New 180 Build - Mini Coop's Dream Tank

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am super excited for you about the Disney trip. It gives me happy feelings just thinking about friends going to Disney!
I agree about sometimes feeling that you are talking to yourself on build threads. I am not sure, have you seen mine? I get a bit discouraged and then I look at all the large tank threads I don't have time to read either, and I let it go. The videos are great. The thread is great, love seeing your progress.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too!! How are you? How is your tank doing??
Thanks for asking. It has passed the water tests. Progress is stalled until my husband can finish the polishing...sigh. And he is completely swamped with work. And I can not order my LR until Richard from TBS comes back from vacation. But my yellow tail damsel, starry blennie and coral banded shrimp are all doing well in my QT system. :)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking. It has passed the water tests. Progress is stalled until my husband can finish the polishing...sigh. And he is completely swamped with work. And I can not order my LR until Richard from TBS comes back from vacation. But my yellow tail damsel, starry blennie and coral banded shrimp are all doing well in my QT system. :)

Hey! Awesome! I was thinking about getting a damsel but afraid of it bullying. Lol. Send me a link to your thread. I don’t think I’ve seen it!! I would love to go check it out!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - need votes. :) What's next for the QT room?
The blue star leopard wrasse is out in 2 weeks to the main tank.

Thoughts for the next addition(s)
Anthias - thinking square back for a variety of color (I have a lot of red/orange/brown) One Male, 2 female.

OR

Tangs: definately want a powder blue. I already have a large sailfin (which will be added at the same time as the new fish when they are done with QT to prevent as much as possible any fighting).
Thinking of another tang like a naso or a blue hippo (my toddlers want a dori).

Thoughts on this? I will QT them (whatever them is if I have a total of 3 tangs) separate because of bad experiences with a blue hippo and ich. Or do I need to stick with just 2 like the powder blue and the sailfin? Or a purple tang maybe??

Ready -- Set - - go!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias - get all female one will transition to a male.

Tangs - Powder blue last from what I remember they will beat up on any tangs after them. Could be wrong though :)
How about a Tomini, Kole or Two spot? Purple is always a good choice too though ;)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tangs - Powder blue last from what I remember they will beat up on any tangs after them. Could be wrong though :)
How about a Tomini, Kole or Two spot? Purple is always a good choice too though ;)

- ok - I am looking all of those up to see what I like best :) Anthias - if I do all female, for one to transition, do I need to make sure to get small ones? My LFS has a good sized male and one female and might be getting a female in later this week.

Which would you get first - the anthias or the tangs? I know it doesn't really matter :)

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a male Anthias first and then 2 females. One of the females was a little larger than the other and the smaller one only made it a week. I think she got beat up. I would get all the same size and let them figure out who's going to change. When I added the females, the male was very aggressive to them. I know this is pecking order but I also think it contributed to the little ones death.

No reason to get either before the other. But I would get the PBT last. I'm not sure which way I would go. Anthias are fun to watch because they add a lot of motion to the tank but so don't tangs..... tough call :)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a male Anthias first and then 2 females. One of the females was a little larger than the other and the smaller one only made it a week. I think she got beat up. I would get all the same size and let them figure out who's going to change. When I added the females, the male was very aggressive to them. I know this is pecking order but I also think it contributed to the little ones death.

No reason to get either before the other. But I would get the PBT last. I'm not sure which way I would go. Anthias are fun to watch because they add a lot of motion to the tank but so don't tangs..... tough call :)

So you are no help at all. lol :)

maybe it will be what goes on sale first. :) And guaranteed that if I get 3 females one will change? I really want the male color in my tank ;)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok - yes! No go on the tomini, two spot or kole! Not a fan . . . I know most people love them! Not my style. So maybe purple or Blue hippo with the powder blue and the sailfin. Would either be better than the other?

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping Marine fish since 93 and at that time I worked for Orkin in NC. I had a customer that had a salt tank and all he did was rave about his hippo. All I could think about at the time was "It's no PBT" which was my all time favorite. Just don't see the excitement in them. Back then the hippo was a very inexpensive fish too (under $30). The PBT was about $100 back then too.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping Marine fish since 93 and at that time I worked for Orkin in NC. I had a customer that had a salt tank and all he did was rave about his hippo. All I could think about at the time was "It's no PBT" which was my all time favorite. Just don't see the excitement in them. Back then the hippo was a very inexpensive fish too (under $30). The PBT was about $100 back then too.

@Fudsey and @rainmaker - I had sworn off blue hippos for a long time - that is the fish that gave my entire tank ich when I lost all my first set of fish. (of course, i didn't know to QT was a thing at the time). I love the PBT - so beautiful. I am trying to get that color mix into the tank. Like you said though, the PBT and the anthias will add a lot. And I will get the yellow with the foxface. I am glad I didn't just pick one up yesterday because :) I liked the bright blue. . . but I can get that other ways.

I haven't found any . . . but is there any fish that would go with what I have that is green other than green chromis. (like bright green). Or just stick with corals to bring that color in?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back