Neptune trident

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there are

It runs off of a 1Link port, so you'll either need a 1link module, or the EB832..

Over on the Apex forum, someone credible stated it can run off 1link (comm and power), or can run through aquabus (comm) and external 24vDC power supply (power). So there is still hope!

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing about all this is not everyone wants to or cares about the trident thing. You can buy the 2016 (to bring yourself into a somewhat "future proof" zone) get it up and running, them sell off your old equipment back to the local economy. I can promise you this, there are young reefers that can't afford to drop 500 in a single chunk and would look out for deals on local forums and CL looking at people breaking down their system and their modules. I can say that positively because that was me three years ago. I would hunt for good used deals and peice my equipment little by little when I had extra money. This in turn is you getting some of your money back, not all of it but it cleans up under the stand from having so many ugly modules and wires all crammed behind a board. Even now, I have the 2016 and am always looking for part outs. I got a DOS for free because it didnt work...all that was wrong was it needed a new power cable, I upgraded from the usb and power brick to a 1link and had a running dos for 20 bucks. If you want it, grab a straw and suck it up and upgrade. It's not a nessecery piece of equipment, your classic will still work fine without it. It's just a new toy that you WANT. I'm already looking at things to sell to offset the cost, I know my three testers will be on the chopping block come closer to time...
Evey since the great Lightning strike of 15 blew my main brain I've learned to always keep 2 units on hand.

Yet another reason I can't buy a 2016 until they offer the option to buy JUST a brain.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They or somone will make an adapter

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there saying the reagent is basically 40$ a test? As it takes almost takes a full reagent on each test? Nice but I'll do 3 test over $$$$$ for AIO

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after the macna vid my mr. Looks solid. Just not 600$ worth.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there saying the reagent is basically 40$ a test? As it takes almost takes a full reagent on each test? Nice but I'll do 3 test over $$$$$ for AIO

Huh?

Video above says testing alk four times a day and cal/mag twice a day (which is crazy) the bottles will last one month. A "two month reagent kit" (so double that) will be $40. Basically it's $20 a month testing 4x/2x/2x per day.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and you dont need to test taht many times a day if you dont want to, basically stretching it out to i think they said 3 months if you test like one a day, but come on....id test like every other day to make it last for almost 5 months LOL

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised by how cheap the reagent was and how long it could last even at the 4x/2x/2x testing. Terrence bragging several times about the price point of the Trident though irked me as that does not include the cost of buying the new apex, which puts it over $1300.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who the heck actually checks their alk 2 to 3 times a day today? I'd would really like to meet you! Why would you check it that often? I'd be lying if I said i check mine 2 times a week religiously. It's almost always the same 8.5 dkh. My dosing pump is dialed in and the alk is very stable. I typically check mid week after a water change and that's pretty much to make sure my fresh mix is good.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who the heck actually checks their alk 2 to 3 times a day today? I'd would really like to meet you! Why would you check it that often? I'd be lying if I said i check mine 2 times a week religiously. It's almost always the same 8.5 dkh. My dosing pump is dialed in and the alk is very stable. I typically check mid week after a water change and that's pretty much to make sure my fresh mix is good.
Exactly.

Once a day tops.

Reagent would last me a while....

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just been reading the discussion and I'm admittedly still old school, hands on reefer and most likely will be the rest of my life.

What still gets me is the back and forth over this "new" technology and how the "older" technology is keeping the" new " technology from the "older" technology users.

Crazy talk to me. It takes me no more than a few minutes of my day to do a alkalinity test, a few more for both calcium and magnesium. Track the results on my phone and move on with my life. It's been this way for me virtually since 1993. Easy, simple, cheap and effective.

Why would you spend an arm and a leg to do this? Has me placing hand to forehead and I consider myself a "control freak"!

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you expect things to be backwards compatible though? It's no different than a lot of other electronics. The next generation GPU or RAM comes out and now your motherboard is outdated. I work in 12-volt electronics and it's the same thing. I recently had a customer who's old XM tuner went bad that was hooked to his old Alpine NAV touchscreen. None of the new tuners are compatible with the older touchscreen. So he had to purchase a new $800 Alpine touchscreen and new tuner just because his old $69 tuner went bad. If you want technology to keep pushing forward, then you sometimes need to let go of the old tech. Most people purchase a new $1000+ laptop every 5 years with no complaints. I don't see this being much different.

Totally Agree!!!! I work in the IT field, and there is a segment of the population that won't let go of the computers that they own, and will use it until they basically smoke.
Then they don't understand why software stops working after 4-5 years.... I started on Apex Classic in 2012. It's been around for a while now. I took a break from this hobby for 3 years. Recently setup a new Red Sea Reefer 250, and quickly bought back into the Apex World. Of course I opted to spend an extra 250 bucks to get newest 2016 technology. Why? Software and future upgrades.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also If I can some how fit this under my sump, or in m system, Ill buy it sight unseen. The Graphing of your stats over time is such a valuable asset to reefing amongst one Apex Tools....

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just been reading the discussion and I'm admittedly still old school, hands on reefer and most likely will be the rest of my life.

What still gets me is the back and forth over this "new" technology and how the "older" technology is keeping the" new " technology from the "older" technology users.

Crazy talk to me. It takes me no more than a few minutes of my day to do a alkalinity test, a few more for both calcium and magnesium. Track the results on my phone and move on with my life. It's been this way for me virtually since 1993. Easy, simple, cheap and effective.

Why would you spend an arm and a leg to do this? Has me placing hand to forehead and I consider myself a "control freak"!
I agree with you, but there a lot of guys and gals that love to put all the high tech stuff on their system. That's a big part of the fun for them. Personally, I wouldn't get and I do have the newest apex so I would have to replace the classic.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back