Nero5 tunze 6105 or mp40

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all.
I have been doing tons of research and can’t pick between the tunze, vortech or ai for my powerheads. I had decided very early to use the mp40 but now that I can’t find it anywhere along with the g5 lights I have begun to rethink things for my 120(4x2x2).
what u know so far:

1. Nero5 had a lot of problems with magnet and fish being sucked in but both issues have been resolved. But still has cord in tank
2. Tunze is very quiet but has the cord in the tank but is also very very reliable.
3. Mp40 is pretty much gold standard but it’s not avail.

So my needs:
1. I def wanna do a mixed sps/lps /softie tank.
2. I have decided to get the apex but might reconsider if I buy all ecotech mobius equipment.
3. Side question. If I do buy apex but can’t use the lights, return or power head (due to mobius). Is there even a point at getting apex?
4. It will be in my living room so noise level is important as well

so confused right now lol. Money isn’t the biggest issue here but don’t wanna waste it either. I think I’ll be sticking to 2 powerheads.

can you guys with experience and especially those with recent nero5 purchases give us all your experience and even opinions.

Much love,
Reefacist

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a nero pump, but I have had tunze and Vortech pumps! They were both great but I’m running a total of four Vortech pumps including two mp40’s, mp10 and vectra m2 love them as you can tell. Such a nice look as well and completely controllable.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had MP40s but now prefer the Nero pumps. Better app, lower profile and half the price. They move water just as well.

I also find the cord less intrusive to the eye than the giant half soda can motor mounts sticking out off the sides of my tank.

The only application that would have me purchase Vortechs again would be a tank large enough to require the MP60’s.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a nero pump, but I have had tunze and Vortech pumps! They were both great but I’m running a total of four Vortech pumps including two mp40’s, mp10 and vectra m2 love them as you can tell. Such a nice look as well and completely controllable.
Thanks. Ya wanted to keep it all ecotech as well for simplicity and control but they are not avail until probably late August. If I wait that long then I may just get the vortechs. Thanks for your input

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had MP40s but now prefer the Nero pumps. Better app, lower profile and half the price. They move water just as well.

I also find the cord less intrusive to the eye than the giant half soda can motor mounts sticking out off the sides of my tank.

The only application that would have me purchase Vortechs again would be a tank large enough to require the MP60’s.
Ya honestly since it’s my first tank I haven’t really seen them in person but this past Sunday I went to one of our lfs and they were pretty much using mp40s on almost all their tanks. I am sure it does an awesome job but I was shocked to see the size of the dry side. Interesting that no one really talks about that as a con for the vortechs. Everyone bashes on nero and tunze for wires but no one talks about having like you said a soda can sticking out of your tank. With that said I think I am still on the mp40 band wagon but I do like the nero and am really considering the switch. How many do you run on your tank and what size is it?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Nero’s but had to get rid of them due to not working on 3/4 inch glass at all. If you plan on upgrading to anything with thicker glass I would go with MP40’s

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Nero’s but had to get rid of them due to not working on 3/4 inch glass at all. If you plan on upgrading to anything with thicker glass I would go with MP40’s
You think so? Even with the new magnets? I mean they do say 1/2in in their product description but maybe they’ll release a bigger magnet. That’s why I wanna hear from recent nero purchasers. I heard it comes with the fish guard and better magnet now.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Tunze and the ability to turn them on angles is awesome! I have a 6105 and 6095 on a 180
Thank you. Just one of each? So 2 6105s on a 120 should be plenty of flow?

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I like a lot of flow. In my 300 gallon, I have 7x 6105’s and two Stream 3’s. It all depends on the plan for your tank. All of my Tunze pumps were bought 2nd hand. Some are 7-8 years old.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have IM 40, once my mp10 died i was looking for a replacement. I first tried gyre 1K, for my tank to large. I ended up with Nero 5, I like the app and the ablity to change water flow patterns through out a day. Unlike MP & Gyre they had to be done at controller. Plus my gyre went through impeller issues (covered under warranty). Since I place the Nero in my tank, I did have one fish issue, but that was a fish in tank for one day. So I can't say it was the pumps fault. Because I have a small captive breed Mandrain that swims around pump all the time.

For one pump your tank, I still vote Nero's, But have you explored Gyre's? I talk with a lot of people who really like them.

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size tank and am also purchasing pumps at the moment, I was thinking of two of the mp40 or Nero5 then a gyre at one end also. Have you checked out the octo 4, then you can get a hydros wave engine to control all the pumps and you can buy them pump only with no power brick or controller, which is cheaper and makes up for the cost of the controller. I don’t know I know I just keep going in circles here, may go with whatever goes on sale first.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I like a lot of flow. In my 300 gallon, I have 7x 6105’s and two Stream 3’s. It all depends on the plan for your tank. All of my Tunze pumps were bought 2nd hand. Some are 7-8 years old.

wow that’s awesome. Maybe my 2nd tank goals as long as this goes as planned lol

I have IM 40, once my mp10 died i was looking for a replacement. I first tried gyre 1K, for my tank to large. I ended up with Nero 5, I like the app and the ablity to change water flow patterns through out a day. Unlike MP & Gyre they had to be done at controller. Plus my gyre went through impeller issues (covered under warranty). Since I place the Nero in my tank, I did have one fish issue, but that was a fish in tank for one day. So I can't say it was the pumps fault. Because I have a small captive breed Mandrain that swims around pump all the time.

For one pump your tank, I still vote Nero's, But have you explored Gyre's? I talk with a lot of people who really like them.
Honestly haven’t considered the gyres. For some reason I don’t see it as appealing to the eye. But I would be going with 2
I have the same size tank and am also purchasing pumps at the moment, I was thinking of two of the mp40 or Nero5 then a gyre at one end also. Have you checked out the octo 4, then you can get a hydros wave engine to control all the pumps and you can buy them pump only with no power brick or controller, which is cheaper and makes up for the cost of the controller. I don’t know I know I just keep going in circles here, may go with whatever goes on sale first.

haha good to know I’m Not alone. If mp40s were available I would’ve already had two but since they are having production issues I have had time to rethink what I want. I haven’t honestly looked into the octo 4 but will do tonight.
I think honestly they are all good and most people who own them (any of them) like their products. But seems like the tunze have the best reliability and mp40 the most hype.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What did you end up going with?

what is the glass thickness?

I’m trying to search if the 6105 hold on 3/4/25mm pane. I read the magnets are strong so I assume people use them past the 1/2 pane thickness (same with nero5).

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m trying to search if the 6105 hold on 3/4/25mm pane. I read the magnets are strong so I assume people use them past the 1/2 pane thickness (same with nero5).
I went with the MP40s. Haven’t finished my build yet been doing it slowly. The glass is 1/2in. I don’t anticipate on having magnet issues but haven’t tried them yet.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are extremely strong.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back