OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, how would you guys add water to the tank (since it's completely empty)? I could add the DI water directly and then add the salt and allow it to dissolve, or I could premix the saltwater and pump it into the tank. Just curious on what opinions might be on how to stage the addition of the live rock and sand.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 200 pounds of Florida live rock has been added to the tank. It seems like a good amount, not too much, not too little.

I'll post some pics once the water clarity improves to the point where photographs look representative.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing how quickly the water cleared as soon as I added the live rock?? :) I'm not sure I understand why, but I'm happy about it. I just put the rock in the tank to get it wet. I will rearrange in a couple of days.

DSC_0230.JPG

The sump is working well so far. The Reef Octopus is kicking some butt :)
DSC_0231.JPG

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals did not make it. There was lots of macro algae, some of which may have made it through the shipping ordeal.

The rock was packaged very well and the pieces were very nice. I used the smaller chunks in the sump and put the larger ones in the display tank.

At first, I thought 200 pounds would be too much rock. Now, I'm happy I bought the extra 50 pounds ;)

Dannyboy0076

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of the final aquascaping. Looks like it's very nice rock. Love your setup so far! I'll be upgrading to either a 90 or a 125 after new years and i may get some of this rock.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I just wanted to get the rock back in the water for a few days before I attempted to actually do some aquascaping. The folks at gulfliverock.com really threw me for a loop. I ordered the rock on the Sunday before Thanksgiving thinking the rock would show up next week. Instead, it showed up the day before Thanksgiving and really caught me off guard. As a result, the rock spent an extra 36 hours in the box that I had not planned on.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock from gulfliverock.com has been awesome. I have about half a dozen bivalves and several SPS and NPS corals still alive on it. I'm really looking forward to seeing some life in my tank! :)

Dekon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I like your aquascape. I'm going to be upgrading to a 120g in a few weeks and was thinking of going with minimal aquascape, your picture just sealed it.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm going to need to move some of the rocks around to kill an aiptasia that is located in an unusually difficult-to-reach location. Believe it or not, that's 200 pounds of live rock.

I've been happy with the live rock so far. I have several coral alive, quite a few live clams/bivalves, and even some of macroalgae is starting to grow back. Keep me posted!

Mangelotta1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone give me a suggestion to why my doser continues to get air in the lines. Should the tubing always be filled?? I'm running RO water now to test. I'm running a bubble magus and do not have experience with dosers. I Manuel dose alk, ca, mg currently.
I need help! Lol

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so here are some updates on the tank build. I just set up my dosing pump. Still a temporary setup, but it will do for now :)
DSC_0283.JPG

The native corals are still doing fine. I've added a few more, and here are some crappy cell phone pics of them until the wife takes some pics with her Christmas present :).

Frogspawn frag I picked up:
DSC_0287.JPG

Acan frag...I've never owned one before, but I really like it!
DSC_0285.JPG

Favia (I think) brain coral:
DSC_0284.JPG

And a pagoda cup coral. I had one of these before (not this nice), and I really loved it :)
DSC_0286.JPG

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is looking great following along hope to create one half as good :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back