Need Suggestions on Reef care and test kits

Kaushik5916

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 28, 2025
Messages
35
Reaction score
20
Location
Australia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I got few corals in my just cycled tank (20L nano tank) A Blasto and Goniopora.

Agreed, I messed up getting corals so soon for my tank, just got excited.

It’s been 2 days since I got them, and the goniopora doesn’t seem to be happy and does not open fully. Whereas the Blasto, opens up for few hours and closes (I think that’s normal?).

I terms of lighting, it’s a basic blue light (not sure about any PAR levels of it) it’s just a basic 6 watt blue light.

Furthermore, the tank is not equipped with a wave maker, however I’ll be ordering one today which might take about 10 days to arrive.

My questions are:
- Is it still worth getting something like Redsea Foundation ABC and also testing kits for the same (Magnesium, Calcium. alkalinity).
- How long do you think the corals can go without the supplements and a wave maker?
- Again, does the lighting play a big role? In terms of PAR levels n stuff like that.
- Is it something I can work on, try and make them happy? Or is it not worth it?
- Need guidance to exactly what I should do next? Exact steps to take so I can still revive them before it’s too late.

Thanks in Advance :) and ya, I WILL NOT BE DOING THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN :(
 
I did this too. Don’t worry. Go to Petco and get some sort of water mover. For test kits, Hannah makes an excellent choice. Calcium, alkalinity and magnesium are the top three. A refractometer can test salinity.
Lighting is very important. There are so many lights now. But definitely purchase for growing coral.
Head over to your local fish store. Make friends with them. Used equipment can get you started for cheap. But this hobby can get expensive.
Good luck
 
You don't need supplements for several months. You need a powerhead of some kind to move water. And start saving your money for a light upgrade, 6 watts is like the power of a candle and it won't grow anything. Don't spend more money on corals until you get that figured out. Get into the habit of weekly water changes. And get good test kits, not API, salifert or hanna are the best. Start testing your water and start understanding the trends. Go slow! a newly cycled tank is not a good environment for a coral, they like stable and mature set ups. Good luck
 
I did this too. Don’t worry. Go to Petco and get some sort of water mover. For test kits, Hannah makes an excellent choice. Calcium, alkalinity and magnesium are the top three. A refractometer can test salinity.
Lighting is very important. There are so many lights now. But definitely purchase for growing coral.
Head over to your local fish store. Make friends with them. Used equipment can get you started for cheap. But this hobby can get expensive.
Good luck
Thanks for responding @tzabor10
Unfortunately finding a water move for just a 5 Gallon tank is difficult here. Will have to ship it all the way from US.

And yes, I use a refractometer for salinity and Salifert test kits.

Anyways, your response makes me feel a little confident now, thank you so much mate :)
 
You don't need supplements for several months. You need a powerhead of some kind to move water. And start saving your money for a light upgrade, 6 watts is like the power of a candle and it won't grow anything. Don't spend more money on corals until you get that figured out. Get into the habit of weekly water changes. And get good test kits, not API, salifert or hanna are the best. Start testing your water and start understanding the trends. Go slow! a newly cycled tank is not a good environment for a coral, they like stable and mature set ups. Good luck
Thanks allot Mate :) you’ve been responding to almost all my Threads.

As you said, will get myself a wave maker and get into the habit of Water changes and stuff like that. Will work on my basics then jumping into stuff without any knowledge.

I’ve been using Salifert for testing my Water parameters, pretty happy with it, so I’ll stick to that. It’s budget friendly too :)

Completely get what you’re saying :) Thank you so much, Appreciate it :)
 
Got ya :) Thanks for responding @KrisReef
I’m not sure what your situation is with getting seawater or salt where you are reefing, (in Australia?). Are you living in the interior?
I live close to Sydney (Aus) and ya, there are pretty good Marine Aquarium stores here where I can get pre mixed Salt water or even salt.
 
I live close to Sydney (Aus) and ya, there are pretty good Marine Aquarium stores here where I can get pre mixed Salt water or even salt.
How are you keeping salinity pinned at 1.026.
Do you use an ATO?


Small water changes real fast.
 
I live close to Sydney (Aus) and ya, there are pretty good Marine Aquarium stores here where I can get pre mixed Salt water or even salt.
How are you keeping salinity pinned at 1.026.
Do you use an ATO?


Small water changes real fast.
Not really pinned to 1.026, the last time I checked it, it was about 1.024.

Nope, I don’t use a ATO. it’s just a 5 Gallon tank.

I did my first water chance today which was about 5%.
 
I personally like the hanna test kits. Takes a couple of tries to get used to it (especially pouring out the reagents from the little pouches), but once you have it dialed in it works perfectly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new