need help with biocube and slim skim

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant get my hydor to go down all the way in chamber one its like something is blocking it i put my hand down there and theres nothing there but it wont go all the way down!
if anyone is online at all and can help i would really appreciate it!

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have read of similar issues with other skimmers in chamber 1, from what i understand is there is a lip where the false floor lays on and you have to manuver points around it in order to get a skimmer to seat right in the chamber. I have seen a pic of the wall being pulled inorder to bow it enough to get past that lip.

Hope this helps

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/2379...mer-into-a-biocube-29-chamber-1/#entry2856522

I know it doesnt pertain to the same skimmer but it just may help u troubleshoot your issue

Last edited:
OP
OP
eliramos

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have read of similar issues with other skimmers in chamber 1, from what i understand is there is a lip where the false floor lays on and you have to manuver points around it in order to get a skimmer to seat right in the chamber. I have seen a pic of the wall being pulled inorder to bow it enough to get past that lip.

Hope this helps

Guide to Installing an Aquaticlife 115 Skimmer into a Biocube 29, Chamber 1 - All-In-One Tanks - Nano-Reef.com Forums

I know it doesnt pertain to the same skimmer but it just may help u troubleshoot your issue

this was just what the doctor ordered! thanks!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very seldom bring bad news but here I have to. I ran the Slim Skim for almost a year. Was never more frustrated with a skimmer :( Your going to find that the pump gets very easily clogged, causing its performance to drop drastically. You will then find yourself having to remove the entire skimmer often to clean it. A big PITA when jammed into the first chamber :(
IMO...You'd be better off with a HOB or Mame skimmer or better yet more frequent WC's.

OP
OP
eliramos

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very seldom bring bad news but here I have to. I ran the Slim Skim for almost a year. Was never more frustrated with a skimmer :( Your going to find that the pump gets very easily clogged, causing its performance to drop drastically. You will then find yourself having to remove the entire skimmer often to clean it. A big PITA when jammed into the first chamber :(
IMO...You'd be better off with a HOB or Mame skimmer or better yet more frequent WC's.

ugh yea im probably going to return it today honestly, it just is a really tight fit and i dont like the idea of constantly having to fight to get it in there-_-

has anyone had any experience with an eshopps skimmer

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any input as to any preformance on any skimmers but from all my research i have come across 2 recommended for bc29s. The aquaticlife 115 has had nothing but praises after u get it in and mod the knob and its about 60$. Also there is a tunze 9002 i believe is the model that biocubers use alot. That one sells about 110$. This is just what i have found in my journeys. Goodluck

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the slim skim and I am about to replace it.

My biggest issue was keeping it from falling apart during the insertion process, as a result I did not clean the pump as often as I should have. Just yesterday I gave mine a vinegar & RO bath, as usual when I tried to re-insert it it kept falling apart (the back pops loose and then everything else comes out of alignment). This happened at least 4 times, in the end I used velcro strips to wrap around the skimmer once it was assembled to insure that the back plate did not pop out of it's grove. 9:00 am this morning I check it and my skimmer cup was overflowing, at a setting that prior to the bath was generating a very dry skim.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back