Neptune trident

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, but there a lot of guys and gals that love to put all the high tech stuff on their system. That's a big part of the fun for them. Personally, I wouldn't get and I do have the newest apex so I would have to replace the classic.

if I'm not personally in touch with my system on a daily basis, I would get L.A.R.S! and forget about what's needed to be done. Just me.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Apex Classic vs Apex 2016 and backward compatibility...
Neptune developed and released the Apex Classic several years ago. Hardware and memory have advanced significantly since then and they reached a point where they were limited by the hardware of the original system and released the Apex 2016. If you follow technology at all, this shouldn't be surprising. Apex continues to support the classic version of their controller and almost all their peripherals are compatible. The ATK was recently released and it is compatible. I believe the COR will be compatible as well.

I have a hard time understanding why people expect that every new peripheral that Neptune releases will be compatible. The entire reason for upgrading the controller was to allow the development of more advanced peripherals. Neptune has a financial interest in selling as many devices as possible - if they could, it would make more business sense to have the Trident compatible with the Apex Classic, since it would significantly expand their potential customer base over just the people who own an Apex 2016. If automated parameter testing is important to you (and this turns out not to be backwards compatible,) then you'll have to evaluate whether it's worth upgrading to a new system.

FWIW, I believe if you contact Neptune support you can purchase a 2016 brain separately, but don't hold me to that.

On the Trident...
It seems really cool, but I the numbers quoted in the video (testing Alk 4x/day, Ca & Mg 2x/day) seem excessive to me, too. Testing more often might be beneficial to see swings when you're trying to get your schedule fine tuned, but after that I could easily make a pack last close to a year - hopefully they reagents will last longer than 2 months. Then again, it would be really hard for me to justify $600 on this system. Given what's available and the fact that they're testing 3 parameters the price is not unreasonable, it's just not necessary for me. I suspect a lot of others are in the same boat, which is a potential problem for Neptune (and GHL and CoralVue, too.) They have to try to recoup their R&D costs on a product with a fairly limited market.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just been reading the discussion and I'm admittedly still old school, hands on reefer and most likely will be the rest of my life.

What still gets me is the back and forth over this "new" technology and how the "older" technology is keeping the" new " technology from the "older" technology users.

Crazy talk to me. It takes me no more than a few minutes of my day to do a alkalinity test, a few more for both calcium and magnesium. Track the results on my phone and move on with my life. It's been this way for me virtually since 1993. Easy, simple, cheap and effective.

Why would you spend an arm and a leg to do this? Has me placing hand to forehead and I consider myself a "control freak"!
I respect ur thought and I get it but to me I am not a good tester I test alk every night at ten ten calcium once a month and magnesium like twice a year cause that test stinks so for me the thought of taking the biggest factor (me ) out of the equation is great. Who knows if my 10 ml is ten ml every time or I mixed it right or I see the correct color change and if I knew I did everything exactly the same every time I wouldn't even consider an alk monitor. But I don't plus sometimes I'm not home to test my alk at night so that would be great to have I understand ur thoughts tho as it brings u closer to ur tank but to have that data at ur fingertips would just be amazing.

And on the technological stand point of it that people don't understand why we are mad Neptune lied to us and u guys are fine with it why? If they told us the truth I wouldn't be mad and would have bought the ugly new apex but they lied

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect ur thought and I get it but to me I am not a good tester I test alk every night at ten ten calcium once a month and magnesium like twice a year cause that test stinks so for me the thought of taking the biggest factor (me ) out of the equation is great. Who knows if my 10 ml is ten ml every time or I mixed it right or I see the correct color change and if I knew I did everything exactly the same every time I wouldn't even consider an alk monitor. But I don't plus sometimes I'm not home to test my alk at night so that would be great to have I understand ur thoughts tho as it brings u closer to ur tank but to have that data at ur fingertips would just be amazing.

And on the technological stand point of it that people don't understand why we are mad Neptune lied to us and u guys are fine with it why? If they told us the truth I wouldn't be mad and would have bought the ugly new apex but they lied

I'm sorry - I must have missed it. What exactly did they "lie" to you about?

I am curious as well. I sat in on Macna San Diego when the new system was discussed. Neptune made it very clear they would support the old system and make as many new products compatible as possible. I also recall Terence stating the processing power of the Apex 2016 would allow advancements in technology for future modules which may not work with the Apex Classic. Neptune did not mislead us in this.

From a business standpoint, Neptune stands to make more money if the Trident was compatible with the Apex Classic (or even stand alone like the COR) than by requiring the Apex 2016 to run it. If they did this to sell more Apex 2016 units, their strategy needs some work. However, if they are telling the truth and there is some technological reason why the Trident needs more computing power, they would benefit from saying so in advance, just as they have. It appears to me they are doing what they can to support everyone properly.

Now, I do have the Apex 2016, but only because I won it here on R2R. I wasn't planning on buying one as my Apex Classic worked great! Sadly, technology advances at a rate in which consumers stand to lose the most. This is yet another example of advancement. I would not have bought the Apex 2016 to run this toy, but I don't hold it against Neptune for requiring it.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why is this thread still filled with so much entitlement? It's obvious that Neptune would release 2016 Apex specific equipment as they moved farther along the development cycle. Did you guys that are complaining about no backwards compatibility think Neptune made the new version of the controller just so it could look different?

Let me restate that I believe Neptune should make their products compatible for both the classic and the 2016 model when possible. However, if there is a limiting factor in the classic version that prevents the Trident from functioning, there should be no complaining about how Neptune betrayed/lied/misled you by not supporting a legacy system indefinitely.

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought neptune said they were going to keep new things classic compatible. I will not buy and when my apex stops working I will seriously think about changing brands because of it
AGREED! I CALL BS. so much for buying this for future updates. More like BS.
Heres a new model. Buy it or get screwed. Oh ya that model we sold you just 2 years ago is now obsolete. So much for investment.

Coming from a software backround. I know they could make this backward compatible. Sounds like a refusal.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know man... coming from a software background you should know that business is about upgrading and then charging customers to access those upgraded features. That is literally the bread and butter of software development. So much so that large companies are moving away from "owning" software all together and instead charging a monthly or annual fee for access.

Maybe you guys would rather Neptune go that route and instead of selling you an 800$ controller and 500$ Trident you can just pay 80$ a month and always have an upgraded and current piece of equipment. :rolleyes:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know man... coming from a software background you should know that business is about upgrading and then charging customers to access those upgraded features. That is literally the bread and butter of software development. So much so that large companies are moving away from "owning" software all together and instead charging a monthly or annual fee for access.

Maybe you guys would rather Neptune go that route and instead of selling you an 800$ controller and 500$ Trident you can just pay 80$ a month and always have an upgraded and current piece of equipment. :rolleyes:

Oh good lord! Turn them into a cable company! They can come by the house, install the equipment and when you are done paying that high monthly fee, they come back to your house and collect their gear in the Neptune van! I can see it now......lol

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys get over it, the Trident is the coolest thing to come out in YEARS. That will take away so many variables, keeping corals will be so much closer to success to so many people. Say goodbye to boring color changing, drop counting tests that expire, and give you false readings.

This darn Trident will give you 0.05 dkh accuracy margin, 10ppm Ca and Mg. You can test it 4-5-10 times or once a day if you want to. Dosing pumps stuck on the ON position can now be turned off with this thing. Kalk overdosing and killing everything can also be avoided. This is crazy cool to say the least.

Other companies will soon jump in and also launch their versions of similar testing, im sure. Just look at how many alk testing units came out since 2016! This trident will sell insane amounts. Customers going away is a concern of Salifert these days, not Neptune as some here might think

Last edited:

mibwb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where has everyone been? ever hear the saying "everything is obsolete in 6 months to a year...welcome to the throw-away times"

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I'm not personally in touch with my system on a daily basis, I would get L.A.R.S! and forget about what's needed to be done. Just me.
I'm not sure what L.A.R.S mean but I hear you. But if I understand you, with all this automation, we might as well buy a UHD TV and just buy a reef screen saver and be done with it. No more cleaning, testing, feeding, etc. it's the ultimate controller! LOL

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what L.A.R.S mean but I hear you. But if I understand you, with all this automation, we might as well buy a UHD TV and just buy a reef screen saver and be done with it. No more cleaning, testing, feeding, etc. it's the ultimate controller! LOL

No, as reefers we enjoy the torcher of the reality that if something could go wrong it will. We'd screw that up too and find a way to burn the house down with it.

alanjeffery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in for this, bundle 2016 Base unit and Trident for a deal, good excuse to upgrade from classic brain but keep as spare/back up.
Coralvue, GHL, Focustronic just made redundant if Trident works and is accurate and priced as described. ALK monitor/control only just a third of the solution, Neptune whooped yo butt. Great work Neptune, and glad to see its not totally orange! Roll on Q2 2018

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U know what I get that sometimes u have to buy newer technology I get that but man how people forget Jims protype from last year worked on the apex classic by connecting into the ph port so why now do we need a new apex? Because of calcium and magnesium? Because of greed? Because the 500 dollars is a wow that is cheaper then anything on the market but in reality now cost me a loyal customer more then kh Gaurdian? In mr saltwater tanks video about the trident Terrance said that this can't be a 1000 dollar piece of equiptment it needs to be cheaper we'll guess what Terrance for a person that already has an apex classic it's a 1400 dollar piece of equiptment so thank you for making the trident cheaper then anything on the market because if it was any more expensive it be a 2000 dollar monitor. Please don't mock coravue in the video saying that they are to expensive and the price should be lower when in fact when it comes down to it the trident is now 400 dollars more then the alk monitors on the market.

I was told much like others that my new apex classic would be fine for the foreseeable future by Terrance himself while he had Jims alk monitor on his tank which I did ask about and he said everything we are currently working on (he didn't say specifically the alk monitor but it was on his tank so I thought was currently being worked on) will be backward compliment.

I have everything but the dos and ddr from apex so a good customer in there eyes u would think but depending on what way they go for existing apex classic owners will dictate what brand I will buy next. If Neptune handles this wrong I guarantee there will be a lot more ghl users out there me being one of them.

Apex claim to fame is be a control freak. Well Neptune u are in control right now and if ur willing to loose a bunch of ur loyal customers over five hundred dollars because u think we will all just upgrade to the new apex cause we're made of money I would rather control my tank with a GHL.

I hope neptune does the right thing and takes care of there old customers unlike so many companies in the world right now.

I enjoy my apex I love everything about it but as of recently it seems they are trying to make me rethink that thought.

Justin

To add to this, I just don't see the need to test constantly for Cal n Mag...but that's me

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is this thread still filled with so much entitlement? It's obvious that Neptune would release 2016 Apex specific equipment as they moved farther along the development cycle. Did you guys that are complaining about no backwards compatibility think Neptune made the new version of the controller just so it could look different?

Let me restate that I believe Neptune should make their products compatible for both the classic and the 2016 model when possible. However, if there is a limiting factor in the classic version that prevents the Trident from functioning, there should be no complaining about how Neptune betrayed/lied/misled you by not supporting a legacy system indefinitely.
Not the complaint dude.

The complaint is I don't need a new set of probes or an EB832 at the moment.

I need a main brain....and actually I'll need two main brains as I refuse to run an apex without a back up brain in my supply cabinet.

My complaint is: Sell me the gear I need, don't force me to buy gear I already own.

What's your suggestion?

Spend $1,600 on two apex units an then end up with a closet full of probes, 3 salinity monitors an extra pm2 and two eb8s?

Rip all that crap out and sell used stuff for peanuts?

Maybe just sell all the new probes and extra 3b832 on the forums at a loss?

Yea ok......i could do all that (And may just have to).

Or....they can sell me a main brain for $350...sell me a back up main brain for $350 in a couple months....and the next time I need more outlets (it's gonna happen eventually cause I'm using 16...athough the 1links are keeping me right on the edge as I can use those ports instead).... I'll pick up an E832

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 6.3%
Back