Neptune trident

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you,but the point automation of a system like this is consistency and automation.

Do you have the time/energy/effort to check those parameters multiple times and day?
I check alkalinity twice a week calcium once a week and magnesium once a month I dose 2 part with my Apex and as long as you have your pumps dialed in right it doesn't very much I don't see why you need to test multiple times a day if you have your dosing pumps dialed in

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People asking, the "two months" is based around testing DKH 4x daily, Ca 2x daily and Mg 2x daily.

Stated precision:
0.05 DKH
10ppm Ca
10ppm Mg

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am SO in! Let's hope they don't do what they did with the COR with this one.

Where do I sign up?

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doubt they would shoot themselves in the foot by making it exclusive to 2016 models only. that would be a major community back lash and people would drop their entire lineup out of spite. i know for myself, i'm getting one! sure it's cheaper to run the tests manually, but having on demand results no matter where i may be at and being able to make adjustments via the dos, this is a winner all around for me.

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, maybe it's only me, but I almost never test for calc and mg, most dosing systems tell you to test alk and dose accordingly. That and the fact that you absolutely NEED an apex to run this is kind of boring. There are other KH monitors out there that aren't forcing you down their tech path. Calcium and magnesium testing are just gimmicks imo, so I don't weigh them heavily at all when really looking at this.

rbraunberger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the availability to use other reagents? I use AquaForest and would love to implement this to my already massive apex collection!!!

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you expect things to be backwards compatible though? It's no different than a lot of other electronics. The next generation GPU or RAM comes out and now your motherboard is outdated. I work in 12-volt electronics and it's the same thing. I recently had a customer who's old XM tuner went bad that was hooked to his old Alpine NAV touchscreen. None of the new tuners are compatible with the older touchscreen. So he had to purchase a new $800 Alpine touchscreen and new tuner just because his old $69 tuner went bad. If you want technology to keep pushing forward, then you sometimes need to let go of the old tech. Most people purchase a new $1000+ laptop every 5 years with no complaints. I don't see this being much different.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People asking, the "two months" is based around testing DKH 4x daily, Ca 2x daily and Mg 2x daily.

Stated precision:
0.05 DKH
10ppm Ca
10ppm Mg
This. I went to their "Champagne Breakfast" presentation today and this lines up with what they were saying. The presenter said there'd be no issue having it test less to have the supplies last longer.

It ONLY will work with the new one. They apologized profusely for this being the case and said that they try and support the old APEX whenever possible, but said it just wouldn't work with the Trident.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They literally just came out with the new apex a little over a year now and when releasing it they made it sound like they pride themselves on the fact that new products would work on the apex classic. So for it to only be a little over a year and we are already seeing products that wont be compatible is BS. Especially for people who bought the classic after the new ones came out thinking new products would work with it. I am a HUGE Neptune fan but this is really rubbing me the wrong way. $600 to test alk, calc, mag?? That is freaking awesome! That has to be the cheapest one out there. But only if you have the new apex. dang!

This is how companies force you to spend more money and fade out certain products. They are not the only ones who do it.

LIreefguy106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confirmed that 2016 models onward per another group who states the Neptune rep specifically mentioned this as part of the opening statements during the release

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it tied into their doser and would adjust dosing accordingly, then I could see an argument in getting one. But what calibration is required to keep this on track?

What extras are needed to keep it accurate and further more, test its accuracy long term.

Do you just take it on face value that its measurements are correct? Uh......

What if there's a glitch and it causes you to adjust your dosing based on what it says and you crash your tank?

Need to rethinking what your trusting. And it's "trust" is what your buying! Think about it.

Last edited:

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree with you,but the point automation of a system like this is consistency and automation.

Do you have the time/energy/effort to check those parameters multiple times and day?
I test almost every single day sometimes twice. And for 500$, can test them for me = worth it. I would still continue to do titration test if i did own the unit every so often. But it would be great to see what goes on in my reef. Maybe shut my doser off, or have some redundancy settings. Sometimes when i add a couple frags, the drop in parameters comes along. I would love to own a device like this, see some trends

MIReefer78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this seems like an awesome product. Seems weird it wouldn't actually control anything, just monitor, given the Neptune Sysrems is all about " control".

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this seems like an awesome product. Seems weird it wouldn't actually control anything, just monitor, given the Neptune Sysrems is all about " control".

Exactly, now you have me interested. Testing only......... not so much.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back