Need Help Identifying Sudden Growth

WaterNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I hope that I’m posting this in the correct area. My tank has been established for about 3-4 years.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed something small growing on my overflow, but couldn’t tell what it was. Doesn’t appear to be anything I’ve seen before, but instead of removing it I left it alone. It has been growing rapidly and spawning additional growth, so now I’m a little worried. It feels hard when I touch it.

Does anyone know if what’s shown in the photos helpful or harmful? Does anyone have the name of this growth?
IMG_6777.JPG
IMG_6778.JPG
IMG_6779.JPG

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently had regular green bubble algae on my overflow there. I turned off the return pump to let the water drain a little bit then slowly dripped a couple miles of hydrogen peroxide on it to kill it. Worked very well, killed it all in one go

OP
OP
WaterNY

WaterNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I've never seen bubble algae this big in a tank. This thing is half the size of my fist. I never seen bubble algae like this before. I've had some bubble algae in the past, but nothing ever like this. Does anyone know this species of bubble algae.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently had regular green bubble algae on my overflow there. I turned off the return pump to let the water drain a little bit then slowly dripped a couple miles of hydrogen peroxide on it to kill it. Worked very well, killed it all in one go

Dang, that’s a lot of peroxide! :)

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I could be wrong and maybe it was mils but just in case I would stick with miles

OP
OP
WaterNY

WaterNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your input. Thursday night I turned off my pump and removed the algae. After removal I poured some peroxide onto the overflow areas where the algae was located. I left my pump off until the next morning, but left my powerheads running. All is well and the tank looks a lot better without that hideous algae. Thanks again!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back