Need help identifying this

ReeferintheSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this on the back of my rock scape where not much light hits. Tank is 9 months old. About 2 months ago I added a GSP mat to tank, from that mat I also got some zoanthids.

Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
71B54DF6-8174-420C-A490-3050F59C066D.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the bad pic. After googling images, I believe you are correct. Thank you for the help. I’m in over my head now!!
Definitely aiptasia. No need to panic, there are many methods to remove them, and so long as you’re not over feeding, they don’t spread too quickly. That said, you want to get rid of it while it’s still just one. Search here for the various methods of removal.

dsayo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nudibranch will be your tanks lifesaver, just drop it in and let it go to work. I’ve tried those other methods (aiptasia X, super glue, manual removal) and the thing just comes back. I got a nudi and it has worked flawlessly. If you go this route, once all aiptasia is gone, be prepared give away the nudi or take it back to the lfs so it doesn’t starve. :)

Clown2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have t found aiptasia to be too much of a problem as long as they are not touching sps coral, they don’t seem to bother larger lps or softies.

That being said now is your chance to eliminate before you get more

aiptasia X works well however for every 5 I kill one comes back. So the less you have the easier it will be to keep on top of.

mangos reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is aptasia i am currently badiling my self aptasia x kills them but they seem to come back with a vengeance a cupple mouths later so i just ordered 5 peppermint shrimp from algae barn there captive bread and eat aptasia so i would do bouth but i get mine Tuesday and can keep you posted if youed like but i would use aptasia x kill all the ones you can see and then release the shrimp.. so im told....but get on top of it asap they reproduce like nothing ive ever seen

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aptasia x works if you do it right which is easier said then done. You need to inject straight into the mouth. If you just cover it, it won’t do anything except speed up spreading. peppermist Shrimp often work as well and they’re $6. If they’re well fed theyre Not going to touch the aptasia.

Back