NeoNitro dose?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dose 2 ppm nitrate per day for a few days to see what happens.

I'm not a fan of using products of unknown purity such as Neonitro, but one can calculate the dose from Brightwell's literature (with the assumption that they are correct, which might not be true lol).

"1 ml NEONITRO will increase the nitrate concentration in 1 US-gallon (~3.8 L) by ~5 ppm; "

So to dose 2 ppm in 270 gallons will require:

1 mL/gallon x 270 gallons x 2 ppm/5 ppm = 108 mL per day

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not a fan of using products of unknown purity such as Neonitro, but one can calculate the dose from Brightwell's literature (with the assumption that they are correct, which might not be true lol).

"1 ml NEONITRO will increase the nitrate concentration in 1 US-gallon (~3.8 L) by ~5 ppm; "

Your the best :p thanks

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would you recommend dosing 2 ppm for any size tank?

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Randy Holmes-Farley, So I've done this dose two consecutive days. Still reading zero. How many days should I keep going dosing 108 per day. Will i run into a issue if i do it for to long?

Or keep going until i can measure a amount in the water column?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley, So I've done this dose two consecutive days. Still reading zero. How many days should I keep going dosing 108 per day. Will i run into a issue if i do it for to long?

Or keep going until i can measure a amount in the water column?

Its fine to up the dose, assuming you trust the kit.

When are you measuring relative to dosing?

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its fine to up the dose, assuming you trust the kit.

When are you measuring relative to dosing?
I'm just test with redsea coral pro test kit. And a salifert for reference.

Dosed a third 108ml today. Will test tomorrow and see. It seems as though cyno is getting worse maybe, hard to tell.

I've uped feeding aswell

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just test with redsea coral pro test kit. And a salifert for reference.

Dosed a third 108ml today. Will test tomorrow and see. It seems as though cyno is getting worse maybe, hard to tell.

I've uped feeding aswell

My question was the timing. If you test 30 min after dosing and get zero, something is wrong. If you test the next day, it is likely just the consumption.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question was the timing. If you test 30 min after dosing and get zero, something is wrong. If you test the next day, it is likely just the consumption.
Ok so here is the back story.

I was growing Chateo nicely, like two basketball sizes and had measurable No3 and everything in the tank was good. Sps growth was great and Lps was doing great.

Noticed Bryopsis had gotten into my system probably from a snail, as I QT everything for 76 days prior to anything going into display. This was Oct 26th.

I pulled all my Chateo and started dosing Vibrant Nov 1. I then ramped up Vibrant for Bryopsis, dosing once a week, 27ml, starting Nov 18. continued to do that for months with little effect. Maybe reduced Bryopsis thirty to fourty percent. Stopped dosing Vibrant once a week Mar 4th. Bryopsis that still persists is maybe 6 golf ball size spots.

About a month ago, I noticed things going south. An elegance wouldn't open, hair algae drowning acan disks, Gold torch head mildly retracting, which since has stopped. And an odd film on side panels of glass. I used to have to clean glass once every three to four days from normal algae haze, but that stopped as of recently.

I tried adding Chateo back Mar 8th and it just died. I since have another large batch into QT, i can add back in a little over a week after QT.

Current stock, I have only one tang, wrasses, some Anthius and some others, but nothing too big to help with the cycle. Total of 17 fish currently, and a lot of coral.

I have four other tangs out of QT and ready for DT in about 13 days. With a few other wrasses, etc.

Current Parameters are,

PH (8.08-8.25)
TEMP (77.9-78.2)
SAL (1.025-1.026)
CAL 470
ALK 9.9
MAG 1400
Po4 (still .1)
No3 (.1-.2 After test, 30 min after NeoNitro dose)

My Cal and Dkh have seemed to be a little high lately, as in prior to this happening it was Cal 400-440 and Dkh was 8.4 to 8.8. Recently they have since gone upward a bit.

I've since reduced dosing amount for Cal and Dkh by 8ml per day. I'm not sure why it went up, maybe something to do with what is going on now.

Today after dosing, my Nitrates did rise. Tested after 30 min, Nitrate was around .2 on Salifert test and around .1 with Coral pro test.

I dose Acro power once a week. Reef Roids once a week. Auto Feeder twice a day.

Should I dose the Reef Flux i have to eradicate the Bryopsis now and not later?? Is this maybe the consumption of my Nitrates?

I have never had an issue prior to Vibrant, for the exception of the Bryopsis.

I'm really feeling this Bryopsis is part of this equation. I'm all ears right now as myself being a newbie, I'm SO confused right now. Tank just hit one year old this week.

Also red cyno or dino (i have no idea what it is) is starting on rocks it seems as well. I also for the first time am seeing algae and the cyno/dino on sand bed. This has only happened recently. I'm so confused, ugh.

Edit: @GoVols You have any thoughts on this? Wether dino or cyno, its seems to 90% go away over night while lights are out.

Resized_20200329_124544(1).jpg Resized_20200329_124620(1).jpeg Resized_20200329_124626(1).jpeg Resized_20200329_124636.jpg Resized_20200329_124648.jpeg Resized_20200329_124626.jpeg Resized_20200329_124620.jpeg Resized_20200329_124544.jpg 20200329_132950.jpg 20200329_131451.jpg

Last edited:

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is the back story.

I was growing Chateo nicely, like two basketball sizes and had measurable No3 and everything in the tank was good. Sps growth was great and Lps was doing great.

Noticed Bryopsis had gotten into my system probably from a snail, as I QT everything for 76 days prior to anything going into display. This was Oct 26th.

I pulled all my Chateo and started dosing Vibrant Nov 1. I then ramped up Vibrant for Bryopsis, dosing once a week, 27ml, starting Nov 18. continued to do that for months with little effect. Maybe reduced Bryopsis thirty to fourty percent. Stopped dosing Vibrant once a week Mar 4th. Bryopsis that still persists is maybe 6 golf ball size spots.

About a month ago, I noticed things going south. An elegance wouldn't open, hair algae drowning acan disks, Gold torch head mildly retracting, which since has stopped. And an odd film on side panels of glass. I used to have to clean glass once every three to four days from normal algae haze, but that stopped as of recently.

I tried adding Chateo back Mar 8th and it just died. I since have another large batch into QT, i can add back in a little over a week after QT.

Current stock, I have only one tang, wrasses, some Anthius and some others, but nothing too big to help with the cycle. Total of 17 fish currently, and a lot of coral.

I have four other tangs out of QT and ready for DT in about 13 days. With a few other wrasses, etc.

Current Parameters are,

PH (8.08-8.25)
TEMP (77.9-78.2)
SAL (1.025-1.026)
CAL 470
ALK 9.9
MAG 1400
Po4 (still .1)
No3 (.1-.2 After test, 30 min after NeoNitro dose)

My Cal and Dkh have seemed to be a little high lately, as in prior to this happening it was Cal 400-440 and Dkh was 8.4 to 8.8. Recently they have since gone upward a bit.

I've since reduced dosing amount for Cal and Dkh by 8ml per day. I'm not sure why it went up, maybe something to do with what is going on now.

Today after dosing, my Nitrates did rise. Tested after 30 min, Nitrate was around .2 on Salifert test and around .1 with Coral pro test.

I dose Acro power once a week. Reef Roids once a week. Auto Feeder twice a day.

Should I dose the Reef Flux i have to eradicate the Bryopsis now and not later?? Is this maybe the consumption of my Nitrates?

I have never had an issue prior to Vibrant, for the exception of the Bryopsis.

I'm really feeling this Bryopsis is part of this equation. I'm all ears right now as myself being a newbie, I'm SO confused right now. Tank just hit one year old this week.

Also red cyno or dino (i have no idea what it is) is starting on rocks it seems as well. I also for the first time am seeing algae and the cyno/dino on sand bed. This has only happened recently. I'm so confused, ugh.

Edit: @GoVols You have any thoughts on this? Wether dino or cyno, its seems to 90% go away over night while lights are out.

Resized_20200329_124544(1).jpg Resized_20200329_124620(1).jpeg Resized_20200329_124626(1).jpeg Resized_20200329_124636.jpg Resized_20200329_124648.jpeg Resized_20200329_124626.jpeg Resized_20200329_124620.jpeg Resized_20200329_124544.jpg 20200329_132950.jpg 20200329_131451.jpg

hey I actually noticed the same red slime coming in from my dosing as well. Interesting.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey I actually noticed the same red slime coming in from my dosing as well. Interesting.

Bear in mind he was also dosing the Vibrant algaecide for a while prior to the nitrate, which may have messed up things.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping for nitrate dosing question. Also using neo nitrate. Any harm in mixing a jug of neo with fresh RO or just throwing it in with the ATO water or kalkwsser doser.

guess I’m just wondering if there’s anything it’ll interact badly with or anything I should mix it with. Seems easier (even though I have a 4 pump doser) to just mix it to the correct dilution and let it piggy back off another process.

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate: [Dose in ml] = [System Volume in Gallons] * [How many PPM you want to add] * 0.1261

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there anything wrong with just pouring the appropriate amount into an ATO or an already existing kalkwasser doser. More a question of delivery vs dosing amount.

as in does it sink or float or does it just dissipate pretty uniformly.

Lets say I want to add 1ppm per day in a 90G. That would be about 11ml per day.

now let’s say my ATO released 5 gallons of water (the entirety of the container) into the sump over 5 days.

can I just add 55ml every time I replenish the ATO every 5 days and get my 1ppm every day or will something weird happen?

Last edited:

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mixing is ok, but if it is diluted, algae may grow in it and take up N.

entirely possible. Hmmm. Guess I’ll just use the doser. Mind you it already is diluted according to the bottle but also guessing the bottle has no contaminates of any kind.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
entirely possible. Hmmm. Guess I’ll just use the doser. Mind you it already is diluted according to the bottle but also guessing the bottle has no contaminates of any kind.

Well, one thing I am certain of is that it is not ever the case for any material that " the bottle has no contaminates of any kind.".

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m switching from NeoNitro to Loudwolf Calcium Nitrate per your advice on another post. Could I kindly ask for your help to make a solution that is similar dosage as NeoNitro?

Im thinking about making a spreadsheet for everyone to share that we could all build together so people can quick reference the dosages between different products.

Trisodium Phosphate by Loudwolf is 100x cheaper than NeoPhos.
(113g makes 113x 500ml bottle of NeoPhos. @ 1g:500ml rodi - Similar price around $15 each, so like 113x if you were buying the 500ml NeoPhos)

Your answer to the above will help us to understand the concentration/cheapness of NeoNitro vs Calcium Nitrate, I’m hoping it’s similarly cheaper.

I also switched to Waterglass from SpongExcel and it seems to be about 20x cheaper.
(1 gal water glass 10x more concentrated 2x volume of & same cost as 2L of SpongExcel)

Would anyone else be interested in helping to flesh out a spreadsheet we could all edit, access, and share? Would be honored if you could contribute @Randy Holmes-Farley since all the info I have so far is mostly just coming from you anyways lol.

Back