New 180 Build - Mini Coop's Dream Tank

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should be fine for sps. Some will tell you that you need 4 kessils in a 180. I have 3 in my 150.

You should get scans, and blasted. Nice red colors.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d really like to get a bubble tip. I just have heard if they die they could kill everything in the tank and that scares me. I’ve never had an anemone.
In a 180 gallon, the bubble tip would need to be very large to cause ANY problems if it dies. They are hardy animals and will do well in most tanks to be honest, especially if you buy from a local reefer and it is a natural split in the aquarium. many of the bta's out there are like 10+ generations of being born in the aquarium, so they are used to the life that comes with it.

You do have valid concern however if you are worried about it moving around and stinging your corals. they move based on changes in light and flow and how secure they feel in their footing. They love a crevice or hole to put their foot in and that will help keep them from moving.

For tank maturity, if you can keep torches happy, have 0 ammonia, and nitrates are 50ppm or less the nem should do just fine. But this is all just my experience, so if someone out there thats smarter than i am chimes in, forget everything i said :) Nice looking tank btw!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 180 gallon, the bubble tip would need to be very large to cause ANY problems if it dies. They are hardy animals and will do well in most tanks to be honest, especially if you buy from a local reefer and it is a natural split in the aquarium. many of the bta's out there are like 10+ generations of being born in the aquarium, so they are used to the life that comes with it.

You do have valid concern however if you are worried about it moving around and stinging your corals. they move based on changes in light and flow and how secure they feel in their footing. They love a crevice or hole to put their foot in and that will help keep them from moving.

For tank maturity, if you can keep torches happy, have 0 ammonia, and nitrates are 50ppm or less the nem should do just fine. But this is all just my experience, so if someone out there thats smarter than i am chimes in, forget everything i said :) Nice looking tank btw!

Thank you all for your input! I think I might try a bubble tip! I’ve always loved them and think my clowns will love it! My lighting and parameters and flow are pretty much stable as can be! My water parameters are also very stable - especially being so new. Nitrate hangs around 10-15. You made me feel so much more comfortable trying the bubble tip. Can I try to place it in a specific spot?

The brains loook great. I’d love to have a clam sometime too! But know the tank needs more maturity first.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is a virtue! I’ve waited and waited until the time was right! They’re here. They’re here!!! And they even ate tonight!! (The day one I didn’t see eat, but hopefully will tomorrow!).
AM= Roe
Put tigger pods in tonight
PM = mysis mixed with rods or Larry’s, selcon, blackworms, calanus soaked in selcon and some garlic. Hopefully a recipe for success!

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man.... those blue stars are just amazing. They're going to want to bury in the sand at night... do you have a container or three for them to do so? They may bury for a day or more in the beginning, but they should be much more calm overall once they have a place to sleep.

Still, super excited for these guys - cant wait to see when they get through QT! :D

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man.... those blue stars are just amazing. They're going to want to bury in the sand at night... do you have a container or three for them to do so? They may bury for a day or more in the beginning, but they should be much more calm overall once they have a place to sleep.

Still, super excited for these guys - cant wait to see when they get through QT! :D

I have the 9x13 pan for them. And yes! They are using it. It’s so nerve wrecking!! Lol. I check on them frequently. Sometimes I have no fish to look at, sometimes all three or maybe just 1 or 2. Lol. Today they are all in the sand. One little guy came out this morning. Hopefully all 3 will be out later so I can feed them. I thought I was going to lose the bigger one, but she seems to be doing better. My challenge today is I’m ramping up copper, but need to do a water change. So I’ll have to add just a bit of copper and try to match what’s in the tank right now. That will be fun. lol

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon my appearance. I ran a 1/2 marathon Saturday and this was right after the 7 hour ride home yesterday!

I’ve lost 2 of my blue stars. Unfortunately I think they were both sick to begin with - neither of them ate very well at all. The good news is that I have one who is almost the therapeutic levels of copper and she is a PIG! But very picky. She DEFINETLEY prefers mysis. She will eat 6-7 pieces at a time 3 times a day!!

And flash graduated to the main tank and is doing “swimmingly”

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I have a fox face and a Ailton (nick and Judy) still in my 120 at my brother and sister in laws house. I really miss them and have all little fish in this tank - they would add so much and I would love to have them home.
But I don’t want to rush things. I am planning on getting a couple more tangs: maybe a powder blue and a Naso. Judy is huge. And I know they can be territorial so I was waiting to get my tangs until last - and she and nick are best buds so I don’t want to bring him over without her.

Sooo....be patient and wait and add the three tangs at the same time (which will be months down the road I’m sure as I will add them last or close to last). Or would it be ok to bring them over and still add 2 baby tangs later?

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not. As much as you want to see them in there now, you know they will dominate the new guys. Ugh. Practice Patience Jedi. Resis the dark side you must.

Ummm. My husband now loves you. Lol.

However he can’t belive you “dirtied up Star Wars with fish talk”.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm. Seriously. We need to be friends.
I am always excited to meet other women who reef but when I saw the Mickey PJs I felt like I mighta just met a true soulmate. Lol. I read your post to my husband too, and he lol'd. He is so not a nerd though. Sadly. He is a Disney freak too though so that works well for us. Did I mention my last name is Music? And that my husband and kids are all musical? I am telling you... we might be soul mates.
Sad about the trio of wrasses but I am glad one seems to be doing well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, where you at Coop?? How's the tank doing?

AHHHHHH!!!! Life . . . has . . . been. . . . NUTTY!!!! I miss my reef peeps so much! I am sorry I disappeared. We have been ending school (my first time in 11 years having to close down and as a tech coordinator we collected 10,600 devices from kids the past 2 weeks! Plus I have a photography business and all of my Seniors waited until the last minute, so I have been busy shooting, editing, processing and then had a wedding in the middle of all of that. (Oh yeah - and I have 2 toddlers). lol. It has been all I can do to keep up with the tank! :)

Everything is going really well!! I did a video update on the tank! (See recorded 6 minute video if you would really like to . . . lol. I narrate and all! :) By now, you know that is how I roll! :).
Highlights and questions:
Highlights first!
- I added my first SPS corals, a red digi, green slime and a stylo. Jury is out on how the green slime is doing. Red digi is great and stylo depends on what day it is.
- My McCosker that got velvet - yeah - he is FAT! His name is Flash. He is doing AWESOME!!!
- I lost 2 of my 3 blue star wrasses. I wasn't too happy about that but the one that is left is AMAZING! Her name is Fantasia. She will ONLY eat Larrys, Rods and Mysis. And she eats a TON!! She loves it!

Question: She actually just successfully completed her 30 days in Therapeutic copper!! WOO HOO!!! I have always transferred to a new tank after that, but for her, she is in a 40 gallon tank with a nice dish of sand. I want to take the copper out so I don't have to move her to a new tank. How can I do this? 50% water change and then run Carbon (if carbon, just the kind that comes with the HOB filters?). And if so, how long will that take to get it out? I don't want to waste a bunch of water. As soon as carbon is out, I plan to do prazipro for the 7 day treatment, then observation for 2 weeks. Then she will GRADUATE!

I am planning a euphilia garden for my tank! I have some local people I have found that are absolutely amazing and have beautiful clean frags, which is awesome! I haven't ever had luck with frogspawn or torches before, but both are doing REALLY well so far!

So, now of course, I am looking to which fish I am going to QT next! :). I am thinking maybe my anthias - just trying to decide what type. Thinking maybe square backs?
Ok - so params just in case anyone wants to know:
Salinity 0.025
Magnesium 1320
po4 - .08
Calcium 420
Alk - 9.5
I am using tropic Marin salt and I LOVE it - SUPER stable params and I am not dosing at all yet.

@Victoria M - I loved the Disney movie thread!!! We just started planning our first family trip for next year and I couldn't be more excited!

Anyway - sometimes you wonder if anyone cares to see this stuff and it was nice to feel loved and missed! So, I promise to try not to leave so long this time! :).

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 196 70.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back