OP
OP
wolt

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think I should do about it I’ve been feeding less and turning lights off earlier. I’m also getting a skimmer in 3 days

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to gha
I'd suggest a rabbitfish if tank is 100 gallons or so. Or starry blenny.
Maybe post nitrate and phosphate levels to see if those are contributing.
The skimmer will definitely help.

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a starry blenny and two fangs and a long spine urchin my tank is also only 75 so I can’t get rabbit fish

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a starry blenny and two fangs and a long spine urchin my tank is also only 75 so I can’t get rabbit fish
If you feed less, the blenny will look for other food and perhaps find the algae.
I got a filefish for aptasia that wouldn't do his job until other food was less available.

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually seen the blenny eating the algae but I don’t think it’s enough to help

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also read that covering the red and green lenses on the light will help with the algae

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the nitrate and phosphate readings would be essential information. I also second the skimmer idea if you don't already have one. They can work wonders.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also read that covering the red and green lenses on the light will help with the algae
And white.
There are many posts that support this, when you have a light with adjustable spectrum.
For you, that is a good plan unless there is a dial to adjust color.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good ol' API kits. "It's 5ish10ish20ish" lol. I use them too though. So you have some notable nitrate, but nothing too insane. How about the skimmer? It would probably help a bit with the removal since proteins contain nitrogen. Especially combined with some brushing. How deep is the sand? I like to keep 2-3 inches in most tanks to allow for some denitrification. There are other ways to promote it, but it's a simple one.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY skimmers with air stones tend to skim extra wet, or unreliably, but all skimmers need some attention from time to time and the price is right. I have a little Eshopps in-tank skimmer in my 20 gallon. It attaches by magnet and does a great job if the prefilter stays clean. A Coralife Super Skimmer handles my 90 gallon and it's in the sump. I ran it as a hang-on for a couple of years, but after a snail or two crawled up the return pipe and it overflowed, I moved it to the sump.

Back