Nervous.....Waterbox 270.6 build thread! I could use help from the community!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
division 500 protein skimmer is pretty cheap though ($350+ second pump ~$80) much cheaper materials so idk if it is ozone safe though but they do perform well

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Interesting you talked about Kalk slurry. I have been watching many videos on the new topic. Have you tried it? do you keep a container of Kalk slurry? Can you do Kalk Slurry with a K2?

2. Bare Bottom - wish me luck.
1. I do not run kalk slurry yet. I run regular saturated kalk right now. I'm up to about 1g a day, and that's real close to the limit I can run in the summer. You can probably do a slightly more concentrated kalk with the k2 (think keeping the kalk mostly suspended), but I don't think the stirer is going to run fast enough to get a true "slurry".

2. Bare bottom isn't that bad. I don't get why people say it's a bad time. I went bare bottom on my frag tank and nem tanks. There was a little bit of funk, but nothing that wasn't manageable. I wish I had gone bare bottom on my 180g peninsula, but the wife wanted sand.

OP
OP
B

Brett Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost had my new fish tank yesterday! Fedex came to the house to deliver it but the driver said it was too big for him to handle; he then started ******** to me about hurting himself then called his manager and left. Fedex is now saying they will not deliver the tank and want me to come and pick it up. I told them "heck no" and now Waterbox is escalating with their management to get the tank delivered. Not sure how this is going to end up! Why would they put anything on their truck that cannot be offloaded. What a bunch on monkeys!

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost had my new fish tank yesterday! Fedex came to the house to deliver it but the driver said it was too big for him to handle; he then started ******** to me about hurting himself then called his manager and left. Fedex is now saying they will not deliver the tank and want me to come and pick it up. I told them "heck no" and now Waterbox is escalating with their management to get the tank delivered. Not sure how this is going to end up! Why would they put anything on their truck that cannot be offloaded. What a bunch on monkeys!

That's some actual crap right there. I can't imagine how frustrating that is. So far my experience with Waterbox has been fantastic so here's to hoping they can resolve the escalation without too much delay!

So I just found your thread and I figured I'd post mine here too as we both are building the 270.6's!! Mine JUST arrived today without issue from Fedex, so if your guy didn't flake out we both would be on our way within 36 hours of each other :D

Out of curiosity, what's your plans for coral / fish?

Here's my build thread. I plan on following yours to make sure I keep on track xD

OP
OP
B

Brett Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some actual crap right there. I can't imagine how frustrating that is. So far my experience with Waterbox has been fantastic so here's to hoping they can resolve the escalation without too much delay!

So I just found your thread and I figured I'd post mine here too as we both are building the 270.6's!! Mine JUST arrived today without issue from Fedex, so if your guy didn't flake out we both would be on our way within 36 hours of each other :D

Out of curiosity, what's your plans for coral / fish?

Here's my build thread. I plan on following yours to make sure I keep on track xD
@Ugin are you modifying the sump (removing filter socks) for the Clarisea? Or just not use one of the drains? Curious minds want to know.

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ugin are you modifying the sump (removing filter socks) for the Clarisea? Or just not use one of the drains? Curious minds want to know.
I responded back to your question back in my thread, but here's my thoughts on this:

1) I can't find a Clarisea to purchase online or instore, so it's kind of a moot point for me
2) If I could find one, I'd attempt to hook it up to my manifold via some ribbed hose connection. If that doesn't work, I can try hard plumbing it into the drain
3) I may move away from a fleece roller at the start if I can't get ahold of one and move towards a refugium instead

OP
OP
B

Brett Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What custom light bar is this just curious?
On that large of a tank you may want to look into a good calcium reactor instead, with a co2 scrubber on the protein skimmer
Honestly I think the neptune grow light is just an acke grow light with Neptunes name marked on it for another $120. You could save a little if you wanted using either of the ones i linked below, but nothing bad with the actual Neptune Gro itself. Just to give you some extra money to spend on other things like fish and coral

@dedragon I copied this setup for the lightbar. I think this light bar is pretty awesome.

OP
OP
B

Brett Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was delivered by FedEx with a single driver without any issues. Go figure. Stand and custom 80/20 light bar installed. 20amp circuit installed. Just need the tank moved from the garage. The movers should be here on Monday to move the tank. Exciting!

Attachments

• E52024AB-8A82-48D8-B18E-0D87A30D470E.jpeg
    E52024AB-8A82-48D8-B18E-0D87A30D470E.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 212ECF5C-5C1C-4D69-9EA3-B68979CD13E1.jpeg
    212ECF5C-5C1C-4D69-9EA3-B68979CD13E1.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 79
  • F3E7CF86-5248-448B-9ADE-BEE70B78B117.jpeg
    F3E7CF86-5248-448B-9ADE-BEE70B78B117.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 95

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you must be loaded. Good luck with the build. Crazy how much money people throw at this hobby....

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a fantastic build. I admit, I like doing all the planning! One thing I did was coat my wall with clear polyurethene to protect from saltwater damage. I had some on that wall from a previous tank so when I wanted I put on a couple coats. 1 entire wall, 2 just where the tank was going

OP
OP
B

Brett Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in place and ready to go. Almost ready for water!

Attachments

• 697BDF0D-E045-4B2D-9AC9-13F386CF3784.jpeg
    697BDF0D-E045-4B2D-9AC9-13F386CF3784.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
B

Brett Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! So we both have the same tank/stand, but I noticed your sump and ATO area are reversed from mine. Are you planning on doing some custom plumbing?
@Ugin I wasn't planning on it. I did a lot of custom plumbing on my 65 gallon and I kind of regret it. Trying to keep it simple. Do you suggest something different? I was going to replace the filter sock with a Klir7 filter roller?

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a fun build!!

If you want a filter roller the klir di-7 might work as an easy drop in, you probably need just 1 to start.
I'm happy with my smaller di-4.

https://www.coralvue.com/klir-fleece-filter-di-7

As for the kalk slurry after looking in to it I decided to switch to a sodium hydroxide based 2 part for the greater ph boost, I think its way less complicated too.

This is the recipe i use for the alk and i just use brs bulk pharma for the calcium part.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/second-new-diy-two-part-recipe-with-higher-ph-boost.357080/

"You can use this calculator and the entry for Randy's Recipe #1"

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

The benefits to this recipe is if the ph boost i too high you can just switch some of the dosing to brs bulk pharma sodium carbonate.
And if you decide to add a calcium reactor to cut back on dosing the sodium hydroxide will be very helpful to counter the calcium reactors low ph effluent.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably stick with all for reef powder and kalk (if low pH in tank) for now as there isnt going to be much in there for a little bit. All for reef is just super easy to use

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ugin I wasn't planning on it. I did a lot of custom plumbing on my 65 gallon and I kind of regret it. Trying to keep it simple. Do you suggest something different? I was going to replace the filter sock with a Klir7 filter roller?

It's not so much about what I suggest, more about if your plumbing can fit into your sump as-is or if you'll have to reroute your pipes.

That long section highlighted in red is a baffled area where your primary/secondary/emergency drain dump water.

1641930186958.png

The positioning of your sump will mean the plumbing that came with your tank won't reach their intended section of the sump:

1641930289954.png

If you can verify that your plumbing will reach the filter sock chamber, you're golden. However if they don't you'll have to customize your plumbing. Alternatively if you place the sump in the intended slot, you won't have to:

1641930401334.png

OP
OP
B

Brett Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ugin baffling. My drain baffle extends the entire back length of the sump so it seems like I can extend the drains to any part of the baffle. Am I missing anything. Picture attached. Thx.

Attachments

• 7FD37A7F-6F0C-4E3D-8099-6D37ECA0A979.jpeg
    7FD37A7F-6F0C-4E3D-8099-6D37ECA0A979.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 72

Ugin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ugin baffling. My drain baffle extends the entire back length of the sump so it seems like I can extend the drains to any part of the baffle. Am I missing anything. Picture attached. Thx.

Ok perfect, then you should have zero issues. I don't know why I thought it was cut off to a certain section.

Have you leak tested the tank yet?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back