Neptune trident

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested to know why it won't work with the previous generation Apex. It's not been long since the new one was released and you wouldn't think that there would be any reason for it not being technically able to work, other than Neptune deciding to try and force people to upgrade without offering an upgrade path.

Again, I'd be very interested but I won't upgrade to the new Apex just to be able to use this - I'd be more inclined to go with GHL instead.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation, if the system is using accurate dosing pumps for the triton test, and you are running the test every couple to few days, then you would think the actual test being done is using water from the line for several days ago. I wonder if the system purges the line before running the test.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested to know why it won't work with the previous generation Apex. It's not been long since the new one was released and you wouldn't think that there would be any reason for it not being technically able to work, other than Neptune deciding to try and force people to upgrade without offering an upgrade path.

Again, I'd be very interested but I won't upgrade to the new Apex just to be able to use this - I'd be more inclined to go with GHL instead.
GHL are they good guys they would never do something like this.

Royal_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solution is simple.

Sell the apex computer as a stand alone unit minus $124 for lab grade salinity, minus $39 for temp, minus $89 for lab grade PH and minus $249 for EB832.

Ad $50 back since you usually save a few bucks with a pckg and it's $349.

Offer a "light pckg" with EB832 and no probes for $550 for existing owners......Heck, limit the deal to owners registered in Apex fusion as existing owners for all I care....

You can already buy the EB832 stand alone.

Boom, problem solved for existing owners....

Everybody wins.

Just please don't force me to buy a bunch of duplicative **** I already own or recently purchased....

I couldn't have said it better myself. I still don't understand why this hasn't been an option? Neptune should've already considered this and I'm sure the profits are there for them to make money.

I honestly don't get why the apex computer isn't sold separately or like you said a "Light package" I would have no problem investing into a apex computer if sold separately.

Even tho I already have the latest 2016 model. I've been thinking about getting another one for a different system for my office tank. I just can't justify another $800 investment when I already have additional probes, modules and EB832.

smh254

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with it is. I purchased mine last year with no idea the new one was coming out. I've got a $1000 into this and it's under 2 years old. Apple lets you know that they have a new product coming out.

LIreefguy106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is from their website put out some time ago.

If you didn't buy the Gold your screwed.

IMG_2605.PNG

So is this a lie or unforeseen circumstances?

IMG_2604.PNG

Ha, ironic that we're comparing them to Apple and they're comparing themselves to Apple.

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you sell the classic, it should include th classic. This is revolutionary but in order to take advantage of it you have to buy the new controller. That is a rip off.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree if they offer a way for the classic apex users to trade in and get a discount on the new unit, everyone will be happy.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Appearently its because the Trident requires a faster processor and the new Apex offers that. I call BS. This trident is an ABSOLUTE game changer and they know EVERYONE wants one. I really find it hard to believe they couldnt make it work with the processor on the classic. Its just a way to phase the classic out.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't have said it better myself. I still don't understand why this hasn't been an option? Neptune should've already considered this and I'm sure the profits are there for them to make money.

I honestly don't get why the apex computer isn't sold separately or like you said a "Light package" I would have no problem investing into a apex computer if sold separately.

Even tho I already have the latest 2016 model. I've been thinking about getting another one for a different system for my office tank. I just can't justify another $800 investment when I already have additional probes, modules and EB832.

Really hope this ends up being an option. If users are able to just buy the 2016 base unit, then classic users can just swap out the brain of their system, or it would still be cost effective to buy a brain just to run the Trident if you don't trust the 2016 brain to run your whole system. I think we really need to push for this, this is a reasonable request. I'm not asking for a trade in program, money off, etc. I'm just asking for the opportunity to buy the new 2016 unit at retail price without the extras I already have from my old system. In time, I would then replace my EB8s with EB832s, etc.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appearently its because the Trident requires a faster processor and the new Apex offers that. I call BS. This trident is an ABSOLUTE game changer and they know EVERYONE wants one. I really find it hard to believe they couldnt make it work with the processor on the classic. Its just a way to phase the classic out.
If so, You could easily put a boost chip in to bridge the gap with one of their $120 modules.

"ACM" module. "ALK, Ca, Mg.

Would still much prefer a bare bones buy up program for existing owners than another redundant module.

The problem is....doing what I suggested would really tick off existing 2016 owners.

I think I have a solution that would still make everyone happy.

Terrence said the trident would be "$500 to 600".

They could release a "Trident upgrade pck" that included the bare bones 2016 comp bundled with a Trident for $900, with a big reminder that they highly recommend people to eventually add an EB832 if they want outlet monitoring later.

They save face, existing 2016 owners aren't mad, upgrade path established without being forced to buy redundant gear...and they sell truck loads of trident/2016 upgrades.

Everyone wins.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk programming.

I would not program my doser to go all AI on me and manage the levels itself. .

I would prob run a daily alk, every other day Ca and once a wk mag.

If we get the test results as APEX program variables.....

I would then write my program that triggers the following if the tests are out of my preset parameters.

Run a repeat test after an hour, then a repeat test an hour later again.

Email/text me the results of the 3 out of spec tests.

Nothing more.

I would then decide for myself what to do with the dosing schedule and if I need to verify the results with a separate test before changing the program.

At least at first.

Later on...would be nice if the system could be programmed to enter the value of the average of 3 as the input reading for the DOS and proceed accordingly.

Noe THAT..i might run...

To make it even better, program it to exclude outlier results more than 2 standard deviations from the series.

Example.

Alk Test one: 5.4. Test two: 8.1. Test three: 8.4.

Logic completly ignores the 5.4 result as an aberration......holds the 8.1 and 8.4 results as data, waits for a third result of 8.4 again and then puts in the average of 8.3 in as the DOS result.

And there is how you eliminate the risks.

You could actually program it so that the series finished up right as you get up in the morning or get home from work so no waiting around is required...it sends you your report as you are getting your cereal or walking in the door!

To save titration fluid, results within you preset parameters are not repeated.

You could then modify your programming on the DOS based on 3 day averages.

Last edited:

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation, if the system is using accurate dosing pumps for the triton test, and you are running the test every couple to few days, then you would think the actual test being done is using water from the line for several days ago. I wonder if the system purges the line before running the test.

Let's hope there smart enough to purge lines first

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always the same old talk. Im going to reaffirm what some already said: lots of people just done like Neptune and always only want to criticize. It doesnt mattter how cool things that come out are, they prefer to threaten they will be going elsewhere, GHL, Vertex...hilarious. Somehow they always stick around, compaining but never really go away.

When I heard of the KH monitor was in the works, and that neptune "would try to support the classic for as long as possible" I read between the lines and understood what Neptune was trying to say.
I stopped complaining, sold the classic and bought the new model. Here we are over a year from the new models launch and people still complaining wanting proof the old unit cannot support the new monitors.
Guess what, Neptune wont be giving you any proof, and you wont have the trident unless you get the new apex. Simple.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always the same old talk. Im going to reaffirm what some already said: lots of people just done like Neptune and always only want to criticize. It doesnt mattter how cool things that come out are, they prefer to threaten they will be going elsewhere, GHL, Vertex...hilarious. Somehow they always stick around, compaining but never really go away.

When I heard of the KH monitor was in the works, and that neptune "would try to support the classic for as long as possible" I read between the lines and understood what Neptune was trying to say.
I stopped complaining, sold the classic and bought the new model. Here we are over a year from the new models launch and people still complaining wanting proof the old unit cannot support the new monitors.
Guess what, Neptune wont be giving you any proof, and you wont have the trident unless you get the new apex. Simple.
But it's not that simple.

What IS simple is this. Money is king.

Provide me an upgrade path that makes sense financially and I'll buy in.

Don't and I'm perfectly happy with the kits I've used for years

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been doing everything for the classic and the new apex. Its Not a good news if it will not work with the classic. What a nice way to make people buy the new Apex. They know everybody is been waiting for this for a long time. Way to go Apex! I guess I will not have this Item then. :(

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U know what I get that sometimes u have to buy newer technology I get that but man how people forget Jims protype from last year worked on the apex classic by connecting into the ph port so why now do we need a new apex? Because of calcium and magnesium? Because of greed? Because the 500 dollars is a wow that is cheaper then anything on the market but in reality now cost me a loyal customer more then kh Gaurdian? In mr saltwater tanks video about the trident Terrance said that this can't be a 1000 dollar piece of equiptment it needs to be cheaper we'll guess what Terrance for a person that already has an apex classic it's a 1400 dollar piece of equiptment so thank you for making the trident cheaper then anything on the market because if it was any more expensive it be a 2000 dollar monitor. Please don't mock coravue in the video saying that they are to expensive and the price should be lower when in fact when it comes down to it the trident is now 400 dollars more then the alk monitors on the market.

I was told much like others that my new apex classic would be fine for the foreseeable future by Terrance himself while he had Jims alk monitor on his tank which I did ask about and he said everything we are currently working on (he didn't say specifically the alk monitor but it was on his tank so I thought was currently being worked on) will be backward compliment.

I have everything but the dos and ddr from apex so a good customer in there eyes u would think but depending on what way they go for existing apex classic owners will dictate what brand I will buy next. If Neptune handles this wrong I guarantee there will be a lot more ghl users out there me being one of them.

Apex claim to fame is be a control freak. Well Neptune u are in control right now and if ur willing to loose a bunch of ur loyal customers over five hundred dollars because u think we will all just upgrade to the new apex cause we're made of money I would rather control my tank with a GHL.

I hope neptune does the right thing and takes care of there old customers unlike so many companies in the world right now.

I enjoy my apex I love everything about it but as of recently it seems they are trying to make me rethink that thought.

Justin

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it's not that simple.

What IS simple is this. Money is king.

Provide me an upgrade path that makes sense financially and I'll buy in.

Don't and I'm perfectly happy with the kits I've used for years
It is simple. The company moved on from the old model, and they sell controllers. Money is king.

Innovation makes people want things and spend money. We wont reinvent the wheel trying to teach Neptune business and what they should do or not threatning to go to competition. The trident is not a must have for some and they will be happy with their classics. Full sps guys like myself that have lost $$$ corals due to alk swings and want monitoring will find justifiable the investment. There are no rights or wrongs, it is an just an option.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back