Need help torch coral is dying

koolademan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help with my torch coral. I fed it last week and it’s been doing worse ever since. I don’t think that it’s a problem with bjd because it probably would have died a while ago as a result. It’s been slowly declining for the past 4-5 days. Would anyone have an suggestions? I dipped in iodine for 10 min 2 days ago and also tried moving it to lower lighting but nothing has worked :(. My other lps (hammer and frogspawn) are fine. I was hoping it would recover after the iodine dip but it has gotten worse. My lfs suggested trying a chemiclean and revive dip but haven't seen anything online about it.

My parameters are
8.4 dkh
450 ppm ca
nitrate phosphate and ammonia are fine

952C5A46-6CA7-4598-B3BD-E9F92D9EA3E6.jpeg 28F309C9-7B5F-4F49-8C2B-68B8BEFE39C5.jpeg

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have done all you should, provided all your parameters are within a good range and have been consistent. If so it is time to let it recover from whatever happened and not futz with it anymore. We often cause more harm than good the more we handle them or make changes to the tank.

What corals are in the vicinity that might be stinging it? What fish do you have that may nip at it?

Additionally, Euphylia do not need to be fed, IMHO and I have grown monsters that have never been fed. FWIW

OP
OP
K

koolademan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your suggestion! I had a frogspawn and a hammer near it but I moved it away and it’s still degrading. Also had moved it to a place with lower lighting. Yea starting to feel that way. Not sure why this time it was mad this time but yea :(. I don’t think anything is nipping at it. The skin does seem to be turning brown in some parts though. Would you suggest dipping it again if it gets worse over the next couple of days?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo in white light would be helpful. Can't tell much with the blue. Nitrate and phosphate fine? But what are they? And what test kit are you using? How long have you had the torch?

Chemiclean is an antibiotic. Some have had success with dipping or treating the tank in case it's some sort of bacterial infection causing the problem.

Potential

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 'm having the same problem when I purchased the coral it came four days late because of shipping in bad weather corals.com emailed me and said when it arrived to put it straight in the tank it was great for a week then deteriorated rapidly, if some corals don't come next day I don't think they'll survive the extended shipping

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I 'm having the same problem when I purchased the coral it came four days late because of shipping in bad weather corals.com emailed me and said when it arrived to put it straight in the tank it was great for a week then deteriorated rapidly, if some corals don't come next day I don't think they'll survive the extended shipping
Was coral introduced at low light and flow which then would be gradually be brought up to desired levels?
They require moderate light and medium flow and calcium no less that 380 for skeletal health. The tentacles should be waving in the current but not vigorously as you can tear the tissue right off the skeleton.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back