Neptune trident

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just asked on the Neptune forum if it's backwards compatible

Answer tbd
It's rip of time as it's only compatible with the latest unit so thegreat sales pitch of it's only $500-600 in reality is $1600 to test 3 things that only take 10 mins to test. Sorry I for 1 of many will not be buying.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone asked this in the announcement Q&A and, while Neptune isn't making it themselves, they kind of hinted that this is where they see it ending up.

Makes me think that there's a "module" purchase needed down the road to make this happen. A link between the Neptune and the DOS.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the classic not compatible being a problem. If you think about it, the 1st iPhone was what $500 and each version iPhone after had options that wasn't backwards compatible and was more expensive. Whenever the new version was coming out people would line up outside stores to buy them. Eventually you'll get to a point where engineering will stop designing features for an older unit because it will cost twice as much to write code for two different processors and they'll also lose the ability to sell their newer version. I know I'm going to get backlash form a lot of people but I do understand their position.
The solution is simple.

Sell the apex computer as a stand alone unit minus $124 for lab grade salinity, minus $39 for temp, minus $89 for lab grade PH and minus $249 for EB832.

Ad $50 back since you usually save a few bucks with a pckg and it's $349.

Offer a "light pckg" with EB832 and no probes for $550 for existing owners......Heck, limit the deal to owners registered in Apex fusion as existing owners for all I care....

You can already buy the EB832 stand alone.

Boom, problem solved for existing owners....

Everybody wins.

Just please don't force me to buy a bunch of duplicative stuff I already own or recently purchased....

Last edited by a moderator:

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solution is simple.

Sell the apex computer as a stand alone unit minus $124 for lab grade salinity, minus $39 for temp, minus $89 for lab grade PH and minus $249 for EB832.

Ad $50 back since you usually save a few bucks with a pckg and it's $349.

Offer a "light pckg" with EB832 and no probes for $550 for existing owners......Heck, limit the deal to owners registered in Apex fusion as existing owners for all I care....

You can already buy the EB832 stand alone.

Boom, problem solved for existing owners....

Everybody wins.

Just please don't force me to buy a bunch of duplicative **** I already own or recently purchased....

Apex is too money face to do this . Cannot be bothered with existing users

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask yourself this question. "If everything was backwards compatible on the classic, why would anyone buy The new version?" If your 1st generation iPhone had all the features of the latest or had the ability to run all the apps that the new one can run, why would you buy the new iPhone? Heck, I'd buy the older cheaper phone too! Whenever a new version of something comes out, eventually the older version is going to get obsolete or at least less efficient in completing newer tasks. The newer version is going to have features that's better than the old and that's to make you want to acquire it. That's just a fact in technology.
The newer radions have features the older doesn't. The newer kessils have features the older doesn't. Virtually every single piece of equipment that has a newer version have some feature the older version doesn't. That's just a fact of life. Personally, when I was in the market for the Neptune, I waited till the newer version came out and got that version because I knew eventually the older version will not be supported, just like windows 95 and older. You can expect that to happen at alot faster rate as technology seems to be changing a faster than several years ago too.

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is too money face to do this . Cannot be bothered with existing users
Sooner or later It should happen. Base computers were avail as a stand alone replacement unit for years for $200 just for the unit in a white box.

There have got to be a few 2016 owners out there who have already fried or gotten their core unit wet.....

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask yourself this question. "If everything was backwards compatible on the classic, why would anyone buy The new version?" If your 1st generation iPhone had all the features of the latest or had the ability to run all the apps that the new one can run, why would you buy the new iPhone? Heck, I'd buy the older cheaper phone too! Whenever a new version of something comes out, eventually the older version is going to get obsolete or at least less efficient in completing newer tasks. The newer version is going to have features that's better than the old and that's to make you want to acquire it. That's just a fact in technology.
The newer radions have features the older doesn't. The newer kessils have features the older doesn't. Virtually every single piece of equipment that has a newer version have some feature the older version doesn't. That's just a fact of life. Personally, when I was in the market for the Neptune, I waited till the newer version came out and got that version because I knew eventually the older version will not be supported, just like windows 95 and older. You can expect that to happen at alot faster rate as technology seems to be changing a faster than several years ago too.

Then he should offer trade in like apple . They allow trade in .

Gabaghoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love Newb73's idea but it may be a bit hard for the finance guys at Neptune to suck it up although I would appreciate some type of upgrade path when it is released. Maybe a Classic Trade-Up program if you are upgrading specifically to add the Trident to your existing Classic system.

It's definitely a game changer if they pull it off. Although I am thinking very hard about making the jump over to a calcium reactor. I would only get the Trident if I was sticking with dosing. The move to Ca RX would most definitely happen if I had to pay full price to upgrade the entire unit to the Trident.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Counter productive to argue about whether or not something should be backwards compatible in this case. It seems most of the anger here is regarding Neptune not being clear about WHY the classic Apex can't support this. Maybe there is a perfectly logical reason for why its only compatible with the new apex. If there isn't a reason, it's a bit of a cash grab for late adopters/last gen users.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do love Newb73's idea but it may be a bit hard for the finance guys at Neptune to suck it up although I would appreciate some type of upgrade path when it is released. Maybe a Classic Trade-Up program if you are upgrading specifically to add the Trident to your existing Classic system.

It's definitely a game changer if they pull it off. Although I am thinking very hard about making the jump over to a calcium reactor. I would only get the Trident if I was sticking with dosing. The move to Ca RX would most definitely happen if I had to pay full price to upgrade the entire unit to the Trident.
Plus I am getting ready to switch to continuous water changes. This unit wouldn't help me as I need to be testing and dosing the water in my mixing station AND my main display.

Might be easier to just make sure my 2.5 gallons per day are mixed up to Ca 475 and Alk of 10.0 and I could......maybe.

For now I still plan to dose directly to the dosplay tank while doing cont water changes so that I don't have to concentrate the levels so high and risk precipitation.

My issue with the 2016 is i already paid good money for 1link, PM2, lab grade salinity probe and extra EB8......but sure.....let me just pay for those exact same items twice over as my reward for being a power customer......

pmkinsella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the classic not compatible being a problem. If you think about it, the 1st iPhone was what $500 and each version iPhone after had options that wasn't backwards compatible and was more expensive. Whenever the new version was coming out people would line up outside stores to buy them. Eventually you'll get to a point where engineering will stop designing features for an older unit because it will cost twice as much to write code for two different processors and they'll also lose the ability to sell their newer version. I know I'm going to get backlash form a lot of people but I do understand their position.
The difference is that Apple didn't continue to sell and proactively market the old iPhone at the exact same minimum advertised price as it always was well after the new one was released. If Terence wants to make this right with the community, Neptune should come up with a trade in offer for Apex Classic owners with purchase dates after the 2016 model was released.

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow love this. Will buy it for sure!!!
Neptune we need camer also lolz. Make our life more fun watch tanks!!!!

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is from their website put out some time ago.

If you didn't buy the Gold your screwed.

IMG_2605.PNG

So is this a lie or unforeseen circumstances?

IMG_2604.PNG

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes me think that there's a "module" purchase needed down the road to make this happen. A link between the Neptune and the DOS.
There should be no need for any extra modules. The trident would report a value for an element and you as the user would program what to do with the results. Just like you do with programming a heater based off the temperature probe. The temp goes below 76.5 degrees and the heater turns on. Alk goes below a set value and the apex would do whatever you've programmed it to do. Send you an alert, increase the dose on one of the DOS heads, increase the effluent of the carx...

You also asked about calibration. Terrance has made it known in his build thread that he's been using the alk monitor for months on his own tank (I don't know for sure if it's the same as the triton). I believe he has said how often he calibrates it but I don't recall how often it is. I do remember that it's been pretty dead on every time he's calibrated it though.

Lastly, you asked about if it was to ever provide a false reading and dosed a larger amount than would be safe for the tank. I think this is a completely reasonable risk. My thought on this may be more wishful thinking but when they created the ATK they included algorithms that watch how long it allows water to flow and shuts it off if it opens longer than twice the normal amount of time. I doubt they will include any safety programming for it in this regard since it simply reports a value and it's up to the user to decide what to do with the information.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Neptune when designing this please allow us to set how much water we can dump from the lines to get a clean test. That way I dont have to set this ugly thing right next to my sump.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 104 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 54 29.8%
Back