Need help with reactor manifold please!

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I recently bought a Pax Bellum Arid N18 (chaeto reactor) and got the bright idea to run it and a BRS mini reactor i use for carbon, off a manifold. Finally got the plumbing parts today and put everything together, now I have TWO problems.

PROBLEM #1 -I went with the mighty jet 580 gph pump. Needing 150-200 gph through the chaeto reactor, as well as 100+ through the BRS mini (guessing at this), I'm beginning to realize how pathetically short I fell of my goal. I measured < 120 gph through the mini, with the other valve closed so...I will definitely need a different pump. Does anyone have any cheaper suggestions?

Here is the manifold. It is 1/2" ...the Mighty Jet is the blue and white pump on the left. Thanks to my oversized sump, I should have enough room to accommodate a bigger pump. It's going through 3 90s before it gets to the mini, and technically 5 90s before it exits the PB reactor. I would really appreciate a ballpark on what gph pump i would need to run these 2 reactors!
20210430_225950.jpg

PROBLEM #2 -This wasn't happening at first, it's why I was able to rough estimate the gph through the mini, but since I stopped and restarted the pump there is a lot of air in the system! I can hear it, very annoying and it's being discharged into my return chamber. I have NO clue what could be causing this, so again, I would REALLY appreciate any thoughts to what it could be! I have a small leak at the union, just above the return pump but I don't think that would be the cause...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to get the pump and lines properly purged of air, then measure again. 90's kill flow in low diameter lines. Any way you can replace 90's with b 2x 46's?

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you need to get the pump and lines properly purged of air, then measure again. 90's kill flow in low diameter lines. Any way you can replace 90's with b 2x 46's?
Yeah, makes sense. It ran for about 10 mins, no gurgling or spitting but I guess the air must have been hiding somewhere. I hope it will purge easily. I'll definitely recheck the flow. Either way I don't think that pump is gong to cut it. 45s aren't an option based on where I have the pump and reactor

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back