New 180 Build - Mini Coop's Dream Tank

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing copper? It kind of looks like ich.

Do the spots move around?

Scrapes sounds like an injury.

Another possibility is a skin reaction to copper is it worsening much?

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Testing copper with a Hanna checker. Today is the first day I really noticed it. So I guess I don’t know how long. She is the one I thought I saw ich on to start with. But wasn’t sure if she was picking up bits of stone from being under the rocks.

She has some of the spots in the front of her face that look like faded spots. That is why I was kind of wondering if she could be having a skin reaction from the copper? But I didn’t find anything about that on triggers on anything that I was looking up.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not sand or bits of rock. Hmm

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So - the fins look clear right now. It just her body. I’d say even the spots on the blue part of her body look like pink - like faded skin. Maybe where ich could have attached and let go? I did see what could be ich on her front of her face - a more white looking spot.

Just measured the copper again - 1.98. So it’s good....

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing copper with a Hanna checker. Today is the first day I really noticed it. So I guess I don’t know how long. She is the one I thought I saw ich on to start with. But wasn’t sure if she was picking up bits of stone from being under the rocks.

She has some of the spots in the front of her face that look like faded spots. That is why I was kind of wondering if she could be having a skin reaction from the copper? But I didn’t find anything about that on triggers on anything that I was looking up.

@4FordFamily is asking the right questions and I my opinion is better qualified with treatment with QT since I am Old School;):D

What I see is some dings and dents aka scraps from the rock. She is eating like a pig lick mine. You know I am going to say treat with everything + vitamin C to help with the stress of being in a small environment.

She is a nice looking fish.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily is asking the right questions and I my opinion is better qualified with treatment with QT since I am Old School;):D

What I see is some dings and dents aka scraps from the rock. She is eating like a pig lick mine. You know I am going to say treat with everything + vitamin C to help with the stress of being in a small environment.

She is a nice looking fish.
Thanks! She is definitely a beauty! I’m already treating with everything. Lol. That’s the weird part! Copper, food soaked in selcon along with focus and general cure. . Leave it to me to find a fish that can get sick with even all of that! Lol

The scrapes are on the front of her face too. I guess I’ll just keep a close eye and make sure she keeps eating! Not rushing into anything. . Just didn’t see the spots on her body before and they are pretty noticeable!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so she is new. glad you are treating. I have experienced the scrapes on several fish that healed in time. Bit I could not see enough in the video to have a say. I think a scrap and peak under a microscope is a good idea with this situation.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! She is definitely a beauty! I’m already treating with everything. Lol. That’s the weird part! Copper, food soaked in selcon along with focus and general cure. . Leave it to me to find a fish that can get sick with even all of that! Lol

The scrapes are on the front of her face too. I guess I’ll just keep a close eye and make sure she keeps eating! Not rushing into anything. . Just didn’t see the spots on her body before and they are pretty noticeable!

You have a good save rate though;)

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It’s definitely improving thanks to everyone here.

Had my first ich save consulting someone else the other day. Felt good.

Boom!!(picture a party hat emoji) :D

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!! It is September 1!! I can't believe August is over! In My non-reefing life I am an instructional Technology Coordinator for a school district that has about 10,700 students. And we have devices for every single one of them. And lots of new programs this year! Needless to say - it has been SLIGHTLY busy and INSANE!! lol. I hate to be gone so long from the site, but I have been on the computer working and troubleshooting for people until 10 at night or later.

Anyway - first - whats new?!?!?! What have I missed? How is everyone doing??

The fish in Quarantine are doing great! I have been able to keep up with them! Thank goodness for bio-spira! Lol. The ammonia has been completely under control, so I haven't had to do a crazy amount of water changes! The fish will finish 30 full days of copper treatment this weekend! I was going to get a new tank to transfer them into, but I just think my husband will kill me if I buy another tank! lol. But the thought of all of the water changes to get copper out of 3 tanks . . . UGH! lol. I don't know what to do - Was wondering if I get a 55 gallon if it will be ok for an observation tank for the Naso, powder blue (they have been together for a month in the 40) and add the niger trigger and the pintail fairy wrasse. Thought they might be ok together.
When I add the naso and PB to the main system, my sailfin and foxface are both coming over as well. So, the niger and pintail will stay in observation for 3-4 weeks while the main system adjusts to 4 new larger fish.

Any suggestions or advice is great!

MAIN TANK: Looking good! Not having much luck with anything that is in stick form . . but I do have a red digi doing well. I think I just have a system that likes LPS and softies. I started getting cyano in my overflows . . . so . . . anything I can do to get rid of that? I started getting a tiny bit of it on one of my rocks in the tank too. Just one tiny spot. I turned up the flow a bit, and sucked it off a couple weeks ago. Then this week I actually took the rock out and scrubbed it off. Hopefully I can get that under control.

Feel free to send advice! :) . Hope everyone is doing well. We will record the new fishies going to their homes in a couple weeks, but hopefully I can check in before then!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it has been a while, but we are there!!!!
The naso, powder blue, fairy pintail and Niger Trigger all made it through QT! It has been almost 3 months! 3 weeks of observation, 30 days of copper, then 2 more weeks of observation.
First batch of fish I have ever had that never showed signs of anything! The Niger was a little iffy but I think it was just marks on her from the rock.
The Naso and the Foxface are the ones fighting! Lol. Hopefully they get over it quick! I don’t have a ton of hiding places for large fish, so I may need to bring some rock up from the sump and make a couple more coves.

Also - I’m pretty sure I figured out what the lumps were in my sailfin and foxfaces bellies. I think they were so hungry they were eating sand!!! So I’m continuiing to feed them general cure and hopefully will get that cleared out for them! Poor things!!

Enjoy the videos! I can’t get the one of the naso and PB being added to load! But hopefully can soon!
Batch number 3 going in here in a bit. The Niger and the pintail!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the 2 little fishes mag clip? If it is make sure you check the mag on the wet side. Mine started to rust inside the covering and I didn't even notice it. I also heard that the clip that looks like a grate is better because they can't rip off large chunks of it. This is what I'll be getting once I get my 2 spot tang

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/gourmet-grazer-auqa-gadget.html

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the 2 little fishes mag clip? If it is make sure you check the mag on the wet side. Mine started to rust inside the covering and I didn't even notice it. I also heard that the clip that looks like a grate is better because they can't rip off large chunks of it. This is what I'll be getting once I get my 2 spot tang

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/gourmet-grazer-auqa-gadget.html
Awesome! Good to know! I will check that out!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why - why - why?!?!?!

Would a pintail fairy pick on a McCosker flasher? I have my McCosker, Flash. You may remmeber that he had velvet - but that was months ago. I treated with freshwater bath, 75 minute reef rally. Then straight to new tank. 30 days copper. 3 weeks observation. Made it to main tank - been there for 4 months.

Sunday I added a blonde naso, powder blue, niger trigger (baby), pintail fairy.

All of the sudden the McCosker has a fin that has a white spot and a couple white spots on his head. He looks like he could have been beat up a bit. Maybe scales raised? His tail is a little frayed as well. Or am I looking at Velvet? If velvet, I have NO IDEA how in HEAVENS name it would have gotten in there.

All fish in that tank have been through a 3 week observation (this last most recent batch with no signs of disease). Treated for 30 days with copper, then observed for an additional 2 weeks. Just wanting to know if you have any advice here of who would pick on a McCosker. I can't do anything now but wait. And watch. But I am just sick that I have done everything preventative and could have a problem. I am praying it is just a fight.

(not a good video - but I tried - he is FAST!!!)

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have old eyes and an old phone, but I couldn't see much from the video. what I could see looked like injury was a possibility, but really not sure.

Best of luck, I really hope nothing slipped through your qt.

Back