.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly not crypto. Parasitic isopod, aka fish lice.

OP
OP
H

Hiram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys. Freshwater dipped and it seems to have done the trick. Guess Im gonna have to clear that entire breeding setup huh.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back