Need to move my tank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you take the tank apart and clean the sandbed out, drain and catch about half the water for re use, move the tank empty then reset it it all back up on 100% cloud free rinsed sand it will just skip cycle move. we have a fifty page thread of doing that job repeatedly. if you try and move the system half drained, or uncleaned sand, no big threads exist for that as its a less safe option.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason we'd deep clean is because upwelling waste in the new tank is not beneficial to any degree at all.

but installing sand that can't cloud, and rocks that were swished in saltwater clean before set back in new tank (they have no clouding attached waste now) is perfect and very well documented. even if you can just drain and slide it, refilling back on top of that sand isnt the same as leaving that sand alone, it moves around the waste and you risk big invasion upsets the next few months. there's no setting in which a cloudy sandbed is preferable to a laser clean one. when physically handling tanks, the cleaned ones always live and the loss examples we can find were from those who refused to clean. thats the % breakdown as I see it lol

if you want to see the jobs ill show the thread of the work. they're all the same

take down tank, blast clean all sand in tapwater for hours until clear

final rinse in ro to evacuate tap, now the sand is cloudless and can't cause a recycle.

swish old rocks in old tankwater to cast off waste

move tank, reset up perfect sand

and rocks

match only temp and salinity to the old setup no others need match

also drop your light intensity to re ramp back up in the new tank, not full blast power after cleaning. that action is what we have fifty pages of, so the initial concern over tap rinsing sand wouldnt factor. its core to the method

if you move without cleaning the sand, based on the avatar pic and ratios/cleanliness I give the tank a 75% chance of total success, a ten pct chance of total crash, and 15% chance of cyano issues within a month but nothing severe. We have examples on page one showing total fish loss in moving unrinsed sand, that’s where 10% came from

and if you move clean sand, only perfection results on the other side not any bad outcomes. deep cleaning a sandbed adds the most lifespan to your reef of anything you can do physically to it or buy for it. its your one chance to change out the waste vs always fight it with various nutrient controls for the rest of the life of the tank.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

check out the clean jobs on just that one page. they're all tap rinsed, every single one. we can move reefs in the clean condition anywhere/upgrades, tank downgrades, thats all skip cycle work. zero bottle bac used, not allowed in fact. we dont allow doubting is why that and ammonia testing isn't allowed, the method is already pure we dont need api to taint it lol.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you take the tank apart and clean the sandbed out, drain and catch about half the water for re use, move the tank empty then reset it it all back up on 100% cloud free rinsed sand it will just skip cycle move. we have a fifty page thread of doing that job repeatedly. if you try and move the system half drained, or uncleaned sand, no big threads exist for that as its a less safe option.
Hey, what’s the tread. Looking to move my tank , replace flooring and put a new tank in

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s that one above from post #4 it shows the rinse and reset for hundreds of tanks, no bottle bac used we just always rinse the sand and setup skip cycle super cleaned tanks.

some folks move it all, relocate the tank without rip cleaning it but there’s no benefit in doing so, the benefit comes directly from installing either clean or brand new sand in the new setup as that makes the new tank ageless, not prone to any invasions or cycling issues and keeping the sandbed unclean simply jostles around a bunch of waste the tank doesn’t need. The move and new flooring is a chance to intervene and clean any reef is key detail from those collected works

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Brute trash cans to store water.

remove sand and replace! Best time to do it now

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just paint around it the best you can. Nobody will notice. Use a small trim brush..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back