OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night my Ecotech Vectra L1 return pump failed at 3am. My wife was up feeding our baby and noticed the tank sounded funny. I got up, removed the Vectra from the system, completely disassembled it, cleaned it, tried to remove some interference that it has "grown" in the magnet chamber of the pump. It looks like the housing may have melted in a few spots and that expanded/melted plastic is dragging on the impeller shaft/magnet. I got it reassembled and reinstalled around 4am or so and fired it up. It is running again but definitely louder.

Was back up for work at 6:30, on the phone with Ecotech at 7, and they are overnighting me a replacement so that I don't need to try to use the bad pump all weekend. Now THAT is good customer support. I just send the faulty unit back once I have it all removed.

One question if anyone else owns a vectra, when I took it apart, the area where the plate behind the impeller slots into the pump body was dry, like it had salt creep it was so dry. That seems like it should be wet and fluid should be surrounding the magnet and impeller shaft to lubricate and cool it. I fear that lack of water movement may have led to the pump overheating/melting/and failing.

It is nice that the pump notices when it is failing though and slows itself down or stops (instead of catching fire). So there is something to be said for the controller!

I am still a fan of the product, it is a strong, affordable, controllable pump. I'll give it a pass and hope that this next one lasts me years (previous one lasted about 6-7 months).

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pump is in place (I called ecotech and had a new Vectra L1 in my hands 25 hours later... impressive!).

Also took down and cleaned the calcium reactor and did a water change, so the reef is looking good.

One other update, I installed a CO2 scrubber on my Skimmer air intake, and it has significantly raised my pH (I was hitting 7.7 regularly and now I reside above 8.0).

_NrTb6f60Xk9XcaHmm4oSoxsm_KYrEUHkorGTRWg-9sDDc0znvlGVROImJFMQB1GKn-xhvxCLg=w1280-h800-no

TKU7w4hXfp4TSckoFAbmd0_YyjOXwmdVYTpJtpMxV4B-fAAXT6QkBil3ogJJhXWYax3VSjfmrw=w1280-h800-no

rzxVD2F2IRfbQ8w-B-AUgP0tPj0R42sxX5owh2Xd5C6tQlWR7bFmzSVF95oA_gxVpsD2F6F-EQ=w1280-h800-no

Notice the significant increase in pH...

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even over the course of just a few days the corals have responded to the higher pH. My alk has been dropping due to higher growth rate (I assume) so I have had to increase CARX drip rate, and (subjectively) colors have improved. My ph tops at about 8.2 and hits about 8 at night, which seems perfect. I will say I know that my probe needs replacing (it has significant biofouling and is old).

My only concern is that the media is already pink/purple, so hopefully it doesn't get exhausted too quickly. I could live with changing media once or maybe twice a month, but not weekly at the cost of roughly $5 per change ($260/year). Unless i could get bulk Soda Lime, but that has proved more expensive than the small bags I have been getting.

I think I mentioned it before, but I also bought 10x 1/2" Berghia Nudibranchs to combat my aptasia problem. They cost $150 shipped and were healthy upon arrival from LA. I put them in, in two groups on the rock, with the lights out and after a slow acclimation. I have not seen one since, nor has there been a dent in my aptasia population. So.... tbd. I'll give them a few weeks before I call them a massive waste of money, but I am mildly concerned...

Lastly, a buddy lent me his 1W handheld laser and I have been roasting aptasia through the glass. It may not be the final solution, but man it feels good. Especially cooking the big ones. I figured I'd give the nudibranchs a hand (if they are still in there).

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New pump is in place (I called ecotech and had a new Vectra L1 in my hands 25 hours later... impressive!).

Also took down and cleaned the calcium reactor and did a water change, so the reef is looking good.

One other update, I installed a CO2 scrubber on my Skimmer air intake, and it has significantly raised my pH (I was hitting 7.7 regularly and now I reside above 8.0).

_NrTb6f60Xk9XcaHmm4oSoxsm_KYrEUHkorGTRWg-9sDDc0znvlGVROImJFMQB1GKn-xhvxCLg=w1280-h800-no

TKU7w4hXfp4TSckoFAbmd0_YyjOXwmdVYTpJtpMxV4B-fAAXT6QkBil3ogJJhXWYax3VSjfmrw=w1280-h800-no

rzxVD2F2IRfbQ8w-B-AUgP0tPj0R42sxX5owh2Xd5C6tQlWR7bFmzSVF95oA_gxVpsD2F6F-EQ=w1280-h800-no

Notice the significant increase in pH...

Even over the course of just a few days the corals have responded to the higher pH. My alk has been dropping due to higher growth rate (I assume) so I have had to increase CARX drip rate, and (subjectively) colors have improved. My ph tops at about 8.2 and hits about 8 at night, which seems perfect. I will say I know that my probe needs replacing (it has significant biofouling and is old).

My only concern is that the media is already pink/purple, so hopefully it doesn't get exhausted too quickly. I could live with changing media once or maybe twice a month, but not weekly at the cost of roughly $5 per change ($260/year). Unless i could get bulk Soda Lime, but that has proved more expensive than the small bags I have been getting.

I think I mentioned it before, but I also bought 10x 1/2" Berghia Nudibranchs to combat my aptasia problem. They cost $150 shipped and were healthy upon arrival from LA. I put them in, in two groups on the rock, with the lights out and after a slow acclimation. I have not seen one since, nor has there been a dent in my aptasia population. So.... tbd. I'll give them a few weeks before I call them a massive waste of money, but I am mildly concerned...

Lastly, a buddy lent me his 1W handheld laser and I have been roasting aptasia through the glass. It may not be the final solution, but man it feels good. Especially cooking the big ones. I figured I'd give the nudibranchs a hand (if they are still in there).
Glad the CO2 scrubber is working well for you. Hopefully the media will last long enough to meet the need.

I had a similar experience with berghias, so I hope yours do the job, but mine pretty well disappeared in the tank. I saw them occasionally for a few weeks, but they didn't do the job I bought them for. I ordered 10 peppermints from @uniquecorals, and they took care of business. ;) I can see how using the laser would DEFINITELY give some satisfaction even if not a longterm solution...it is at least "cathartic." :D

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the CO2 scrubber is working well for you. Hopefully the media will last long enough to meet the need.

I had a similar experience with berghias, so I hope yours do the job, but mine pretty well disappeared in the tank. I saw them occasionally for a few weeks, but they didn't do the job I bought them for. I ordered 10 peppermints from @uniquecorals, and they took care of business. ;) I can see how using the laser would DEFINITELY give some satisfaction even if not a longterm solution...it is at least "cathartic." :D

Yeah, I am worried the nudis were a waste of money. Did you peppermints go after your LPS after they ate the aptasia? I worry about that a bit with my chalices.

Only time will tell if the CO2 scrubber is a sustainable solution!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I am worried the nudis were a waste of money. Did you peppermints go after your LPS after they ate the aptasia? I worry about that a bit with my chalices.

Only time will tell if the CO2 scrubber is a sustainable solution!
I didn't have any issues with the peppermints.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, pH is dropping back down after a week, so the co2 scrubber lasts one week on a refill, which was about half of an $8 bad, so $4 per week to keep my pH high.

I wish that I had a better option. I'll use up the rest of what I have then decide whether to keep it up.

Regarding the nudis, I saw one the other night, but unless their population explodes, I can't see them controlling my growing aptasia issue. I'll give them another week before trying peppermints or a filefish.

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good my friend. I have the same concern with my purchase of 10 nudis. I have seen two in the 5 days since I put them in the tank. My aiptasia outbreak is terrible, I let it go for far too long and they just exploded. Im waiting on some Joe's Juice to help them out a little bit, we will see how it goes.

brownsalt92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the laser your using? A majano wand?

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good my friend. I have the same concern with my purchase of 10 nudis. I have seen two in the 5 days since I put them in the tank. My aiptasia outbreak is terrible, I let it go for far too long and they just exploded. Im waiting on some Joe's Juice to help them out a little bit, we will see how it goes.

Thanks for your kind words! I haven't seen the Nudis at all in weeks, the Aptasia got way worse. I ended up getting 6 peppermint shrimp to see if they would help, I'll let you know how that goes. In my experience, the Nudibranchs were a big waste of money.

What is this laser you have its not a majano wand is it?

It is not a mojano wand, it is an actual 1100mW Blue laser.
Here's a link:
http://www.survivallaser.com/Surviv...s_Rechargeable_Batteries/p556088_2257006.aspx

Safety glasses are a MUST (the laser will blind you before you can blink). You wear the glasses, make sure no one else is in the room, make sure you dont hit any fish, then focus the laser on an aptasia and listen to it burn to a crisp. In my experience it works as well as Aptasia-X, but they both are not good long term control solutions (the aptasia spread too fast).

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please, let me know on the shrimp. Im getting the feeling that your right with the nudi's, I really thought that they would do something.

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to you struggle with co2. Try some houseplants. There are recommendations out there for the best ones but I've read houseplants can be very effective CO2 scrubbers among other things.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to you struggle with co2. Try some houseplants. There are recommendations out there for the best ones but I've read houseplants can be very effective CO2 scrubbers among other things.

I would but we also have two cats that are wonderful and cuddly half the time and the other half devil-creatures. I fear that they might maul a houseplant since we got a fake plant and they mauled that! It is worth a shot though and a great suggestion!

My CO2 scrubber has been working pretty well, costs about $4 a week to run, so is not super cheap, but I hope to only need it in the wintertime. I tried finding soda lime in bulk but no luck so far, $8 for 3lbs seems to be the best deal running.

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General update, I will post some pictures soon, but a little while back I bought some more reagents for my Hanna phosphorus ULR checker, checked it, and sure enough phosphate levels were around 0.1ppm, which my tank does not tolerate (lost a couple frags). I added some GFO, got it down to 0.03ppm, and the corals all gained growth tips within a few days, it has been a pretty clearcut difference.

This highlights the fact that some peoples systems do fine with high phosphates, some do great with high nitrates, some do great with ULNS, and some are in the middle. My system is ok with nitrates up to 25 or 30ppm, and phosphate levels up to about 0.05, and doesn't like ULNS, so as long as I keep those parameters and my alkalinity stable, I will be in good shape.

The potters wrasses now hang out together, the terminal male does all sorts of mating displays and they snuggle up around the top of the tank about once a day. It is fun to watch!

The Aptasia are still at large. The berghia did nothing (or the potters ate them first, but they aren't both active at the same time). The peppermint shrimp have had a minimal impact (six of them in there now). My lasering them is satisfying but not a good control solution. I may just break down and get a copperband, then trade him when the aptasia are dead or return him to the shop if he doesn't eat them.

We are getting solar installed on the house shortly, went with solarcity, getting a 6.6kW system (rather large). Our power bills are $180 right now, so even with the size of the system, our monthly payments will be $20-30 less than our current power bill. California is sunny, mind as well use it! When we upgrade to the forever-tank, we will need that power!

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow and post them, show some new growth. I relocated corals today, the space invaders is one territorial critter!

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were ever wondering what it looks like to kill aptasia with a laser:
20170125_161917.jpg

Lime in the sky, showing growth tips since I reduced phosphate:
s0QokePiXGo_Ml12Q2ypWnb3NULVObB90KMTEJ-bsW58SR37pnIl9Ryf3pL66tuEG8_-awWtfEgkUyEJ_MI05Ma0ce9oZqxR8Q=w304-h220

This is Frag Farmers Red Robin Stag, its just looking a little green from the recent high phosphates... those growth tips are new though!
-pdK7Pwvvbd7cC35yUGW0hsw6a_JVKxT69xJerWs57PYBiDGhT52X-4DkjGStcJnChfXwRIGc698l_pgkDXvUaZx_wUXXpbVoA=w330-h220

hmm I need to wrestle with the uploader to get these to be full resolution and not little thumbnails. rats. more to come...

Big B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally going to try the laser lol. I know its not a perfect solution but I am beginning to wonder if anything is. I have 3 peppermint shrimp and 10 nudi's as well as tried Joes Juice. Nothing seems to be working. The shrimp are new so I am holding on to hope that they start working them over but we will see. In the mean time I will help with the laser and get some therapy while I'm at it. Corals are are looking good, keep up the good work.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any predators that would eat the berghia? If not I've seen that they can take a couple of months to build up a population and then they will explode and decimate the aiptasia population :)

OP
OP
NeverlosT

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any predators that would eat the berghia? If not I've seen that they can take a couple of months to build up a population and then they will explode and decimate the aiptasia population :)

I have the two Potters wrasses, they aren't active at night when the Berghia are, but nonetheless, they may have eaten them...

That being said, I am doubtful that they are still in there an building up their numbers because we have a newborn so I am up all hours of the night, and I creep on the fish at night and I haven't seen an active Berghia in a month.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back