Need some help deciding on Last Fish!

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of happy campers and have room for 1 more in my 120dt (6' long). Very mature tank and the gang have all been together for a long time. If I can get another one cool, if not I was thinking about a clean-up crew that wouldn't get eat'in.
Current gang, fish only no inverts.
Sailfin
Foxface
Pearlscale
Koran
Naso
Blue Throat (male)

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a good amount of open swimmers. Maybe go with A bottom/cave dweller or a perching fish like a hawk fish. Or if you’re wanting something else that swims around I didn’t see any wrasse on your list. Either way you might want to consider a fish that can hold its own. Being the last fish added to an established group of fish, usually needs to be the most aggressive of the group. That or use an acclimation box and ease into it.

OP
OP
W

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking of a Wrasse, any suggestions?
Also was considering another Trigger since I've had good luck with them over the last 3 decades.:eek:

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost suggested another trigger. I had two in my 120. I had a niger and pink tail. I lost my niger when I moved the tank and now I’ve got a blue throat and pink tail. That’s a better mix in my opinion. I keep reef tanks though so I’m kind of limited to the planktivore type of triggers. But if I had a fish only tank I’ve always wanted a clown trigger. As far as wrasse go you could do something on the mid aggression level like a blue head or harlequin tusk.

OP
OP
W

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Clown Trigger in the past but decided the 120 is too small to get another one. Had a Niger for 7 or 8 years but was leaning towards a bit more color. My Bluethroat is a youngster and is fun but rather boring in the color spectrum. never had a Pink Tail. Maybe a small one, perhaps a Bursa?
Aren't the H-Tusk difficult?
$349 for a Harlequin, well that decision has been made, Ouch!

Last edited:

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are and maybe not my best suggestion. I wasn’t sure what you were after so I just threw one out from each side of the spectrum. Pink tails are cool. Mine is like a dog. It comes to the surface when I walk up to the tank and will let me touch it. I’ve never owned a bursa so I wouldn’t be able to say. Another fish to consider is a puffer. I had a blue spot for years that would spit water at you from the surface when it wanted to be fed. That was a fun fish.

OP
OP
W

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats tuff is ya really can't rely on any compatiablity charts, I've put what were suppose to be bitter enemies in my tank and they could care less. I may go with a Dwarf Lion, but in the past I've had trouble getting the dwarfs to eat. I just need more tanks! :)

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t agree more! A few more tanks solves every fish/reef keepers problem. Well, except for the lack of money and the time they consume… But it fixes all “want” problems for sure. A dwarf lion would be a cool addition. I have only tried one and couldn’t get it eat unfortunately so I get your concern. But if you can manage it would be a cool addition.

OP
OP
W

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several Lions over the years but the dwarf wouldn't eat, tried the old trick of putting a 1 liter pop bottle with the bottom cutout over him with a variety of live food swimming in the container and he just sat there. Maybe if I can find one at my LFS and see it eat I'll grab one!
I Just looked at the Puffer, I like that idea. Years ago I had a Valentini Puffer but he decided to hide behind a pump, he lost that battle. :(

OP
OP
W

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at your build thread, WOW! Nice support center!
Can you recommend a anemone that doesn't require a lot of light?
Called my LFS and requested a Blue Spot Puffer, they chase new fish every tuesday and then Q them, best part is there's no obligation to buy even if I ask for something specific. Pays to have a long term relationship with a LFS if possible.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much light you talking about? I’ve kept RBTA’s under pretty low light. Around 65-70 par. That pretty low in my opinion. I need to update my build thread. Those are older pics. It’s gotten bigger since then. I’m working on a 300 Gal build right now.

OP
OP
W

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question! I'll be talking with my LFS this week so I'm gonna see if I can rent a meter from them.
Had luck many many years ago with a long tenticle and a carpet back when T5's were all the rage.
My fish aren't picky so I'm running LEDs a couple inches above the majority of the tank.

OP
OP
W

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a Fluval Marine, light settings are set just for esthetics.
Light is on the glass lid, so from there to seabed is roughly 24".
I run a fairly deep crushed coral bed.
L72" x W16" x W24"

Attachments

• Fluval Marine Spectrum .pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 35

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back