Need help with reactor manifold please!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Klyle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Klyle

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 5, 2020
Messages
827
Reaction score
389
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I recently bought a Pax Bellum Arid N18 (chaeto reactor) and got the bright idea to run it and a BRS mini reactor i use for carbon, off a manifold. Finally got the plumbing parts today and put everything together, now I have TWO problems.

PROBLEM #1 -I went with the mighty jet 580 gph pump. Needing 150-200 gph through the chaeto reactor, as well as 100+ through the BRS mini (guessing at this), I'm beginning to realize how pathetically short I fell of my goal. I measured < 120 gph through the mini, with the other valve closed so...I will definitely need a different pump. Does anyone have any cheaper suggestions?

Here is the manifold. It is 1/2" ...the Mighty Jet is the blue and white pump on the left. Thanks to my oversized sump, I should have enough room to accommodate a bigger pump. It's going through 3 90s before it gets to the mini, and technically 5 90s before it exits the PB reactor. I would really appreciate a ballpark on what gph pump i would need to run these 2 reactors!
20210430_225950.jpg

PROBLEM #2 -This wasn't happening at first, it's why I was able to rough estimate the gph through the mini, but since I stopped and restarted the pump there is a lot of air in the system! I can hear it, very annoying and it's being discharged into my return chamber. I have NO clue what could be causing this, so again, I would REALLY appreciate any thoughts to what it could be! I have a small leak at the union, just above the return pump but I don't think that would be the cause...
 
I think you need to get the pump and lines properly purged of air, then measure again. 90's kill flow in low diameter lines. Any way you can replace 90's with b 2x 46's?
 
I think you need to get the pump and lines properly purged of air, then measure again. 90's kill flow in low diameter lines. Any way you can replace 90's with b 2x 46's?
Yeah, makes sense. It ran for about 10 mins, no gurgling or spitting but I guess the air must have been hiding somewhere. I hope it will purge easily. I'll definitely recheck the flow. Either way I don't think that pump is gong to cut it. 45s aren't an option based on where I have the pump and reactor
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new