Need help lol

Jflozfzx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dating a girl for about 2 months and she bought me 2 blue hippo tangs for my 30 gallon reef tank lol. I told her to take them back now shes ticked at me. But i have 2 clown fish in the reef already. idk what to do :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve been dating a girl for about 2 months and she bought me 2 blue hippo tangs for my 30 gallon reef tank lol. I told her to take them back now shes ticked at me. But i have 2 clown fish in the reef already. idk what to do :(
2 may pose a war
You can keep one. Here is where she needs to understand why one is going back
I have 18 tangs and your two will play well
2 of anything generally is a war

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 may pose a war
You can keep one. Here is where she needs to understand why one is going back
I have 18 tangs and your two will play well
2 of anything generally is a war
I might be the exception, then. I have a yellow and a mimic tang. They never tussle and you will not see one without the other. Best behaved fish I've ever had. Once I got the clown tang out of the tank everything clicked. Maybe being different types of tangs helps keep things civil.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I might be the exception, then. I have a yellow and a mimic tang. They never tussle and you will not see one without the other. Best behaved fish I've ever had. Once I got the clown tang out of the tank everything clicked. Maybe being different types of tangs helps keep things civil.
What I meant was 2 of the same kind
I have multi Yellow tangs which are best kept in odd numbers 1-3-5 and so forth

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, your tank isn’t big enough for one tang. Second, two tangs of the same species will fight, usually to death (they will also generally fight with any conspecifics). Just tell her you appreciate the gesture, but they won’t work, take them back to the LFS with her and pick out some stuff that will work in your tank together. If after explaining why it won’t work and offering to go to the store with her and pick something else out she’s still upset, that’s on her (which doesn’t bode well for the relationship, I realize you’re not asking for relationship advice, but you can’t have an adult relationship with someone who will resort to childish behavior over things that are so inconsequential).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here’s some of my multiples:

4FD219E6-9DBE-46C2-AD85-4B15ECC757F1.jpeg
7145588F-7AA9-4E31-9171-41010483CCF0.jpeg

OP
OP
Jflozfzx1

Jflozfzx1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update, I decide to keep the tangs, I call the local fish store and they told me they are from the same tank. I also ask him do i need a bigger tank he said yes eventually within a year you should be good. I put the tang in the reef tank and at first i thought my clowns were going to kill them but no they got along pretty well. One of the tang got ick and a popped Eye but I keep feeding it 2 times daily and it recovered pretty well. They are loving the tank.

Yes I will upgrade to a bigger tank but I was thinking of getting a 90 cube tank. Do you guys think that is ok size for 2 clowns and 2 tangs ? That's all the fish i'll be getting honestly.

I'm mostly a coral guy.

Last edited:

txrdnk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats on the tank showdown success, and from someone that's been there, if she's buying fish for your tank and is into your hobby... she's a keeper!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man cool glad it worked...hey, now you have something for the both of you to be involved in together! You should go ahead and upgrade the tank if you can because that whole process could really be a bonding experience!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much like your current tank, a 90 gallon will eventually be too small for the tangs (blue hippo tangs are fairly large and active swimming fish). The minimum tanks size recommendation for them from Live Aquaria is 180 gallons, and I don’t know that most people would suggest keeping them in a tank shorter than 6’ long for long term care. A pair of the smaller tangs, such as species in the Ctenochaetus genus, would probably work in a 90, but not the blue hippos.

Just my two cents.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back