Need help to decide MP60 for 180 cm peninsula

matskibanov

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2023
Messages
34
Reaction score
33
Location
Bandung, Indonesia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, been a while since the last time I posted on r2r. I'm planning on building a new tank and I'd like to hear some advice from you guys, especially those who might have similar experience in this matter.

The tank is 180 cm long, 80 cm wide, and 60 cm high (6' x 31" x 24"), and it would be a mixed reef peninsula with mostly SPS with quite thick sand just because I love the look of it. I'd try to have as effective and efficient negative spaces as possible on the rockscape. It will function as a room divider from the foyer to the living room area. The thing is, I would love to have the maximum view from all three sides, which means there should be minimum, if not none, equipment on those sides. With that in mind, having a decent flow would be a challenge.

Here are several options I took into consideration for now:
  1. 2 MP60s, each on the sides of the overflow box halfway down under the water surface, and 2 closed loops to support them.
  2. the above set up with 3 more gyres. 2 sweeping the long side of the glass, 1 opposite to the overflow, pushing suspended (hopefully) waste and detritus down the drain.
  3. set up number 1 with only 1 gyre at the opposite of the overflow
  4. set up number 3 with 4 MP40s instead of 2 MP60s
There they are guys, I hope anyone can advise me on this, thanks!
 
I think #1 will give you the best combination of sufficient flow and aesthetics, i think it would be a shame to have a pump anywhere but the overflow side on a peninsula from a visual perspective!
 
MP60 will push the sand around. I have 2 on my 6ft tank and I have to keep them high. My MP40 will not push the sand around but also does not move the water like the MP60.
 
I think #1 will give you the best combination of sufficient flow and aesthetics, i think it would be a shame to have a pump anywhere but the overflow side on a peninsula from a visual perspective!
I agree with you, the less equipment visible the better, as long as it's sufficient enough for the inhabitants
 
MP60 will push the sand around. I have 2 on my 6ft tank and I have to keep them high. My MP40 will not push the sand around but also does not move the water like the MP60.
That's actually my concern too.. How deep is your tank and how high do you mount the MP60s?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new