Need help on tankmates

styles215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all I have a 125g and was looking to start adding some new fish within the next 2-3weeks.. Right now I have a marine betta about an inch and a half, greenbird wrasse, hawkfish and a engineer goby.. These are the fish I wanted to add... Foxface, trigger (Niger or huma) puffer (dogface or porcupine) and loin fish.. I didn't want to add all of them just 2-3 if possible.. The loinfish being last on the list cuz I think he will try and eat my betta n ill lose my mind.. Lol he costed me over a 100 bucks.. And ideas will be great thanks

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your doing fish only you should try to get a clown trigger they have beauty and will get valuable when they grow. Good investment. You can try a moral eel such as a zebra or snowflake. You have room for a emperor angel or queen angel but I would recommend do more research about angels. A porcupine puffer would be a great addition cuz they got a lot of personality. But I personally love mono argentuses

OP
OP
styles215

styles215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was actually looking at clown triggers and eels.. Since I had the engineer goby i have gave it a second thought.. I would get one if it dont cause a problem with them 2.. But you think I can add a trigger, puffer, foxface and eel?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a bluethroat or niger and eel any of the moray are good

I don't mean to disregard what your saying, but getting "any moray" is very bad advice. Most morays found in the hobby will eat fish large or small.

Snowflakes and zebras are a good start. Most echidna species (like the snowflake) are crustacean eaters and don't normally go after fish and zebras are supposed to be the most fish safe moray in the hobby. The one thing me and my boss used to tell people about them while I was working at the LFS was "never trust an eel". They're awesome fish and certain species can live decades without harming any fish in your tank, but as you said, you don't want your marine betta getting eaten, so it's probably a good idea to skip the eel for now. I'd also skip the clown trigger, they're generally highly aggressive. The niger should be ok though.

OP
OP
styles215

styles215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man.. But do you think I can fix a puffer, trigger, foxface and eel in my tank with what I have now..? I will add the sf eel alil down the road when my betta gets bigger.. But I just wanted to add these fish in the upcoming weeks

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tank is too small for the fish types you want. Specifically the Puffer and the Trigger. Puffers and Triggers are not a good mix in my opinion. Puffers are too slow and awkward, Triggers too aggressive as they get older. You'll need a much bigger tank to give them all territory to get away from one another.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tank is too small for the fish types you want. Specifically the Puffer and the Trigger. Puffers and Triggers are not a good mix in my opinion. Puffers are too slow and awkward, Triggers too aggressive as they get older. You'll need a much bigger tank to give them all territory to get away from one another.

+1.
The foxface will be and MAYBE an eel will be ok with the fish you already have. You could possibly get the puffer in, but may have to rehome him eventually. If you have your heart set on a long term puffer look into canthigaster puffers like the valentini an Papuan blue spot. Awesome fish :)

OP
OP
styles215

styles215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people from my opinion that was wayyyy over stocked.. I'm talking 2-3 tangs, 2 butterfly's, 2 puffers, moray eel, wrasses, damsel and whole bunch of stuff and they tanks seem to b doing ok.. I will b getting a 240g in oct or nov so I'm thinking about waiting.. But if I did get a puffer I would like porcupine or a dogface .. I think they have slot more personality but I see what you are saying about the trigger..

If I added just the puffer, eel and foxface do you think do you think I can throw 3 damsels or maybe a small panther grouper?
What is the best aquascape for a predator tank?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's never my intent to police others stocking choices, but you posted a thread specifically asking for assistance regarding stocking.

I applaud you for doing the research before you buy, but you're making classic stocking mistakes. You'll end up with aggression and disease issues.

A Panther Groupers suggested minimum tanks size is 300 gallons. I have seen countless newer hobbyist buy these types of fish with the intention of upgrading, very few do. They usually leave the hobby secondary to frustrations over water quality, disease and expense.

A Panther Grouper grows so fast it's unbelievable, your intended damsels will become food in short order because they will be too hard to catch and remove from the tank.

A predator tank should not be a busy tank, a tank stuffed with fish that will not work. If you want a Lion fish than dedicate the system to that type of fish, if you want Triggers than dedicate the tank to that type of fish........Same goes for Puffers.

"I've seen people from my opinion that was wayyyy over stocked". Be a better hobbyist than those people.

OP
OP
styles215

styles215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just asking and my intention was not to put the damsels in the take with grouper it was a either or question.. But my tank is paid in full to glass cages and I'm just waiting on the delivery... The next time they will be close to me is in oct or nov..

But aquascape what is best for a predator tank (spacious or mountain in back?) this is pics of my previous aquascapes.. Btw I have a whole 75 gallon tank of just live rock.. About 300lbs of it so however you think is best I can do it..
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1404822765.119475.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1404822832.133261.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You scape looks good in the second image. The Beta is going to want a dark cave like structure, couple over hangs would be ideal. Since rock is going to be the largest part of your biological filter you want a decent amount of rock. I am not a fan of a pile of rubble or rounded rocks. You can break up round boulders like rocks to give them more edges.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man you are awesome.. Wht do you mean by hang overs.?

Thanks.

Ledges that over hang a cave. Betta's are kind of a Cryptic fish, they like dark caves and over hangs to hide in when not out and about.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice above.
I also agree that a panther grouper would outgrow that tank far too quickly. In a matter of months likely.
The thing I would suggest is to keep your aquascape relatively open. That way you can get in and around all the rocks and blow detritus around so you an siphon it out. Predators are messy and there will be a lot of uneaten food in the tank which could lead to algae problems. Plus CUC can be difficult to maintain so they won't be much help.
You could try to hide a large PVC pipe in there for the betta. A few inches in diameter and about 6 inches long would be ok. It won't look the best, but if you can hide it'll work well :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back