Need sump build advice

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning a 240 gallon display and have lots of room underneath, so I bought a used 100 gallon acrylic tank to turn into a sumpfugium. Was this dumb?

The tank was used as a display, has corner overflows with a total of six bulkheads in the back: 2 in each overflow and 2 returns. So I plugged the returns in the back, filled the tank and found out the overflows leak. (Tank water leaks into the overflow boxes). I cannot figure out where exactly, but it's both overflows and probably all along the seams.

What should I do?

I could dremel out the overflows and make sure all six bulkheads are capped. I could try to use acrylic cement on all the seams, but I've never worked with acrylic cement before. It's a pretty large tank, too.

One other question: Should I make glass baffles or acrylic? I'm assuming I'd get a better bond iwth acrylic, but again, can anybody including someone not handy learn to work with it?

Thanks in advance.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is pretty easy to work with, much easier than glass, metal, or even wood.

its real easy to get good bonds with too. And easy to cut. Get some thick super glue, some pieces of acrylic, and a hand knife and/or hand saw. I’m sure you’ll succeed.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 43.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back