Need help with your aquascape?

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the bridging rock be flipped so that it arches up lather than down?

Could you stack the two small rocks to make a mini pinnacle?

Hey, I appreciate the feedback. The tank is actually up and running now and I went with two islands instead of the arch. I couldn't get the rock to sit securely and didn't want to drill it. Even tried epoxy but it wasn't exactly how I wanted... Anyway, I'm pretty stoked with the two pillars that should allow for a lot of variety of light and flow.

Thanks!

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I appreciate the feedback. The tank is actually up and running now and I went with two islands instead of the arch. I couldn't get the rock to sit securely and didn't want to drill it. Even tried epoxy but it wasn't exactly how I wanted... Anyway, I'm pretty stoked with the two pillars that should allow for a lot of variety of light and flow.

Thanks!

Have you a picture?

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new tank 225g 72X30X24
And my 180g
Watch "REEF TANK UPDATE 180G NO WATER CHANGES EVER" on YouTube

20191113_000111.jpg IMG_20191015_231744.jpg

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like your thoughts please. This isn't the latest pic but its close enough. Since this picture I've moved the central rock forward so that its getting light.

My question is do I get rid of the flat plate? i was thinking of ditching it and having the left side as a large pinnacle then bridging the centre and right rocks with a new piece of rock.

IMG-4565 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158173144@N02/, on Flickr

AnxiousReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need an outside perspective to help with improving your aquascape, just post here a few shots of your tank, and will try my best shot at providing specific advise according to your goals for the tank.

Sometimes I can just answer here, show the alterations using photoshop or make a video.

Just post here front shots with your cellphone/camera positioned at 3 different heights (sand level, centre and water level) and also a couple of angled photos, so that I can have a better understanding of your tank's layout.

IMG_20180429_094401.jpg

IMG_20180429_094451.jpg
IMG_20180429_094518.jpg

This is a subject that is surprisingly not researched by most reefers and I have given some thought and some time ago I did a similar exercise in another forum.

It's also a great way for everyone to learn from each other and see a few freshwater techniques that we can apply and also many others that are specific for reef tanks.

In the meantime, if you want some inspiration here are a few videos I made with suggestions for different tank shapes.

Thank you for making this! I’m planning on a upgrade to a bigger tank in the future this helped with the stress of aquascape.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing question I rescaped my 55 to islands. It dawned on my that I can fit more coral on islands then a wall. I can also make more hiding places.

I have leathers , shrooms and bta attached to rocks could this be an issue.
75g tank
70lbs of rocks
IMG_20191105_205944315.jpg

Thoughts.

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my seahorse tank and just don't "love it" yet. I love each individual structure that I've built, but when I put the four of them together in the tank, it doesn't do anything for me. Do I need to connect them all? Keep in mind there will be macroalgae and soft corals when the tank is cycled so that might make a HUGE difference, but before I add the bacteria and start cycling, I'd like to be DONE with moving rocks. Any suggestions what I can do with these four pieces to make the whole thing work together better?
72 bowfront horse tank.jpg

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing question I rescaped my 55 to islands. It dawned on my that I can fit more coral on islands then a wall. I can also make more hiding places.

I have leathers , shrooms and bta attached to rocks could this be an issue.
75g tank
70lbs of rocks
IMG_20191105_205944315.jpg

Thoughts.
I love how the plates angle on the left with the caves in there, looks great!

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my seahorse tank and just don't "love it" yet. I love each individual structure that I've built, but when I put the four of them together in the tank, it doesn't do anything for me. Do I need to connect them all? Keep in mind there will be macroalgae and soft corals when the tank is cycled so that might make a HUGE difference, but before I add the bacteria and start cycling, I'd like to be DONE with moving rocks. Any suggestions what I can do with these four pieces to make the whole thing work together better?
I was thinking take the rock 2nd from right and swap it with the small one on the left, then lean the branch from the small rock to the bigger rock or vise versa. I like the structure on the right but i might rotate it so the straighter sides face in and you get a more front to back slope as you stand in front of the tank.

AnxiousReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make a build thread yet? I want to make a seahorse tank as well. How many gallon is yours?

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking take the rock 2nd from right and swap it with the small one on the left, then lean the branch from the small rock to the bigger rock or vise versa. I like the structure on the right but i might rotate it so the straighter sides face in and you get a more front to back slope as you stand in front of the tank.

Thanks, maybe I'll try that (swapping small rock on right for "circle" rock) but I'm not sure I want the tonga branch horizontal.... that might cut into some of the sand space where I'm hoping to keep some soft corals.

The structure on the right: I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the rock but I can't figure out which way to angle it's placement. The tank is a bowfront so I thought I should have the eye flow towards the bow of the tank, and keep in mind, I only have 12" from front to back at the right and left side of the tank.... that right rock is wouldn't fit if I turn it so that I see it front to back. But I'll be heading back in and will try repositioning a bit. Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: Don't think I can put the circle rock on the left: there is an overflow box left of center and not much real estate to the left of the overflow. :(

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, maybe I'll try that (swapping small rock on right for "circle" rock) but I'm not sure I want the tonga branch horizontal.... that might cut into some of the sand space where I'm hoping to keep some soft corals.

The structure on the right: I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the rock but I can't figure out which way to angle it's placement. The tank is a bowfront so I thought I should have the eye flow towards the bow of the tank, and keep in mind, I only have 12" from front to back at the right and left side of the tank.... that right rock is wouldn't fit if I turn it so that I see it front to back. But I'll be heading back in and will try repositioning a bit. Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: Don't think I can put the circle rock on the left: there is an overflow box left of center and not much real estate to the left of the overflow. :(
Of course! Just a thought, in the end its what you think looks best and will be best for your animals. Thats all that matters.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back