Need to find a LFS

Kilroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I finally have finished my cycle and am ready to add a fish! Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is about 6. I have a handful of snails for CUC but would like to get a Royal Gramma (starting slow). I ordered one from LiveAquaria but it arrived this morning dead. I am pretty bummed about having sentence the poor guy to death. I would like to just use a LFS but I need some recommendations. I Have my QT up and running since I planned on putting a fish into it this morning. Anyone have a recomendation? I tried to get ahold of Mike with Hudson Valley Fish -N- Reef last week and this morning but I haven't heard back so I am not sure if he is open.

~ Kilroy

NYreefNOOB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's pete's aquarium on 52 in fishkill and aquarium solution in wappingers falls. honestly ive had good luck at petco in wappingers but they havent gotten anything lately due to current situation

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my last delivery of fish from TSM Aquatics, who fully quarantine their fish (https://tsmaquatics.com/). The fish arrived healthy and took right to the tank. They are located in lower NJ so the fish don't have to travel too far.

I can't see myself getting fish from anywhere else in the future.

Last edited:

Fsanzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Solutions 101 in Wappingers falls right off of 376. Really nice guy great selection of fish and corals and dry goods. Some of his stuff is a little on the pricier side but everything I get from him is awesome. Totally worth a check out.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on your cycled tank and sorry to hear about the Royal Gramma. Also, thumbs up for starting slow. Sounds like you have the discipline needed for success in this hobby.

Aquarium Solutions 101 is a nice clean shop and should be able to help you out. Hudson Valley Fish-N-Reef is an excellent vendor as well. I would try again to get hold of them, so you have a good relationship with a few of the better local shops. The last time I was at 101, I picked up a very healthy lawnmower blenny and it looks like they are getting more fish in again.

I believe it is 100% worth paying a higher of a price for a fish that has been in a shop for a few weeks. An LFS takes on the risk of ordering the fish, making sure they are eating and healthy, housing them for some time to notice any parasites and treat, you get to see the actual size and behavior of the fish, among the fact we should all be supporting our local fish shops, whenever possible.

Anyway, that's my rant. Lol. Best of luck!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 34 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back