nem spacing in a mixed reef nano

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice mixed reef nano tank (20 gal, 2ft long) and am considering adding a BTA for my clownfish pair. However, I'm concerned my space is too small for it.

I've never owned a nem before and am worried about it not liking the spot I put it in and stinging other corals. I have a nice layout of my current corals and am worried about rocking the boat.

I have a spot picked out for it with moderate flow / lighting and ~4-6 inches in any direction away from the nearest coral (see picture with red arrow). There would be a ricordea mushroom above the spot and some zoas on a neighboring rock.

How likely is a bta to move around? Will it sting my other corals / fish? General thoughts on a BTA in a mixed reef tank of this size?

I really want my clownfish to pair with something, so if the nem is a bad idea for this sized tank / current tank mates, I'm also interested in people's opinions of an alternative coral!

20221230_213106.jpg

Research Monkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem will most likely move and will likely split as well meaning they'll end up moving around the entire tank. You could get lucky though I suppose.

Word of caution. They are easier to keep when the tank is more established. Your tank looks fairly new. Oh and another note... your clowns might not take to the nem. Mine took 4-5 months before they ended up hosting one. And another tip... get a nem guard on that wave maker and on your overflow.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem will most likely move and will likely split as well meaning they'll end up moving around the entire tank. You could get lucky though I suppose.

Word of caution. They are easier to keep when the tank is more established. Your tank looks fairly new. Oh and another note... your clowns might not take to the nem. Mine took 4-5 months before they ended up hosting one. And another tip... get a nem guard on that wave maker and on your overflow.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply!

You are right, my tank is new (3 months old). What's the difficulty in new tanks? Water stability?

I've read that clowns are finicky with picking a location to be hosted and am prepared for the long game lol. I figure at least give them something to increase their chances and that might like to host them (instead of them irritating a torch or something).

The nem guards is a good tip, however, makes me wonder if the nem is worth all the effort/anxiety haha

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good Luck!
So is it a big issue in an established tank if a nem splits and wanders around? Does it sting/kill whatever it lands next to?

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’mMy tank didn’t feel complete without the anemones I have now! It took a long time to find the aquaculture’s ones I wanted and about a month before my clown fish left my Frogspawn for the new rainbow bubble tip. Even better since we added a sebae anemone and they love it even more! I added them when the tank was 2 years mature. They seem to like the nutrients in the tank
BB08F6A9-6E15-4373-A780-3C4457101B34.jpeg

That being said. You should maybe wait another 3-4 months to add an anemone since they are sensitive to changes in parameters
If your clown fish don’t host it right away, you could get some porcelain crabs for your anemone in the mean time. Very entertaining!

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it a big issue in an established tank if a nem splits and wanders around? Does it sting/kill whatever it lands next to?
I’ve had mine over 6 months no splits. I was really worried about my anemones moving around at first. Then I realized I have no power and it doesn’t matter since they move so fast. Be ready to accommodate the spot they want (move frags or corals). Mine both ( sebae and bubble tip) do not sting my corals but they are pushy and will sit right on top of them and shade them from light. I move corals and then they stay there mostly if they like the spot. My anemones like a little food tossed at them when I feed.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’mMy tank didn’t feel complete without the anemones I have now! It took a long time to find the aquaculture’s ones I wanted and about a month before my clown fish left my Frogspawn for the new rainbow bubble tip. Even better since we added a sebae anemone and they love it even more! I added them when the tank was 2 years mature. They seem to like the nutrients in the tank
BB08F6A9-6E15-4373-A780-3C4457101B34.jpeg

That being said. You should maybe wait another 3-4 months to add an anemone since they are sensitive to changes in parameters
If your clown fish don’t host it right away, you could get some porcelain crabs for your anemone in the mean time. Very entertaining!

I’ve had mine over 6 months no splits. I was really worried about my anemones moving around at first. Then I realized I have no power and it doesn’t matter since they move so fast. Be ready to accommodate the spot they want (move frags or corals). Mine both ( sebae and bubble tip) do not sting my corals but they are pushy and will sit right on top of them and shade them from light. I move corals and then they stay there mostly if they like the spot. My anemones like a little food tossed at them when I feed.
Thanks for the info! Also, beautiful picture of your nem/clownfish!!

How fast do they grow? Another concern is that if they grow to be a foot wide in my 2ft tank, it doesn't leave much space lol. Not sure how long it would take to get that big though

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Also, beautiful picture of your nem/clownfish!!

How fast do they grow? Another concern is that if they grow to be a foot wide in my 2ft tank, it doesn't leave much space lol. Not sure how long it would take to get that big though
Probably growth depends on your parameters and tank. I’m not an expert on anemone growth. My bubble tip has grown maybe 2” since March this year. No sign of splitting yet. Sebae hasn’t grown much but has much more consistent color now. Would not recommend sebae without a very mature and stable rank, but my bubble has been very forgiving comparatively. I would imagine at least 1-3 years if you started with a small specimen.

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it again in my nano. The thing was very small when I got it but it quickly split and both started to grow and sting other corals.

IMG20220411205327.jpg

I had to move a couple of things and the clownfish never looked at them.

I had to take them out cause they grew so big the tentacles where getting sucked up by the powehead. They where a pain to take out cause my scape was one solid piece. Don't get me wrong I loved the colors and movement but in a nano I wouldn't do it again unless it was an dedicated anemone tank. Wich I might do in the future since the tank is now sitting empty

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it again in my nano. The thing was very small when I got it but it quickly split and both started to grow and sting other corals.

IMG20220411205327.jpg

I had to move a couple of things and the clownfish never looked at them.

I had to take them out cause they grew so big the tentacles where getting sucked up by the powehead. They where a pain to take out cause my scape was one solid piece. Don't get me wrong I loved the colors and movement but in a nano I wouldn't do it again unless it was an dedicated anemone tank. Wich I might do in the future since the tank is now sitting empty
Thanks for sharing your experience!

What size tank did you have? Was that a BTA? That nem is gorgeous!

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience!

What size tank did you have? Was that a BTA? That nem is gorgeous!
This was in a red sea max nano.

Yes it was sold to me as a multicolored bta. But the green color where only around the mouth. Gorgeous creatures. The patterns on the nems where so cool.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back