New 180 Gallon Tank

nycjwi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 180 gallon reef tank and would like to know where I can find information on the following:
1) What my options are for fish that are reef safe and then going to be compatible with each other.
2) What order these fish should be introduced into the tank to control aggression.

Thanks a bunch!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't really a comprehensive reef-safe fish list. A good place to browse around would be Live Aquaria's marine fish section.

Common reef safe fish that we keep would be: clowns, other damsels, dottybacks, gobies, blennies, fairy/flasher/halichoeres/leopard wrasses, hawkfish, cardinals, tangs, dartfish, etc.

As far as compatibility, it's really a case by case basis. Most of the fishes listed above can be kept together, but you'll have to make a wish list and we can help you point out any potential problems.

Order of addition: generally, it's least aggressive to most aggressive and smallest to largest. There are exceptions.

What fish do you like? A 180 is big enough for almost anything we reefers keep, except some of the biggest tangs, angels, triggers, etc.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 180 gallon reef tank and would like to know where I can find information on the following:
1) What my options are for fish that are reef safe and then going to be compatible with each other.
2) What order these fish should be introduced into the tank to control aggression.

Thanks a bunch!
agree with @nereefpat

Start with a fish you really like. Research it. Build from there. Start your 'fish list' and once you've got that finalized, then you can rank list on aggression.

Even then, individuals may differ from species normal generalizations. Some "peaceful" fish aren't and some "aggressive" fish are mellow.

OP
OP
N

nycjwi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't really a comprehensive reef-safe fish list. A good place to browse around would be Live Aquaria's marine fish section.

Common reef safe fish that we keep would be: clowns, other damsels, dottybacks, gobies, blennies, fairy/flasher/halichoeres/leopard wrasses, hawkfish, cardinals, tangs, dartfish, etc.

As far as compatibility, it's really a case by case basis. Most of the fishes listed above can be kept together, but you'll have to make a wish list and we can help you point out any potential problems.

Order of addition: generally, it's least aggressive to most aggressive and smallest to largest. There are exceptions.

What fish do you like? A 180 is big enough for almost anything we reefers keep, except some of the biggest tangs, angels, triggers, etc.
this is really helpful thank you! Can you tell me which fish you see as must haves for pest / algae control - like tangs for algae and filefish for aphasia?
thx ji

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is really helpful thank you! Can you tell me which fish you see as must haves for pest / algae control - like tangs for algae and filefish for aphasia?
thx ji
You've got a great sized tank, and you could go lots of different ways, so I hate to tell you what to do.

For tangs, any individual would work, besides any Naso or the 2 huge sailfins or certain ones we don't see in the hobby. I would probably get 1 of the Zebrasoma, maybe a purple, and 1 Ctenochaetus, maybe kole or truncated. I would also get one of the foxfaces; magnificent foxface lives up to its name. I'm lucky enough to have never had an aiptasia problem, son idk about filefish.

Come up with a wish list, and we can help you :)

Back