Neptune DoS clogged tubing

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of my Neptune Dos's for automatic water changes. The salt line got totally clogged recently. Have you guys experienced this and how do you keep your lines clear?
The tubing goes into my salt mixing trash can which also has a power head in there. Both the power head and the bottom of the can are coated w/this precipitation.
33793979733_d8473d02f5_k_d.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use mine for water changes, but I have had them periodically get gunked up just dosing calcium and alk. I just keep a bunch on hand and replace every once in a while. Is it possible you have an air leak somewhere? I can't see the water drying up and leaving salt residue if everything is sealed?

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No leak. It was in there with the mixing pump. I would frequently mix new batches and leave the pump going. I suspect most of the precipitation was formed due to the pump heat and water movement. Since the Dos was turning on every 10 minutes or so, it eventually sucked up enough precip to clog the tube. I was able to clean it out with white vinegar and a tennis string which I jammed up and down the tube.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to clean out your AWC container. Auto water changes the work from just moving a lot of water to your tank by hand. To checking the AWC system weekly for issues. I use a container for the clean saltwater that is changed once a week and cleaned. I also monitor the waste container to make use they are equal removal and addition. This lets me know I that I have the system working correctly.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
set the water change so that it is continuous and never stops. On mine it is slowly changing our water 24hours a day.

Edit I usually replace my lines once per year.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is continuous as well. The DOS is what creates the intervals I mentioned.
As for the wastewater, my DOS and water filters are in the basement so I plumbed the wastewater to go directly into the sewage. That way there's no chance of overflow. I'll have to do a better job making sure the Brute trash can is cleaner.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to fritz salt so I never get residue buildup. I mix the salt in one brute then transfer it to the WC brute.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back