Need help with filtration

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running a 60 gal now and do not want a sump. should I get a canister? what can I do? please lmk with links to hardware! thanks

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, HOB options now are actually kind of nice and slim. Aquaclear is a good filter and there are some HOB skimmers that arent too bulky

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an HOB? keep in mind that it will be my only source of filtration? and do I need anything with it?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an HOB? keep in mind that it will be my only source of filtration? and do I need anything with it?
You can always add a HOB skimmer or HOB refugium down the road. But yes, provided you get the correctly-sized HOB filter that's all you need to start.

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be impressed with how large of a tank some of them are rated for. I'd take a look at some sites and just find something with good reviews and it being rated for your tank size.

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank a bare bottom or have sand and plenty of live rock? That'll be where majority of the filtration happens

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend a hang on or external skimmer. If you do HOB, be sure to keep a really good eye or an alarm on the skimmer cup.
External skimmer ? Link to one?

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External skimmer ? Link to one?

Here's a link to a thread where they talk about external skimmer and pro's and con's as well as pictures of set ups for external skimmers. I don't know much about them, as i don't have experience with one, but i know they exist and could be applicable to your situation lol.

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend a hang on or external skimmer. If you do HOB, be sure to keep a really good eye or an alarm on the skimmer cup.
So I ended up getting a tidal 110. If I use that for like 2-4 weeks until I end up getting a sump, would I need a protein skimmer as well? the one I have now isn’t cutting it right now

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running a 60 gal now and do not want a sump. should I get a canister? what can I do? please lmk with links to hardware! thanks
Well that didn't take long to make the switch to a sump...don't worry it won't be the last upgrade and spare part, wait till you keep growing out of stuff and upgrading, come with me down this cool rabbit hole...

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fluval C is also another choice.

If you rinse the filter pad once a day (or every other day), it will be an extremely effective filter

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up getting a tidal 110. If I use that for like 2-4 weeks until I end up getting a sump, would I need a protein skimmer as well? the one I have now isn’t cutting it right now
If you are getting a sump, which if you DIY a sump they can be fairly inexpensive, then i would wait to get a skimmer. Or there is something like this

Which i had this unit last me for a few years (It broke this year but I'd had it since like 2017). It isnt the best skimmer but it gets the job done. you can hang it on the back or use it as submersible for when your sump comes in.
I would still recommend waiting to get the sump tho before you got the skimmer, or you could just get a skimmer you think would run nicely for your tank. There are alot more and better options for submersible skimmers than there are for HOB or external and they usually work better. If you have the budget, DC powered/controllable skimmers are the way to go.

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting a sump, which if you DIY a sump they can be fairly inexpensive, then i would wait to get a skimmer. Or there is something like this

Which i had this unit last me for a few years (It broke this year but I'd had it since like 2017). It isnt the best skimmer but it gets the job done. you can hang it on the back or use it as submersible for when your sump comes in.
I would still recommend waiting to get the sump tho before you got the skimmer, or you could just get a skimmer you think would run nicely for your tank. There are alot more and better options for submersible skimmers than there are for HOB or external and they usually work better. If you have the budget, DC powered/controllable skimmers are the way to go.

Yeah so right now I have a fluval mini skimmer… almost does nothing for this tank. Just have it in there because I had it for my other tank and thought I’d put it to use. I also have the tidal 110 which is running nicely now. Is it even worth the hassle of keeping this mini skimmer in here or should I just get rid of it for now? Also, thinking about doing a DIY sump with a 10 gal tank & getting a new skimmer for that within the month give or take.

Aquanic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so right now I have a fluval mini skimmer… almost does nothing for this tank. Just have it in there because I had it for my other tank and thought I’d put it to use. I also have the tidal 110 which is running nicely now. Is it even worth the hassle of keeping this mini skimmer in here or should I just get rid of it for now? Also, thinking about doing a DIY sump with a 10 gal tank & getting a new skimmer for that within the month give or take.
I mean it’s better than nothing. There’s no harm in running it till you get another one.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 57 43.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back