Nero 5

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the pump ?
I wanted an mp10 but can’t afford it at the moment but I can get an Nero 5 are this pump good do anyone have experience with it it’s going to a 25 gallon lagoon

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the pump ?
I wanted an mp10 but can’t afford it at the moment but I can get an Nero 5 are this pump good do anyone have experience with it it’s going to a 25 gallon lagoon
I heard there coming out with a Nero 3 I’m waiting for that . The only thing I don’t like about the ecotech pumps there stuck in one position

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into gyres? For your shape tank I think it’ll work much better. I have a low 40g frag tank and the Icecap 1k is able to run down the length of the tank and come back. I only run it at 10% and it gives great movement.

Nero 5 is a great pump though. I have 2 of them in my 120 and that’s all the flow I need.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nero 5 on my 14 gallon cube, and I love it. That thing can move a LOT of water. In fact, when you upgrade the firmware the first time you connect to your mobile phone app, it puts it into high gear (please change this AI). Moved quite a bit of water over the side of my tank before I pulled the plug. While that isn't desirable, its efficiency and ease of cleaning (especially this) is very the best. While my traditional powerheads would loose throughput as they got dirty, that has not appeared to be the case with this one.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will go for the Nero 5
been looking for a used mp10 but never found one used on reef 2 reef they sell fast lol hopefully this pumps lasts me

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 2 Nero 5’s and they are great. With a smaller tank I hardly have to turn them
Up. Consider a guard for smaller fish. I had it suck in a sick smaller yellow tang. Look into the new Red Sea reef flow 25 too, that would give you nice wide flow I like them would maybe do 2 of those instead of my nero’s if they where out then.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea pump is nice but right now money is tight and I heard of Nero wire on the pump come off that's what scares me

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol now I am debating on the cross flow and ask for a small loan lol

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store where I work lends me money sometimes And can pay in payments every check no interest lol

jrock flimflam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading through the forum to get ideas to get rid of my junk nero 5s.
Biggest issue is the blutooth connection to their app stinks. Reached out to AI more than once. Unplug and replug and try again. Now I have one that wont connect period. Less than a year old. ..and like mentioned about you really need a gaurd which AI does not make. There are after market ones. ...and yes they tilt but not by much. If you tilt alot they dont have enough magnet contact and will fall. I have been very dissapointed.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading through the forum to get ideas to get rid of my junk nero 5s.
Biggest issue is the blutooth connection to their app stinks. Reached out to AI more than once. Unplug and replug and try again. Now I have one that wont connect period. Less than a year old. ..and like mentioned about you really need a gaurd which AI does not make. There are after market ones. ...and yes they tilt but not by much. If you tilt alot they dont have enough magnet contact and will fall. I have been very dissapointed.
The Nero 5's come with a guard now by default, no aftermarket needed. As for the tilting, you knew that when you got it, I feel like knocking a product for a feature you knew it didn't have before you even purchased it is kind of silly.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm
So I got the money for mp10 or mp40 or a Red Sea choosing a pump is very hard o have mp40 in my bigger tank but idk if
it will work the same in the 25 gallon

479378E6-A2F3-43F5-9DD6-2A52BD946221.jpeg

Last edited:

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm
So I got the money for mp10 or mp40 or a Red Sea choosing a pump is very hard o have mp40 in my bigger tank but idk if
it will work the same in the 25 gallon

479378E6-A2F3-43F5-9DD6-2A52BD946221.jpeg
Mp40 in a 25 gallon is extremely overkill. Mp10 is great, can't speak for the red sea as I've never used them. Never been unsatisfied with anything regarding the MP10, had a seized wet side, ecotech helped me out no problem and overnighted another wetside to me with a cross ship.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I own pair of MP40s those things are beasts but aren’t available at the moment in bulk reef supply -.-

jrock flimflam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nero 5's come with a guard now by default, no aftermarket needed. As for the tilting, you knew that when you got it, I feel like knocking a product for a feature you knew it didn't have before you even purchased it is kind of silly.
I am glad to hear AI started selling with gaurds, since they their own Reps at Reefapolooza last year knew about the issue from several customers at the show but stated they doubted they would do anything about it since gaurds could be 3d printed. Glad they took the customer feedback and added one.
I am also very glad to have found someone with such impressive clarvoyance to know what I knew or didnt know. I always thought I was so thick headed no one clould read my mind. With this extremely special talent would you please tell me why I bought my yellow tang knowing it had a small chance of being a bully to smaller fish??!! It has started tail flipping at a few and well, you knew that right?....... nevermind, I love my tang anyway.
As for my knowing the Nero would fall off the magnet when tilted I will say that must have been my misunderstanding of the AI website stating it has a "LARGE RANGE OF MOVEMENT". To me large would be 30-45 degrees . Mine seem to want to recenter themselves, and fall off if I tilt only 15-20%.
Only if I too had clarvoyancy I may of known what they were specifically thinking with their statement.
But nevertheless, since this forum is to help each by sharing ideas, lessons, experiences, etc.. and not for using our supernatural abilities to to chastize others for not knowing what one may think they should already know I will close my response with this:
I hope others take my experiences with my Neros with a grain of salt as with anyones elses reviews, but I would stress to anoyone considering the Nero my major point of dislike I focused on was the poor bluetooth connection to the software which I have had more than one tech ticket with them on.
I hope like the gaurds AI considers the feedback from customers and change to a wifi connection.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to hear AI started selling with gaurds, since they their own Reps at Reefapolooza last year knew about the issue from several customers at the show but stated they doubted they would do anything about it since gaurds could be 3d printed. Glad they took the customer feedback and added one.
I am also very glad to have found someone with such impressive clarvoyance to know what I knew or didnt know. I always thought I was so thick headed no one clould read my mind. With this extremely special talent would you please tell me why I bought my yellow tang knowing it had a small chance of being a bully to smaller fish??!! It has started tail flipping at a few and well, you knew that right?....... nevermind, I love my tang anyway.
As for my knowing the Nero would fall off the magnet when tilted I will say that must have been my misunderstanding of the AI website stating it has a "LARGE RANGE OF MOVEMENT". To me large would be 30-45 degrees . Mine seem to want to recenter themselves, and fall off if I tilt only 15-20%.
Only if I too had clarvoyancy I may of known what they were specifically thinking with their statement.
But nevertheless, since this forum is to help each by sharing ideas, lessons, experiences, etc.. and not for using our supernatural abilities to to chastize others for not knowing what one may think they should already know I will close my response with this:
I hope others take my experiences with my Neros with a grain of salt as with anyones elses reviews, but I would stress to anoyone considering the Nero my major point of dislike I focused on was the poor bluetooth connection to the software which I have had more than one tech ticket with them on.
I hope like the gaurds AI considers the feedback from customers and change to a wifi connection.

Could've sold it/refund instead of angrily complaining on forum but hey! That's life.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other items near the nero’s that could cause interference? BT can get scrambled by any other outside signal like being close to a router or even using your microwave. I had spotty connection with 1 of my two pumps and a SW update fixed that and no issues in last 6 months and I go into the app for feed mode daily. For your tank I would go with the Red Sea. You talk about pointing the nero’s as a dislike but the mp’s you can really point at all. The nero’s by comparison can angle a lot. The RS gyres can be Individually directed

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a great little pump for me. I like the app a lot. Range of motion could be better but obviously the design to be low profile hinders that. My issue was the magnet but, over time, you get a feel for how to mount it

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a Jebao slw-20 or slw-30. Save more than $100. Pretty much the same design as the Nero but already has a better design to prevent small fish/inverts from getting sucked in.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back