Need some help setting up my apex :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GnarleyMarley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I would like to start out by saying I'm not very tech savvy, and this seems to be a techy type device, so I am having a lot of trouble.

Here is the background and problems I'm facing. I picked up a used Apex classic (Black version, I know old school) and have had it sitting in the closet for the past 3 months while I work on my new build. I just got around to hooking it up this past Saturday, and I have been working on it ever since. I have the system hardwired to my router via Ethernet cable, and I have 2 eb8, 1 breakout box, and the controller interface.

The biggest problem is that the controller interface is not working properly. It lights up and shows the temp, ph, date, ect but when i hit the center button to bring up the menu, it seems to have a terrible lag, and when it does pull up the menu some of the words are missing, or some of the letters for the words are missing. After i get beyond that point its hit or miss if i can go into any of the settings. I have not been able to get to the serial numbers, or anything. At one point I did manage to see the IP address, and it appears the guy i bought it from ran a static IP address, and it does not match the ip address my router has assigned it. So after doing a lot of reading it appears that if i was able to update the firmware for the controller then it should fix the issues I'm having. The problem is i cannot preform the update.

I have opened the flash utility to preform the update and tried to preform it with the static IP address it has stored to no avail. I then tried to run the update with the IP address my router assigned it, and after several attempts, and several times cycling the power, I finally got it to preform the latest firmware update but was unable to update the web pages. After I got the update installed I tried to pull up the classic dashboard by inputting the IP address preceded with http:// into the address bar, but it cannot find the web page. I verified that the IP address was correct by bringing up the CMD prompt and pinging the address with 100% success.

I'm at a loss. I have put in a ticket with Neptune and have been trying to get help from them, but it is really slow. I started emailing him 2 days ago, and so far i have only gotten back 2 email responses. I was really hoping to get this thing setup before I fill up the new tank, so I don't have to run the reefkeeper at all, but I'm at a total loss.

Thank you in advance for any and all help this community can provide.

-Anthony

Furiousreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune usually really quick, I mean 24 hrs turn around. I think neptune will help in someways, but if the controller is old, most likely they will fix it at some cost. I would suggest reset/factory setting everything first and try to update it by using instruction in the flash utility. If you have trouble with the display. You can borrow the display from a friend or buy a used/new display and go from there.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with doing a factory reset. You won't be using any of the old programs anyway. I set mine up with DHCP and I used Fusion to get everything going. Fusion is MUCH easier to program the APEX.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What port is the Apex set up to use? If it is anything other than 80 then you need to add :port# to the end of the URL.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Master reset the apex using the display....I guess your display is on the way out .... so it might take a few trials.
Neptune support can log into your computer remotely and fix the issues for you.......
From personal experience, the web pages takes longer to update and you might need to do it more than once if the previous attempts fail

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look up apex reset file, It should pop or somewhere on the net. That's where I found mine, reset your apex using the utility program.

There's also another old fashion way. But I haven't done it in a long time. Connecting the Ethernet port to your computer and logging on with that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back