Need help, Midas Blenny sick!

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture below. Okay so got this midas blenny from saltwater fish.com. I read tons of reviews and was confident coming from them. Fish was drip acclimated for 2 hours and put into the tank Tuesday around noon. This is the first fish to be added after a 4 week cycle. Water goes to sock, reef o to 110sss then into cheato refugium with marine pure block on bottom, into the noodle huddle reduced, which has chemi pure blue and seschem matrix. then into return pump section with UV sterilizer.
back to blenny. all water parameters find, even had them double checked at the LFS today. Today he wouldn’t eat, after acting awesome, all over the tank and eating like crazy. even made his little home. all day laying in his burrow breathing heavy and not eating. just recently moved to
the sand bed and has few white spots. i am seriously hoping this isn’t velvet or ich, please help!

4B708450-C35A-422D-ADB8-4DA7EEFA667D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please take pic under white light as Cant see anything with heavy blue. I see a dot or two which could be sand, lymphocystis or parasite.
How is fish's breathing ?
Any aggression from others ?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is certainly possible, it’s one of the most common parasites, and very frequent when fish aren’t qt’d.
Though it’s impossible to tel without a clearer pic.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take pic under white light as Cant see anything with heavy blue. I see a dot or two which could be sand, lymphocystis or parasite.
How is fish's breathing ?
Any aggression from others ?
I am on the way to the LFS to triple check water and pick up anything I might need, I will get one when I get home. 2 clowns are acting normal

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 8073428A-2D05-446B-A245-C47B6C324A0E.jpeg
    8073428A-2D05-446B-A245-C47B6C324A0E.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7767.MOV
    8.9 MB

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be sand as dots are mainly on tank glass and breathing is rapid. Im pointing to water and oxygen. Adding an airstone will help, and water change should also help.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a Jebao Nero 20 and 5 and 800gph return pump, there is tons of water movement and surface movement. i am doing water change in the morning i am currently making water. Do you think it would be best to stay up late once i make the 15 gallons and do it tonight?

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be sand as dots are mainly on tank glass and breathing is rapid. Im pointing to water and oxygen. Adding an airstone will help, and water change should also help.
there are 2-3 right above his gills that are definetly on him not the glass, but yes i see what you are saying. they do look like sand but i’m just confused. would the protein skimmer off help anything? just thinking air water movement

Frithton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the clowns give him any trouble? I had one that thought he was the boss of the tank until my clowns put him in his place. He hid and "pouted" without eating for 3 days. He finally came out out of his funk and joined the crew again. Keep watch, even though they are listed as easy to care for, they can starve for no reason. He does look a bit thin. Praying he comes around they are a fish with lots of personality.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the clowns give him any trouble? I had one that thought he was the boss of the tank until my clowns put him in his place. He hid and "pouted" without eating for 3 days. He finally came out out of his funk and joined the crew again. Keep watch, even though they are listed as easy to care for, they can starve for no reason. He does look a bit thin. Praying he comes around they are a fish with lots of personality.
the two clowns have stayed on the complete other side of the tank. i have been looking throughout the day and the clowns have settled on the opposite side of the blenny. he was an eating machine for 3 days!! i’m so worried i’m not gunna be able to sleep tonight

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would set up a small 5-10 gal hospital tank ASAP just in case you need to medicate
that’s the plan for tomorrow. I have an Evo 13.5 frag grow out tank that has a firefish and blood shrimp and small cuc. copper would kill the coral right?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i have a Jebao Nero 20 and 5 and 800gph return pump, there is tons of water movement and surface movement. i am doing water change in the morning i am currently making water. Do you think it would be best to stay up late once i make the 15 gallons and do it tonight?
thats water movement. Im referring to added oxygen itself.
Sooner you do water change the better. What water results did you get ?

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity .24
PH 8.2
Nitrate 10.4ppm
Phos .1
i don’t remember the rest off the top of my head i was scampering around trying to fix this ‍♂️ and i left the paper from
the LFS tests there
i’m having a rough day in the reefing world

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my last water change was 10 gallons about 10 days ago. there was no fish until Tuesday when the blenny was introduced. can oxygen deplete that badly that fast? if so, i have a much larger issue to figure out!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
my last water change was 10 gallons about 10 days ago. there was no fish until Tuesday when the blenny was introduced. can oxygen deplete that badly that fast? if so, i have a much larger issue to figure out!
Not so much that its depleted but if ammonia and nitrate are elevated, oxygen will be reduced. Ph level and low salinity will cause the same

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back