OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build thread you've got! And what a stunning pics!!

Thanks! It has been a few years in the making, and there were some BIG bumps on the way but things are looking up!

Now I want to add a little frag grow out tank on our countertop with a radion over it to see how the sps pieces color differently under T5 and under LED. That will be a bit down the road.

Polyp Lagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have those bumps for sure on mine;) received the tank today so fingers crossed.

Thats a great idea! Would be awesome to see the difference between the two:)

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about tunze pump also. very reliable and you can point the flow where you want it.

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget that you need more push to get the same flow after your frags turn into colonies!

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I think that time is coming, my sandbed isn't getting the flow that it needs to stay clean.

I just cleaned the skimmer and rebuilt to CO2 scrubber, changed the tubing in my masterflex. Just need to swap out my T5 bulbs soon. They are about a year old at this point.

Growth is still good, sticking to ALK of about 7.5 dKh is working well for me with phos of 0.02 and Nitrates at 6-8.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered new bulbs, and an MP40w-QD. Cant wait to see all of the flow with the Gyre and the MP40 running in there. My sandbed is in for some serious moving around.

I am having issues with a strange critter in the tank stunting the growth of some SPS frags. They look like little hairs (little filter feeders) and they grow on the rock, but also in the SPS. The coral tries to grow over them, but they grow too, so these tubes develop and the coral spends all of its energy fighting with them, and none of its energy growing or coloring up like I want.

I have tried crushing the critters, but they come right back (and obviously the SPS gets ticked off). Any ideas would be much appreciated, here is a link to my thread in the hitchhiker ID forum with pics. (edit: turns out they are hydroids I guess, so I'll be reading up on them)

I'll post pics once I get both powerheads in and running, and I am overdue for some new macro shots.

Lastly, after a year of fighting my nitrates down from 40, they finally hit 1ppm last week. I will feed/skim accordingly to keep them at about 5ppm and phosphate at about 0.02ppm. My masterflex and calcium reactor do an awesome job of keeping ALK at 7.5-7.75 dKh.

More to come!

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok some updates, put an MP40 in, upped the flow in the tank a bunch, and the SPS love it. Some that had been just encrusting for over a year started to shoot up arms (example is the paletta pink tip shown here):
PPT.jpg

Here are a few FTS:
FTSR.jpg
FTSF.jpg
FTSL.jpg

poorish idol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding your SPS since you added flow::: did you see a difference in PE? If so, was it strong direct flow or more general that helped?

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding your SPS since you added flow::: did you see a difference in PE? If so, was it strong direct flow or more general that helped?

Honestly I have both now that I have the MP40 and the Gyre.

I have the Ultimate Blue stag directly in front of the returns, TCSB Shortcake #2 directly in front the the gyre (getting blasted but off/on/off), and they seem to love the direct flow, PE is improved over when flow was reduced.

Then I have others in front of and near the output of the MP40 which is more diffuse not so much blasting them. Paletta pink tip loves the high and diffuse flow.

I do worry that some of the SPS growth slows a bit in so much flow because the coral spends more time thickening up and building a really strong base. But they are undoubtedly healthy.

My wife's phone captures the colors well, maybe I can try to take a video showing the flow.

I also just got another MP40 that will replace the gyre to get more silent and diffuse flow (the Gyre is nice, but loud, and more direct flow).

Also, there are gears turning for an upgrade... a big one... but we have another baby coming in a month, so the timeline on that new build will be loooooong.

I also have been toying with going barebottom for more flow and better detritus removal, but I'd have to give up my beloved Potters Wrasses and I don't want to!

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you like the MP40's. They're spendy but worth it imo. Congrats on adding another to the family as well!

I like the aesthetic look of sand in a reef tank too much to go bare bottom, but agree that the benefits of bare bottom are hard to dispute.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold a bunch of frags, re-did how my LEDs are mounted to the ATI (was really crappy before), and am back to two mo40s instead of the gyre. All fish and corals are doing well!

We are still preparing for a big upgrade... a 380g display! But baby #2 comes in about a week so that's on the ol back burner for a bit!

9d3ff828c301e9916586db5e2e4d6e2b.jpg

c991d41f5e9da30c55252e48988ba1ce.jpg

ecf59b68bb5a3d0778af5c9624e753a6.jpg

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mounted a swabbie to my skimmer:
71dc8eb60d4cab0d3ebf849d8ddbdc1e.jpg

changed my GFO, carbon, and Calcium reactor media:
1aa72b863dc215dcd0674179334e27c6.jpg

1f2b24d399a20a770afd6ff81c3fd45a.jpg

cleaned the glass, made some frags, started a bit of light vinegar dosing to test it out since my nitrates are still ~16ppm.

just working on stability. still considering buying the big tank but with the new kiddo we are waiting for things to stabilize a bit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back