Neptune trident

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are going to get this, where the heck would you place this thing? Does anyone have better pics so we can figure out?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always the same old talk. Im going to reaffirm what some already said: lots of people just done like Neptune and always only want to criticize. It doesnt mattter how cool things that come out are, they prefer to threaten they will be going elsewhere, GHL, Vertex...hilarious. Somehow they always stick around, compaining but never really go away.

When I heard of the KH monitor was in the works, and that neptune "would try to support the classic for as long as possible" I read between the lines and understood what Neptune was trying to say.
I stopped complaining, sold the classic and bought the new model. Here we are over a year from the new models launch and people still complaining wanting proof the old unit cannot support the new monitors.
Guess what, Neptune wont be giving you any proof, and you wont have the trident unless you get the new apex. Simple.
How did u get that out of anything anybody said? How am I an apex hater when I have everything they make besides the dos? So u upgraded congrats were u part of the people who upgraded and had there tank crash because they rushed the new controller to the market? Yes the new apex has been out for over a year but has been working properly for maby eight months.

And ur right when my apex now crashes I won't have the trident and they won't have anymore of my business. If U like being lied to and treated like a three year old by them that is the exact customer they want someone who believes them and keeps making them rich and believe every lie they tell us.

Jims alk monitor worked on a classic apex when he didn't have any support from apex so now with all the support from apex why Do we now need to get the new apex? U ever think about that? Prolly not but apex likes customers that when they say hey new equiptment they go out and buy it they say hey go spend another 800 dollars so U can monitor ur individual power usage and people go right out and buy it or most smart people who saw no benifit from this stayed with the classic and apex now has a store full of new Apex's that didn't fly off the shelves liked they hoped and need to get rid of them all. So what's a company to do release the "cheapest" monitor on the market but u have to buy an 800 dollar controller.

I don't like being lied to I don't like being tricked esp when I asked Terrance about buying the classic or the new one. if he came out and said buy the new one to me it's the better idea. But he didn't he didn't care what I bought as long as it was from Neptune. It has nothing to do about hating apex. But if they are willing to go back on there word now what makes you think they won't do it again in the future?

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys
I somewhat understand why people are upset. Everyone has invested in a piece of equipment that now does t support newer technology. There seems to be a couple options for ONLY the people that will be purchasing the trident
1. Buy a newer a version of apex
2. Look at a non/apex alk monitor
Seems relatively straightforward. Everyone needs to make a decision. A couple years from now the newer version may not support additional technology. Everyone going to have to make another decision then. This is called advancement. Every company does it.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a apex hater either.

I have 2 Wavs, a DOS, ALD, lunar stim, awm, wxm, two EB8s, ORP, PM2, 2 break out boxes, and plan to buy a Core and sooner or later might spring for FMM.

The only thing stopping me from buying a 3rd EB8 is the fact that I'll prob have to eventually buy this package and I'll get an EB832.

Prob should have waited on the $200 I have in PM2 and salinity monitor as well but was leery about being an early adopter as one of my Wavs failed just out of warranty, and I wanted a 2nd break out box.

Hater? Hardly.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did u get that out of anything anybody said? How am I an apex hater when I have everything they make besides the dos? So u upgraded congrats were u part of the people who upgraded and had there tank crash because they rushed the new controller to the market? Yes the new apex has been out for over a year but has been working properly for maby eight months.

And ur right when my apex now crashes I won't have the trident and they won't have anymore of my business. If U like being lied to and treated like a three year old by them that is the exact customer they want someone who believes them and keeps making them rich and believe every lie they tell us.

Jims alk monitor worked on a classic apex when he didn't have any support from apex so now with all the support from apex why Do we now need to get the new apex? U ever think about that? Prolly not but apex likes customers that when they say hey new equiptment they go out and buy it they say hey go spend another 800 dollars so U can monitor ur individual power usage and people go right out and buy it or most smart people who saw no benifit from this stayed with the classic and apex now has a store full of new Apex's that didn't fly off the shelves liked they hoped and need to get rid of them all. So what's a company to do release the "cheapest" monitor on the market but u have to buy an 800 dollar controller.

I don't like being lied to I don't like being tricked esp when I asked Terrance about buying the classic or the new one. if he came out and said buy the new one to me it's the better idea. But he didn't he didn't care what I bought as long as it was from Neptune. It has nothing to do about hating apex. But if they are willing to go back on there word now what makes you think they won't do it again in the future?

How did I get that from anything anyone said? Isnt that what you just wrote a book about here? How you will take your business elsewhere because you wont be supported? Lots of other people want to hear about the new product, more details and are excited, but have to instead read about some complaining how their old systems wont work and how they were lied to for over a year.

Just so we all can understand your point. You really thought Neptune came out with a new orange toy named "NEW APEX" just so they could give it a new look and allow power usage monitoring on the EB832, bundled a few probes, added in some old modules, charged people $800 while every new product coming out thereafter would still be fully supported by the old classic?

Yes I bought the new apex when it came out and had lots of issues. Had to replace it twice, It didnt crash my tank but it was a real pain. Guess what, they supported me the whole way. I ended up returning it, waited until they fixed the issues and bought it again. Its been running perfectly for a year now, and I love that thing. I could have bought the classic and blamed it on Terrance but I didnt

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did I get that from anything anyone said? Isnt that what you just wrote a book about here? How you will take your business elsewhere because you wont be supported? Lots of other people want to hear about the new product, more details and are excited, but have to instead read about some complaining how their old systems wont work and how they were lied to for over a year.

Just so we all can understand your point. You really thought Neptune came out with a new orange toy named "NEW APEX" just so they could give it a new look and allow power usage monitoring on the EB832, bundled a few probes, added in some old modules, charged people $800 while every new product coming out therefore would still be fully supported by the old classic?

Yes I bought the new apex when it came out and had issues. It didnt crash my tank but it was a real pain. Gues what, they supported me the whole way. I returned it, waited until they fixed the issues and bought it again. Its been running for a year perfectly, and I love that thing. I dint buy the classic and balmed it on Terrance
To be fair....they did in fact sell a new toy that was completely redundant with stuff I already owned......and THATS my complaint. Sell me the same thing I just paid for.

But you are looking at it wrong.

The 2016 wasn't marketed to existing owners...it was a better product for new customers who were just starting out.

It was decidedly NOT a good product for existing customers.

An upgrade piecemeal a la cart offering for existing customers would NOT be an unreasonable expectation.

If I want to upgrade my video card in my gaming PC, I don't have to buy a new motherboard, processor, ram, hd and water cooler...or case.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there are
They could release a "Trident upgrade pck" that included the bare bones 2016 comp bundled with a Trident for $900, with a big reminder that they highly recommend people to eventually add an EB832 if they want outlet monitoring later.

They save face, existing 2016 owners aren't mad, upgrade path established without being forced to buy redundant gear...and they sell truck loads of trident/2016 upgrades.

Everyone wins.
It runs off of a 1Link port, so you'll either need a 1link module, or the EB832..

MIReefer78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's real simple. Neptune Systems doesn't owe anyone anything. If you want this new gadget upgrade to the new system. The trident won't be out until Q2. That gives everyone almost a year to save their pennies. It's unreasonable to demand that every new product a company comes out with stays compatible with older products for ever. For those that bought the old Apex just before the new one came out, we'll that sucks. You are a victim of circumstance we've all been there. For those that bought the old unit in order to save a couple hundred bucks, well you knew what you were doing.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys
I somewhat understand why people are upset. Everyone has invested in a piece of equipment that now does t support newer technology. There seems to be a couple options for ONLY the people that will be purchasing the trident
1. Buy a newer a version of apex
2. Look at a non/apex alk monitor
Seems relatively straightforward. Everyone needs to make a decision. A couple years from now the newer version may not support additional technology. Everyone going to have to make another decision then. This is called advancement. Every company does it.
Agreed. Reminding everyone GHL's Alk monitor will only work on a PC...lol
So if you have IOS, save up for a nice PC if you want to run it

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's real simple. Neptune Systems doesn't owe anyone anything. If you want this new gadget upgrade to the new system. The trident won't be out until Q2. That gives everyone almost a year to save their pennies. It's unreasonable to demand that every new product a company comes out with stays compatible with older products for ever. For those that bought the old Apex just before the new one came out, we'll that sucks. You are a victim of circumstance we've all been there. For those that bought the old unit in order to save a couple hundred bucks, well you knew what you were doing.
NOT my complaint tbough......

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To end the nitpicking and to be fair, I wouldn't buy a yr 1 trident...maybe a late year 2 or 3.

By then I'll be fine buying a whole new unit (Probably be a buy cheaper with some diffetent packages as I suggested by then anyway).

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair....they did in fact sell a new toy that was completely redundant with stuff I already owned......and THATS my complaint. Sell me the same thing I just paid for.

But you are looking at it wrong.

The 2016 wasn't marketed to existing owners...it was a better product for new customers who were just starting out.

It was decidedly NOT a good product for existing customers.

An upgrade piecemeal a la cart offering for existing customers would NOT be an unreasonable expectation.

If I want to upgrade my video card in my gaming PC, I don't have to buy a new motherboard, processor, ram, hd and water cooler...or case.
I see validity in what you wrote, and can remember thinking the same thing when I heard of the new apex, being I had just gotten a classic.
I hated that I would be needing to buy basically the same things I already had. What made me bite the bullet and move on was the news of the Alk monitor around that same time. It was obvious to me Neptune would be wanting you to buy the new unit for that module latter on.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dido on the BS part, start saving now, need a lot of pennies to get this MoJo!!!!! I've got well over $800 in my classic and now it's not compatible, wow, talk about a big miss!

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing about all this is not everyone wants to or cares about the trident thing. You can buy the 2016 (to bring yourself into a somewhat "future proof" zone) get it up and running, them sell off your old equipment back to the local economy. I can promise you this, there are young reefers that can't afford to drop 500 in a single chunk and would look out for deals on local forums and CL looking at people breaking down their system and their modules. I can say that positively because that was me three years ago. I would hunt for good used deals and peice my equipment little by little when I had extra money. This in turn is you getting some of your money back, not all of it but it cleans up under the stand from having so many ugly modules and wires all crammed behind a board. Even now, I have the 2016 and am always looking for part outs. I got a DOS for free because it didnt work...all that was wrong was it needed a new power cable, I upgraded from the usb and power brick to a 1link and had a running dos for 20 bucks. If you want it, grab a straw and suck it up and upgrade. It's not a nessecery piece of equipment, your classic will still work fine without it. It's just a new toy that you WANT. I'm already looking at things to sell to offset the cost, I know my three testers will be on the chopping block come closer to time...

Last edited:

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone earlier hit the nail on the head when they posted that if there was nothing the new unit could do vs the classic, then why would anyone buy it? They still support the classic. It still does what everyone bought it for, they still update fusion for it and most of the new tech works on it.

Folks who own the old tech talk like they will have to trash their old units and pony up for the new toys. You can easily sell classic apex setups and offset a large portion of the cost to upgrade. If testing doesn't interest you or you rather keep using inexpensive test kits then do so and stop bashing. Don't need calcium and mag? Don't fee like upgrading your classic? Then buy one of the many other options that will be available and interface with your apex. Lets be civil and stop bashing Neptune for coming up with a revolutionary piece of tech. I love to read the great questions some folks are asking regarding this new unit, lets keep that trend going!

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regarding the earlier question about how it will interface with the DOS or CaRx. Well i think thats the beauty of the Apex programming. The possibilities are numerous. You can use this output to make your own changes (adjust your dosing or ph accordingly) and see real time the outcome of such changes. You could tell your Apex to dose a predetermined amount of 2part or Kalk to raise your parameters back to your desired range and if the adjustment was not enough it could repeat until it was. I think allowing too much automation could be dangerous and am completely content with the unit just reporting test results real time and offering some type of graph (which it looks like it does) to determine trends.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back