Neptune trident and its readings help

REEFLIFE.27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference is not to use the calibration solution provided in the Trident reagent kits. The levels are generally too far off (lower) from what I like to run my tank. I prefer to use my Salifert tests on Alk, Calcium and Magnesium and calibrate using those results. I also clean the mixing chamber of the Trident with a q-tip every 2 months when changing out the reagents. Super simple to do once you get the hang of it, don't even have to disconnect any tubes, just unscrew the 4 bottom screws and pop the cover off. Any stain buildup on the sides of the mixing chamber will slowly offset the results of the tests.
Is there any videos on how this is done ?

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search YouTube for "how to clean your neptune systems trident curvette". Tristan's Reef has a video. He does a more thorough breakdown, but it's actually not required to disconnect any of the tubes or remove any reagent bottles. Once the cover is off, you can get to the mixing chamber by removing the black plastic tape covering it.

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search YouTube for "how to clean your neptune systems trident curvette". Tristan's Reef has a video. He does a more thorough breakdown, but it's actually not required to disconnect any of the tubes or remove any reagent bottles. Once the cover is off, you can get to the mixing chamber by removing the black plastic tape covering it.
That’s super useful info, just cleaned mine and it was dirty so hopefully it’ll fix my issues. Do all tridents have a small white plastic bead inside the curvette? I imagine it’s part of the design but wanted to ask in case it’s not supposed to be there
6219BE4D-6FAB-40B8-A696-5FE59A4731CB.jpeg

Imback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s super useful info, just cleaned mine and it was dirty so hopefully it’ll fix my issues. Do all tridents have a small white plastic bead inside the curvette? I imagine it’s part of the design but wanted to ask in case it’s not supposed to be there
6219BE4D-6FAB-40B8-A696-5FE59A4731CB.jpeg
Did you notice a difference after you cleaned it?

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice a difference after you cleaned it?
Not really, although it wasn’t very dirty at all. I found that Alkalinity seems to be the most accurate parameter. Magnesium and calcium are pretty off. This seems to be the case for other people as well. I just shoot for stability now rather than accuracy and run magnesium and calcium a bit high without any issues.

Back