OP
OP
Jflozfzx1

Jflozfzx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much like your current tank, a 90 gallon will eventually be too small for the tangs (blue hippo tangs are fairly large and active swimming fish). The minimum tanks size recommendation for them from Live Aquaria is 180 gallons, and I don’t know that most people would suggest keeping them in a tank shorter than 6’ long for long term care. A pair of the smaller tangs, such as species in the Ctenochaetus genus, would probably work in a 90, but not the blue hippos.

Just my two cents.
I can get a 180 but I live in a small APT and it would just take up too much space haha

OP
OP
Jflozfzx1

Jflozfzx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies I really appreciated it. Great community :) love the hobby.

culvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dating a girl for about 2 months and she bought me 2 blue hippo tangs for my 30 gallon reef tank lol. I told her to take them back now shes ticked at me. But i have 2 clown fish in the reef already. idk what to do :(
If you’re asking how you should handle your girlfriend, first start by apologizing for making her feel embarrassed, ashamed, and unappreciated (trust me, this is how she feels). Secondly, express to her sincerely, how awesome she made you feel about yourself by taking an active interest in your hobby and also for shelling out all that cash to pay for those fish. Show her some YouTube videos on why those fish are not such a good idea for your setup and that the money would be better spent at this time on a date, complete with a couples massage, followed by a great brunch. Boom. You’re welcome.

You’re very lucky to have met a chick who cares about your hobbies and also has the $$$ to spend on you - “giving” is clearly her love language, which is awesome!

Maybe also let her know that you’d rather pick out fish together. That’ll be a good test to see if she is a person who’s willing to brave the hobby with you and also to see how she handles group decisions, common logic, and the art of compromise. Let us know how it goes.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update, I decide to keep the tangs, I call the local fish store and they told me they are from the same tank. I also ask him do i need a bigger tank he said yes eventually within a year you should be good. I put the tang in the reef tank and at first i thought my clowns were going to kill them but no they got along pretty well. One of the tang got ick and a popped Eye but I keep feeding it 2 times daily and it recovered pretty well. They are loving the tank.

Yes I will upgrade to a bigger tank but I was thinking of getting a 90 cube tank. Do you guys think that is ok size for 2 clowns and 2 tangs ? That's all the fish i'll be getting honestly.

I'm mostly a coral guy.
Two tangs in a 30g tank will not be okay for a year. They are likely already too big for the tank, but if they aren’t and they’re less than two inches, in a year they’ll be over 4”, a 4” fish in a 30g cube has roughly 4 body lengths worth of room to move in any direction, that is an inappropriate amount of room for such an active fish (even at 2” it’s questionable). I would also be weary of taking advice from any lfs that would tell you that two tangs will be okay in a 30g for a year.

Without going into too much detail, when tangs (and any active fish) are contained in such a small tank (relative to body size) for a prolonged period of time, they don’t get enough exercise. The lack of exercise causes the fish to stop producing somatostatin, which is a growth regulating hormone, it regulates when and how much bulk or body mass a fish will put on. When they stop producing it, it leads to obesity, stunted growth, a significantly lowered lifespan, and severe issues with internal organs (the most common of which is fatty liver disease). If you want to avoid these problems, I’d recommend upgrading sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
Jflozfzx1

Jflozfzx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re asking how you should handle your girlfriend, first start by apologizing for making her feel embarrassed, ashamed, and unappreciated (trust me, this is how she feels). Secondly, express to her sincerely, how awesome she made you feel about yourself by taking an active interest in your hobby and also for shelling out all that cash to pay for those fish. Show her some YouTube videos on why those fish are not such a good idea for your setup and that the money would be better spent at this time on a date, complete with a couples massage, followed by a great brunch. Boom. You’re welcome.

You’re very lucky to have met a chick who cares about your hobbies and also has the $$$ to spend on you - “giving” is clearly her love language, which is awesome!

Maybe also let her know that you’d rather pick out fish together. That’ll be a good test to see if she is a person who’s willing to brave the hobby with you and also to see how she handles group decisions, common logic, and the art of compromise. Let us know
Two tangs in a 30g tank will not be okay for a year. They are likely already too big for the tank, but if they aren’t and they’re less than two inches, in a year they’ll be over 4”, a 4” fish in a 30g cube has roughly 4 body lengths worth of room to move in any direction, that is an inappropriate amount of room for such an active fish (even at 2” it’s questionable). I would also be weary of taking advice from any lfs that would tell you that two tangs will be okay in a 30g for a year.

Without going into too much detail, when tangs (and any active fish) are contained in such a small tank (relative to body size) for a prolonged period of time, they don’t get enough exercise. The lack of exercise causes the fish to stop producing somatostatin, which is a growth regulating hormone, it regulates when and how much bulk or body mass a fish will put on. When they stop producing it, it leads to obesity, stunted growth, a significantly lowered lifespan, and severe issues with internal organs (the most common of which is fatty liver disease). If you want to avoid these problems, I’d recommend upgrading sooner rather than later.
Yes i understand I'm really looking at a new tank but space wise It would be a 90 gal long or cube. I know the bigger the better what would you recommend ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back