Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture below. Okay so got this midas blenny from saltwater fish.com. I read tons of reviews and was confident coming from them. Fish was drip acclimated for 2 hours and put into the tank Tuesday around noon. This is the first fish to be added after a 4 week cycle. Water goes to sock, reef o to 110sss then into cheato refugium with marine pure block on bottom, into the noodle huddle reduced, which has chemi pure blue and seschem matrix. then into return pump section with UV sterilizer.
back to blenny. all water parameters find, even had them double checked at the LFS today. Today he wouldn’t eat, after acting awesome, all over the tank and eating like crazy. even made his little home. all day laying in his burrow breathing heavy and not eating. just recently moved to
the sand bed and has few white spots. i am seriously hoping this isn’t velvet or ich, please help!

4B708450-C35A-422D-ADB8-4DA7EEFA667D.jpeg

Long drip on shipped fish can cause ammonia burns. They are stuck in that bag… the thing is.. in a closed bag pH drops and makes ammonia much less toxic. Then when you open it and expose it to air and drip higher pH water in… the ammonia becomes much more toxic.

Not saying this is what happened but saying it’s a possibility. Float and if the salinity matches, in they go.

If it doesn’t match then you can add some RODI to some saltwater to match it down and add the fish to the new water in a bucket and then drip from there.

Also the vender you picked does not QT fish do parasites and disease are ofc a possibility.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long drip on shipped fish can cause ammonia burns. They are stuck in that bag… the thing is.. in a closed bag pH drops and makes ammonia much less toxic. Then when you open it and expose it to air and drip higher pH water in… the ammonia becomes much more toxic.

Not saying this is what happened but saying it’s a possibility. Float and if the salinity matches, in they go.

If it doesn’t match then you can add some RODI to some saltwater to match it down and add the fish to the new water in a bucket and then drip from there.

Also the vender you picked does not QT fish do parasites and disease are ofc a possibility.
that’s sad because i researched so much and supposedly they were top 1-3 in about 10 posts i found. do you recommend anyone online? Also, do you think this sickness could come 72 hours after acting completely normal? coloration is even still getting better. fish was obviously super stressed from shipment, red/pink, blotchy. slowly got back to midas blenny gold and still is. just this heavy breathing snd those sand spots on him which i do believe is sand but think he would want off him. never see a “dirty” blenny. i’m praying for this guy tonight

also, anything i can do to try tomorrow am if he is still this way they could possibly help? last thing i want is the poor guy to suffer ..

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s sad because i researched so much and supposedly they were top 1-3 in about 10 posts i found. do you recommend anyone online? Also, do you think this sickness could come 72 hours after acting completely normal? coloration is even still getting better. fish was obviously super stressed from shipment, red/pink, blotchy. slowly got back to midas blenny gold and still is. just this heavy breathing snd those sand spots on him which i do believe is sand but think he would want off him. never see a “dirty” blenny. i’m praying for this guy tonight

also, anything i can do to try tomorrow am if he is still this way they could possibly help? last thing i want is the poor guy to suffer ..

These guys are the best IMO. They will be re-opening. They QT all their fish and they will not ship you a sick fish or one that isn't eating. They will contact you if there is something wrong with the fish you ordered and not just ship it.

The only downside is because they put such care into their fish.. they have a smaller selection that changes depending what they get in. So if you want a very specific fish, you may have to wait awhile.

I probably would not want to catch the blenny unless we know what is wrong. It is already stressed. Hoping it comes around for you.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, he has passed away. what could possibly go so wrong after perfect 72 hours and within 12 hours sickness to death..? any insight at all. this is terrible..

Now i’m worried about my
clown paid….

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, he has passed away. what could possibly go so wrong after perfect 72 hours and within 12 hours sickness to death..? any insight at all. this is terrible..

Now i’m worried about my
clown paid….

Unfortunately this is not uncommon in the hobby. Fast killing disease, shipping stress, the fish are not treated too well from collection to wholesalers to wherever... and so on.

Again, no long drips on shipped fish. Definitely some sellers more reputable than others. May just have been stress but can't really say. Stuff like velvet can kill fish quickly.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this is not uncommon in the hobby. Fast killing disease, shipping stress, the fish are not treated too well from collection to wholesalers to wherever... and so on.

Again, no long drips on shipped fish. Definitely some sellers more reputable than others. May just have been stress but can't really say. Stuff like velvet can kill fish quickly.
yes very sad the way people can treat animals in this manner just to make a quick dollar. come to think of it o ordered two fighting conch and 20 hermits from
them s few years ago and all dead within 24 hours. the “RMA” process took a full day and they ended up requesting water sample, which i sent. then they told me sample was bad and it was past the return period. mind you i dig through my emails from 7 years ago. they’ve lost my business. and everyone should beware. i’ve successfully kept 220, 90, 29 and 13 gallon reef tanks for a decade. never seen a fish be this happy, for this long, considering the time, usually shipped sick are sick and adapting but never get to full normal behavior, which i was shocked especially with a blenny, then just die this fast. so sad. and this is coming from an avid fisherman and hunter.

velvet is what i’m worried about now. as i said i just added a clown pair. i guess i could treat there but then even after changing everything fear of chasing copper issues forever. idk. mad, angry, sad, disappointed, worst of all, guilty.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes very sad the way people can treat animals in this manner just to make a quick dollar. come to think of it o ordered two fighting conch and 20 hermits from
them s few years ago and all dead within 24 hours. the “RMA” process took a full day and they ended up requesting water sample, which i sent. then they told me sample was bad and it was past the return period. mind you i dig through my emails from 7 years ago. they’ve lost my business. and everyone should beware. i’ve successfully kept 220, 90, 29 and 13 gallon reef tanks for a decade. never seen a fish be this happy, for this long, considering the time, usually shipped sick are sick and adapting but never get to full normal behavior, which i was shocked especially with a blenny, then just die this fast. so sad. and this is coming from an avid fisherman and hunter.

velvet is what i’m worried about now. as i said i just added a clown pair. i guess i could treat there but then even after changing everything fear of chasing copper issues forever. idk. mad, angry, sad, disappointed, worst of all, guilty.
i mean i could relocate everything to evo 13.5 and move all coral and inverts to the 65 and treat the eco as hospital with copper or just move on. idk because nothing is confirmed. just trying to hope
for best and prepare for the worst. i obviously don’t want three more fish deaths. i guess best thing is to monitor
clowns closely snd see if anything is off snd then make the decision?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

not your fault, just keep an eye on the clowns. If they start acting off.. not eating, breathing fast, swimming into flow or hiding from light... I would pull them and just treat in QT and go fallow. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not your fault, just keep an eye on the clowns. If they start acting off.. not eating, breathing fast, swimming into flow or hiding from light... I would pull them and just treat in QT and go fallow. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
i appreciate it. since added they stuck on the one wall, moved to return flow, down to a rock back up near the return, halfway back down, they’re a mated pair so thinking they’re just finding they’re spot and not already acting up. whew.

big water change tomorrow and hopefully things improve. if they have me a sick fish that infected my tank, boy they will hear about it!! not only for $100 worth of fish but for how they obviously treat these fish. no wonder why no one trusts anyone in this hobby. too many scammers!

Sorry i’m rambling now. bloods boiling. and now i have to wake up and explain to my wife that her favorite fish in the whole world that she already fell in love with is a goner :(

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now at a lost. blenny lying in his small den. limp, sideways, gills not moving and black color skin. i went to pull him out after two hours of no gill movement. could get him slightly backed up and hid more. VERY slow movement. so alive but barely. should i throw him in my evo and swap the fire fish just to see?!?!

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now at a lost. blenny lying in his small den. limp, sideways, gills not moving and black color skin. i went to pull him out after two hours of no gill movement. could get him slightly backed up and hid more. VERY slow movement. so alive but barely. should i throw him in my evo and swap the fire fish just to see?!?!
Cancel that it was just the flow flicking his tail. he’s out. dead. and in a plastic baggy in the freezer for another fight for a sick fish gifted from saltwaterfish.com ugh!!!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, I’ve lost a lot of fish to disease and it’s never easy.
Not much you can do about disease and vendors. Sucks that it happens, but quite often vendors don’t even know the fish is sick before selling (except Liveaquaria and petco, both display horrendously sick fish for sale - and try to tell you they are fine). Like you said, it took a few days to show signs.
For the speed of killing, I’m thinking it could have been velvet.
Imo I’d set up a 10 gallon qt tank now and move the clowns to it. You will want the dt to go fallow for 6 weeks. Wait if the clowns develop symptoms, if they do then treat with copper.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much you can do about disease and vendors. Sucks that it happens, but quite often vendors don’t even know the fish is sick before selling (except Liveaquaria and petco, both display horrendously sick fish for sale - and try to tell you they are fine). Like you said, it took a few days to show signs.
Imo I’d set up a 10 gallon qt tank now and move the clowns to it. You will want the dt to go fallow for 6 weeks. Wait if the clowns develop symptoms, if they do then treat with copper.
I changed 15 gallons this morning and monitoring clowns closely, ready to move coral to the DT and swap the clowns to the eve 13.5 for treatment if need be, what a crap show thanks saltwater fish.com....

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I should add some Seachem StressGuard for the clowns or would it not really do anything?

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the fish in a baggy and froze overnight to preserve for the photos for saltwater fish.com. I added the photos here, I do see some white specs around the fish, one side more than other. What do you guys think?
How worried am I about the clowns?

IMG-7787.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-7788.JPG
    IMG-7788.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-7789.JPG
    IMG-7789.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-7790.JPG
    IMG-7790.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The positions of the spots seems more like lymphocytosis, which is commonly caused by stress.
The fish looks thin, you can see it’s stomach looking thin. How did its poop look, and was it eating?

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The positions of the spots seems more like lymphocytosis, which is commonly caused by stress.
The fish looks thin, you can see it’s stomach looking thin. How did its poop look, and was it eating?
ate like a champ, 4-5 times a day, poop looked normal I saw a few. maybe 1/2" long little stringy but dark color, not white. I would prefer stress over disease of course. Do you know what could cause stress all of a sudden?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ate like a champ, 4-5 times a day, poop looked normal I saw a few. maybe 1/2" long little stringy but dark color, not white. I would prefer stress over disease of course. Do you know what could cause stress all of a sudden?
New tank, poor acclimation, poor water, aggression, or disease are the biggest causes.
I assume the tank was fully cycled?

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank, poor acclimation, poor water, aggression, or disease are the biggest causes.
I assume the tank was fully cycled?
yes fully cycled, I always used to use the water RODI water from the store until I bought the aqua buddy. Maybe the water quality at my house is very bad and it is not filtering everything out? But weird because I use it on my Evo 13.5 and never had any type of issue so I was ruling that out.. I am going to switch to Red Sea Pro salt once I use up this InstaOceans Reef Crystals. There was Cheato added from my Ego on Wednesday, one day after he got into the tank but 48 hours with that and still fine. I am at a loss if it is a water issue because it was checked 3 times yesterday and was fine. I changed 5 gallons last night and 15 gallons this AM. I cleaned out skimmer, Chemical pure blue and Purigen were replaced 3 weeks and 1 week ago respectively. UV sterilizer has been on last few days its a smaller Green Killing Machine 9 Watt. BioBlock looks good and has bacteria. I cleaned filter sock this am as well, Phos was still a tad high .2-3 range, so I dosed some Phosguard, same as last 2 days and it is slowly declining. It appears I have one of those mystery issues if these clowns start to act up. All hermits and snails fine, RFA is fine, 2 mushrooms in there are fine and mini max carpet anemone is fine.

I have noticed the clowns are not very interested in the food today but I have had lots of fish over the years not eat until the tank kind of settles again after cleaning.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back