Neptune SKY early leak

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they might arrive just about the time my WB-P7225 will be ready for them… at least I hope so. Definitely not going to put lights until I know a certain release date.

bmeily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the build quality is equivalent to other modules of late, looking at you trident, these will be plastic junk.
I picked up a trident a coupe weeks ago and was surprised by it also, it just feels lite and flimsy. The drawer feels like it just lays in there. I guess I’m just from a time when quality things are made of metal and heavy. But I guess it doesn’t really matter as long as it performs well. Which I don’t have experience with yet.
60” tank is pushing it for 4 XR15s depending on what you’re keeping. I’d say it’s almost territory for 3x XR30 on the contrary 2x of these Sky lights seem to be right in line.
Pushing it I will try. It will be a pretty standard mixed tank. SPS and acros in the top half of the tank. I originally planned for 48in tank but I think the location will be fine for a 60in and it’s not much in tank price to jump 12in. I planned for 3 xr15 G5 on the 48 but I didn’t think it was going to work on a 60in. I’m planning for 4 and will check it with the par meter. I also have a T5 ballast laying around I could throw on. Or return the xr15 for xr30s or 2 skys.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
strange that the fans push air down. arn't you just adding heat to the water and hot air rises

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV causes certain corals to fluoresce, noticeable difference in running with and without UV channels on Radions.

Well, I hate to break it to you, but the "UV" on redion isn't actual uv spectrum. UV spectrum is between 100-400nm wavelength, ecotech website says the UV channels are 405nm and 415nm. It's close to UV, but not actual UV, more like a very dark violet which would be very good at making colors pop.

It's very hard for me to shell out $800 for a light when they don't even label colors and spectrum correctly. It's not like they can argue that 405nm is UV, it simply isn't UV spectrum. The g5 is a great light though, and grows some awesomely colored corals, it just baffles me when companies mislabel something that can be easily checked.

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if they are thinking of a smaller version for smaller tanks in the future? Seems like a thing they should have done during testing to get an idea, as not all aquarists have tanks that require the spread this is offering. I'd be surprised if it's not been looked at

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I hate to break it to you, but the "UV" on redion isn't actual uv spectrum. UV spectrum is between 100-400nm wavelength, ecotech website says the UV channels are 405nm and 415nm. It's close to UV, but not actual UV, more like a very dark violet which would be very good at making colors pop.

It's very hard for me to shell out $800 for a light when they don't even label colors and spectrum correctly. It's not like they can argue that 405nm is UV, it simply isn't UV spectrum. The g5 is a great light though, and grows some awesomely colored corals, it just baffles me when companies mislabel something that can be easily checked.

The difference of 5nm is a mute point IMO for the objective at hand, fluorescence. In running Radions vs several other brands of lights first hand there’s a very perceivable difference in fluorescence with “UV” channels. Many commercially sold “UV” bulbs omit 405nm and short visible wavelengths through 420nm can cause better “fluorescence” vs sub 400nm depending on what is being lit. Seems like you’re making much ado about nothing. But if that’s your determining factor on worthiness of a light so be it.

Pushing it I will try. It will be a pretty standard mixed tank. SPS and acros in the top half of the tank. I originally planned for 48in tank but I think the location will be fine for a 60in and it’s not much in tank price to jump 12in. I planned for 3 xr15 G5 on the 48 but I didn’t think it was going to work on a 60in. I’m planning for 4 and will check it with the par meter. I also have a T5 ballast laying around I could throw on. Or return the xr15 for xr30s or 2 skys.

It will work as far as PAR, shadowing would be the bigger issue, even with 2x XR30s if you have anything but small frags. Really curious to see if the sky is as good as reducing shadows as they have stated for this reason.

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the product description on the Neptune website, they need to add the LED counts by color/spectrum and manufacturer. If their not using Cree and Osram, or equivalent it would be an absolute deal breaker at that pricing. I'm trying not to be jaded as the Apex controllability would be a real plus, but many of their other accessories are built on the cheap, hopefully the lights warrant the cost

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question:

I often see people comment on the quality of Neptune products. Usually they are unfavorable and lean on the products being cheaply made.

So my question is, what is the reference? Are there competing platforms and products at the same price points I can compare against?

I have a new build I’m working on. Automation won’t come until cycling and a bit of maturing, so I have the option of choosing something other than Neptune which, for me, despite some hiccups delivers tremendous value. The integrations, programming, extensibility, mobile and web apps, support experience, and holistic approach I thought are top notch for the price points. Would I like more value? Of course! That doesn’t make it reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestions.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question:

I often see people comment on the quality of Neptune products. Usually they are unfavorable and lean on the products being cheaply made.

So my question is, what is the reference? Are there competing platforms and products at the same price points I can compare against?

I have a new build I’m working on. Automation won’t come until cycling and a bit of maturing, so I have the option of choosing something other than Neptune which, for me, despite some hiccups delivers tremendous value. The integrations, programming, extensibility, mobile and web apps, support experience, and holistic approach I thought are top notch for the price points. Would I like more value? Of course! That doesn’t make it reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestions.

That's the bigger problem, there is no direct competitor anymore. Digital Aquatics closed up shop, you have GHL which is really geared to the European market and Coralvue Hydros which is very much upcoming.

From a UI/overall stand point Neptune has the right idea, it's just their modules leave a lot to be desired. Many repair threads online documenting how many corners are cut with electronics components. I can't speak for their P&L statements but can speak from experience that the corners they cut impact the life of their product. I no longer expect much more than a year for an EB832/FMM based on my experience.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the bigger problem, there is no direct competitor anymore. Digital Aquatics closed up shop, you have GHL which is really geared to the European market and Coralvue Hydros which is very much upcoming.

From a UI/overall stand point Neptune has the right idea, it's just their modules leave a lot to be desired. Many repair threads online documenting how many corners are cut with electronics components. I can't speak for their P&L statements but can speak from experience that the corners they cut impact the life of their product. I no longer expect much more than a year for an EB832/FMM based on my experience.
A year? Wow.

Okay, that would certainly be problem. Thanks for the reply, too.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year? Wow.

Okay, that would certainly be problem. Thanks for the reply, too.

Plenty of people have them much longer, but I had 2 die right around a year for both modules. Apparently, the “buck converter” over heads with too many modules. Although I am within the specs Neptune posts. Their internal parts are the cheapest available. Considering I have a few thousand invested I was very disappointed to hear this

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melevsreefs has them on his tank.
IMO his tank looked better with his MH light.
He starts talking and showing them around the 8:20 minute mark.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than ‘interesting’, I shall wait until all the hype and initial ‘best thing ever’ hyperbole dies down LOL. Will ‘we’ ever learn. Going to have to think about replacing my Gen4 radion (bought early on) and perhaps this will be among the contenders.

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw these at RAP this weekend and they look good. The 24x30 coverage is the rating for SPS heavy tanks. The rep I spoke with stated 36x30 for LPS and softies and they can punch down just as deep. They’re light for their size and about an inch larger on all four sides than the xr30’s so they have some decent coverage (pretty similar in size to the arctic t247 but more robust). The price includes a diffuser as well.

Although Neptune doesn’t have an in-house mounting solution aside from a hanging kit, they work with the gen5 and older style xr30 mounting brackets. They have dual independent fans so if one goes out, the other will still run while you can figure out what to do, but that’s kind of pointless if the light has to be sent in for repair. Unless of course they send a replacement similar to the trident.

They seem fairly easy to integrate into an existing tank and look to be programmed similar to the wav pump. You can set points throughout the day and adjust intensity at each point. It will also come with several presets to choose from.

Looking forward to trying them soon. Will probably have a client set them up on an 8x4x4 in the next few months so we can get some decent par measurements and really see what they’re capable of.

bmeily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melevsreefs has them on his tank.
IMO his tank looked better with his MH light.
He starts talking and showing them around the 8:20 minute mark.

In Marc’s video they talked about how the lights started a Phillips lights and then Neptuneified them. I don’t have experience with Phillips like either though. He posted a pic of para numbers and only at 58% I believe. At least they can be used as stand alone units, that should help with sales too.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back